• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Wanting To Join Another Military" Thread- Them To Us- Us To Them

This is just a thought i've always had about joining the US Army. I was just wondering if anyone knows anyone that has, or how often it happens. I know that one has to be a legal immigrant to the States with permanent residence and a green card to enlist. I'm just wondering if any of you guys know anything about it.

So you want to join the US Army:

First off, before you go running down to the recruiting station and wasting your recruiter’s time, here’s a few things that you need to know:

1) Are you a US Citizen or a Permanent Resident of the United States (Greencard), if you’re not, then don’t even bother wasting their time.
2) Security Clearance: You cannot be a dual national and hold a security clearance. So if you want to go Intel, MP etc. then you best be ready to drop your Canadian Citizenship, but don’t worry it’s actually not that hard, you just need to fill out a rather irritating form, and wait for the government to process it (processing times are between 8 months to a year).
3) MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) here you’ll take your service medical, ASVAB, and FBI screening.
4) Ship Date: Once you finally have completed all these requirements, you’ll ship to basic, and from basic you’ll head to AIT at whichever post it’s held.

Hopefully this helps, and make sure you study for the ASVAB and have all your documents ready, when you head to MEPS.

Good Luck.

If you really go through with it, there are an awful lot of people joining the US military due to the economic troubles as of late. Long wait times now, which I'm sure would be even more so for a Canadian.

hello!

I am a Filipino (female) and would like to join the Canadian army, since my family is planning to migrate in Canada soon.
Is it possible for me to join the army if I had dual citizenship? and what are the other qualifications that I need
in order to be accepted? since I'm a foreigner. :)

Looking forward for the answers. Thank you and good day!

Haha nvm guys, read every page then skipped this one.
The guy below me is a wizard and posted that while my slow Internet tried to let me edit this.

Quick question, apart from the US, what country is the most "involved"? One in which you can apply for infantry without requiring citizenship or permanent residence.

The "guy below you" posted as he did because you mashed reply before reading.

upflames said:
Quick question, apart from the US, what country is the most "involved"? One in which you can apply for infantry without requiring citizenship or permanent residence.

France :nod:

I work with a couple of guys who went that route...I'll say no more to provoke or dissuade you.

Before you ask - they'll school you on French, no worries at all.

Their French Language imersion is unique too..... very hands on.  8)

batz said:
hello!

I am a Filipino (female) and would like to join the Canadian army, since my family is planning to migrate in Canada soon.
Is it possible for me to join the army if I had dual citizenship? and what are the other qualifications that I need
in order to be accepted? since I'm a foreigner. :)

Looking forward for the answers. Thank you and good day!

http://www.forces.ca/en/home/

Danjanou said:
Their French Language imersion is unique too..... very hands on.  8)

Yes, they are very good with Human Rights there (as well as human lefts!).

Canadian citizen, Commonwealth country, British army allows Commonwealth citizens to join. Am I able to become infantry? Or must I acquire citizenship or live in the country for a certain amount of time?

FYI submarines are in the Navy not Army.  For that work I would assume you need a security clearance and that requires US citizenship. Only a immediate family member(US citizen/green card holder)can sponsor you for a green card or citizenship. Grandparents are not immediate family.

Crazy idea,  but if you wish to join the US Navy contact them. To be blunt though unless you can get a US citizenship you won't be joining them.

Since you are getting a degree, I'm guessing you would most likely want to be going officer, which you would certainly need citizenship.

To even get a green card (for me at least) seems damn near impossible, so I would think your desired employment would be out of the question.

werger_9 said:
Hey everyone,

so I am new to the forum and have a question. I am currently a 4th year nuclear engineer looking to join the US nuclear sub division, because well Canada doesn't have one. Is it possible to join the US military even if i am a Canadian citizen or do I need a green carrd? my Grandmother was born in the states and I have relatives that live their currently. How should i go about this?

thanks everyone.

Everyone here has good points. AS per what OPP550 said, It would almost save you time and headache to become a full citizen, if joining the US NAVY is really what you want to do. But I suggest you go to the Navy website, or call, or contact a recruiter. The US Navy site has a live chat like the forces.ca site had at one point ask them all your questions.

GOOD LUCK

Speaking from experience, do not plan to have full US citizenship for at least 10 years, 5 for green card application to be processed, and at least another 5 to qualify for citizenship.

However, you should consider looking at possibly joining the Royal Navy, if you are interested in serving on a nuke boat.

Not sure, but the process for joining up with the RN as a Commonwealth citizen may be established and easier than getting US citizenship.

FYI, you do not need to have citizenship to joint the US military, but you need to be in the country legally. However, as indicated, not being able to get a security clearance will severely limit your options.

cupper said:
However, you should consider looking at possibly joining the Royal Navy, if you are interested in serving on a nuke boat.

"iii. Only candidates holding British nationality are eligible for the Submarine Service. No nationality waivers will be considered.":
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/Careers/How-To-Join/Eligibility

I happen to live just a few kilometers from the US border and have spoken with a recruiter from down south. In order for one to join the US military, one needs to be a Permanent Resident at the very least. Certain occupations (even enlisted ones) have a citizenship requirement. To be an officer, one needs to be a US citizen. That being said, one can join as a PR and then have the military sponsor your citizenship. Once you're got citizenship, it is possible to gain a commission through the ranks.

http://www.army.mil/article/25610/us-government-offers-citizenship-through-military-service/

You can contact them for the most current info -

http://www.goarmy.com/talk-with-us.html

thanks everyone for the input i think i will try to contact the navy to see if it is at all possible

ps thanks for not ripping me a new one still a newbie to the forms

cheers

mariomike said:
"iii. Only candidates holding British nationality are eligible for the Submarine Service. No nationality waivers will be considered.":
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/Careers/How-To-Join/Eligibility

They still allow RCN submariners to do attachments to RN boats though don't they?

cupper said:
However, as far as I know (based on asking the question of a USMC recruiter years ago), you do need to be a citizen in order to become an officer.  Things may have changed since then, but considering that the US Armed Forces are currently downsizing, not likely.

Pusser said:
cupper said:
This is correct. Citizens are the only ones that can become officers in the Army, Navy, Air Force. However I believe in the USMC you must have been born in the USA to be a Marine officer.

Back