• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Wanting To Join Another Military" Thread- Them To Us- Us To Them

I'm pretty far from Canada (TX) to be exact. What does one have to do to become a resident?

EddieUV777 said:
I'm pretty far from Canada (TX) to be exact. What does one have to do to become a resident?

Damn, this IS Canada --- thus, the easiest way would be to join the US military then desert by heading north!! Guaranteed entry to these parts!!  ;D

I AM KIDDING!!

I'll have to google-fu an answer to this question ...

Hahah my original plan was to join the Army. I started reading up on the Forces and well I have major respect for Canada. I've always wanted to go.  :cdn:.

EddieUV777 said:
Can a US citizen join the forces? I'm interested. I just don't know what to do or the steps to take.

Why aren't you interested in joining the Country of your Birth ?

Cheers.

FastEddy said:

Cheers.

Well, I like the Forces and have the utmost respect for Canada and what they stand for. If I had my way, I'd simply move there. It's a very beautiful place and I could see myself living there. Also, I can see myself serving to protect the country.

RyanNS said:
I thought ??? I may have read somthing on here before (although I can't find it now by searching) that it was possible for Canadian military members to transfer to foreign militaries (Other Commonwealth countries, Australia, U.K.). Was I just dreaming this or is this possible? Sorry if this was covered before and I missed it.

The whole issue of 'transferring' from one Commonwealth Army to another is a common misconception.  As a serving British Soldier I couldn't even transfer to my own Navy or Air Force - I would (on paper at least) have to resign from one to enlist in the other.

When I applied to join the CF the recruiter sent me a guide specific to ex-foreign military applicants; the top line reads as follows:

Unfortunately, there is no current arrangement between our countries to facilitate a direct transfer

Almost guaranteed it's the same the other way round.

EddieUV777 said:
Well, I like the Forces and have the utmost respect for Canada and what they stand for. If I had my way, I'd simply move there. It's a very beautiful place and I could see myself living there. Also, I can see myself serving to protect the country.

Are you sure your from TEXAS and why don't you have it your way ?

Its really quite simple, give up your American Citizenship, Migrate to Canada, Get on a Bus, Become a Canadian Citizen (God knows you'd be a welcome change from some of the Garbage we're letting in) Join the CF.

The only way, If you want it, DO IT.

Cheers.

P.S.  ARMYVERN posted some very useful links, read them.

British Army said:
The whole issue of 'transferring' from one Commonwealth Army to another is a common misconception.  As a serving British Soldier I couldn't even transfer to my own Navy or Air Force - I would (on paper at least) have to resign from one to enlist in the other.

When I applied to join the CF the recruiter sent me a guide specific to ex-foreign military applicants; the top line reads as follows:

Almost guaranteed it's the same the other way round.

EME cousin,

Its now called a lateral transfer here in Australia. I did it (when it was referred to as a re-enlistment). We are currently accepting you POMS (and others) by the bucket load, with a promise of citizenship within a few months. I had to wait 2 yrs in the old days.

So YES transfers between BCW nations is reality. I can't speak for Canada, I've been out of that loop for over 15 yrs now, but Australia openly accepts soldiers and officers from the UK, NZ, and Canada, for sure. I and others are evidence of that.

That being said criteria must be met.

Arte et Marte,

OWDU

Greetings

I was wondering if you guys can help me out.  Im a American whos planning to move to Canada sometime this year.  I want to move so I can start a new life with me and my wife.  I respect Canada and the many good people who live there.  Your very tolerant and accepting of other cultures.  I would like to become a part of that.

I havent begin the process of immigration as I dont know where to start.  One site says I need a job another says I can apply for Permanent Residency to live in Canada.  Im very interested in starting this process and eventually earning the right to be a citizen.

I also became very interested in your military after watching the Basic Up series on you tube.  I would like to find out more information and possibly join to serve Canada. 

Does anyone know if this is possible?  If so how would I go about making the first step?

Can someone refer me to a recruiter who can help on such a issue.

Please email me @ JeanAllTrekkie@yahoo.com

JeanStarTrek said:
I also became very interested in your military after watching the Basic Up series on you tube.  I would like to find out more information and possibly join to serve Canada. 

Does anyone know if this is possible?  If so how would I go about making the first step?

Ten years ago, things were different and I knew reservists who were non-citizens. These days, it's extremely unlikely that you'd be accepted until you get your citizenship.

My old Sqn had a UK exchange pilot who liked Canada so much that he decided to join the CF. He went back to the UK at the end of his exchange, jumped through whatever hoops were necessary, and just over a year later was back in Canada, as a CF member. He also was posted back to the same Sqn, with the same rank as when he left the RAF, and kept all his pilot quals. I would say he was probably the exception to the rule, but it just goes to show that when you try hard enough, things can be made to happen.

The Navy gets the odd one - specifically right now VICTORIA (UPHOLDER) class submariners.

FastEddy said:

Cheers.

Some people aren't interested in a 10k a year job with training that is what you will do basically the whole time. Whereas in the Canadian Military people can be an Infantry soldier trained to parachute, drive a LAV3, manage a radio, and use the mortar.

In the U.S. military you can sign up as a guy who uses the mortar and that's pretty much it.

JeanStarTrek I would contact the nearest Canadian Embassy or Consulate as they would be more qualified and equipped to answer your queries vice an internet forum.

Milnet.Ca Staff

Dean22

Please inform us why knowledge/experience you have to back up your post.

Rifleman62 said:
Dean22

Please inform us why knowledge/experience you have to back up your post.

Several years talking to recruiters from both sides, research into their recruiting sites and the unofficial sites, as well as discussion with a General from Canada and a General from the U.S. The Canadian General's opinion matches my own in my post in terms of difference in the level of training in Canadian vs. US soldiers. Also, Pay scales are available to all and any willing to search for them.

Then thats what you should have said in the first place rather than make a statement as if was a fact.

I have spoken personally in the last week to a couple of guys from Canada serving in the US Army. They decided to go US Army for the benefits.

Dean22 said:
Some people aren't interested in a 10k a year job with training that is what you will do basically the whole time. Whereas in the Canadian Military people can be an Infantry soldier trained to parachute, drive a LAV3, manage a radio, and use the mortar.

In the U.S. military you can sign up as a guy who uses the mortar and that's pretty much it.

10k a year eh, please demonstrate more of your GMK (foreign and domestic please) for us, and provide a link to back up your claims. Talk is cheap.

You seem to think the US Forces are inferior, poorly trained, and train only and never deploy. You could NOT be more wrong.

Their pay scale is different, and their benifits are significant, much better than Australia could ever dream of, and I would imagine Canada is no better than Australia.

Go here to LEARN something. http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

OWDU

Back