• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Via Rail Promotion For CF Members Thread

dapaterson said:
I do not think we should be looking for nefarious plots in this - I suspect it's just a general lack of awareness of certain issues particular to the Reserve Force in some of DND's senior staff.  That is (unfortunately) altogether too common.

I suspect that a simple request for clarification will see VIA Rail amend their qualifications list to include retired Reservists and Reservists with an NDI 10.

http://www.viarail.ca/forces2009/en_conditions.html

I agree, and I wasn't suggesting a "plot". 

I anticipate the second annual complaint to the media from a wife of a soldier currently serving in Afghanistan that because she does not have a valid DND ID card, she is not entitled to the discounted fares.

Also, note that there is no provision for civilian DND employees this year (my wife got free fare last year because she is full time employee with ID), as they hold a different DND ID card from those listed.

SFB said:
I anticipate the second annual complaint to the media from a wife of a soldier currently serving in Afghanistan that because she does not have a valid DND ID card, she is not entitled to the discounted fares.

And then we'll see a return to the Dependent's ID Card.  ::)

dapaterson said:
I suspect that a simple request for clarification will see VIA Rail amend their qualifications list to include retired Reservists and Reservists with an NDI 10.

Last July they booked tickets for my wife and I when I showed them my discharge certificate at Union Station.

Reservists are entitled to a PErm ID if they have 2 years service WITH a COs letter of approval, MY previous CO could never be bothered to write me one even when I was on class B for 3 years on Base... don't know if others will have that problem...

I'm sure Via Rail wont have a problem with the temp ID though

The Mrs and I used it last year to go out to the east coast. This year we're going to Vancouver to visit our oldest daugter.

The service last year was great aboard the train, we paid the extra and booked ourselves a sleeper, it was a very pleasant trip, there and back.

Theres nothing like the train to see how beautiful a country we have.

Thanks again Via!!!!

Last year we had to cancel our planned trip with Via due to the posting. So we are happy Via is offering this speacial offer again this year. We picked our tickets up for a trip out west this summer. As resverists with a Permenant ID and Temporary ID, we had no problems.

Anyone used it to go from Toronto or GTA to the east coast or west coast? I ask because we have 2 little kids and I just want to know what the journey was like and any advice you might have regarding upgrading and perhaps recommend a closer city to visit this summer

jacksparrow said:
Anyone used it to go from Toronto or GTA to the east coast or west coast?

My wife and I took it from Union Station to Miramichi N.B and return last summer. We had a nice time.

jacksparrow said:
Anyone used it to go from Toronto or GTA to the east coast or west coast? I ask because we have 2 little kids and I just want to know what the journey was like and any advice you might have regarding upgrading and perhaps recommend a closer city to visit this summer

Not knowing how good your kids are at travelling, it may be worthwhile to take a few shorter trips.  Ottawa is about 4 hours away, Montreal 5.  Longer trips east would require a transfer in Montreal anyways.

For non-overnight trips, travelling in economy class should be OK, but sleeping in those seats overnight is not recommended.

We've gone down east from Toronto but it was only the two of us. You need a sleeper unless you want to sit in a seat for 24 hours, not recommended with small children. Train leaves GTA for Montreal and then you transfer in Montreal to another train eastbound. The whole trip to Halifax is approx 24 hours including the trip from GTA to Montreal which is about 5 1/2 hours. We left Montreal at 18:15 and arrived in Halifax the next afternoon at about 16:20. If you book a sleeper or berth you have to book it at least a month or more in advance, because they go very fast.

Our trip to Vancouver this summer will take about 3 1/2 days.

I did Ottawa to Marimachi return last yr.

My kids are a bit older (8 -11), and we did it without a sleeper...but for them it was a huge adventure for them both ways. We got the seats facing each other with the table between, the kids just crashed on the floor under the table

If your kids are preschool....get a sleeper.

It's really simple - they will tell you at Via Rail that if you do not have the ID card, a photocopy of something that proves you served (your release form for example) is sufficient. As long as you can show them you served, it doesn't matter whether you are Reg or Reserve, you can utilize the free tickets. This is simply something for the individual soldiers or ex-soldiers. If they are here then they can use it and even take along their family on a reduced rate. This is not something offered to the families of the soldiers per se nor to civilians who work for DND - just the individual soldiers themselves. If someone wants to make a mountain out of it, then Via may just not offer it at all and then none of the soldiers or Vets will have this advantage.

*Dang* That's two years in a row that we have been able to get leave passes, free tickets and then have to cancel the train tickets. At least someone else will have the opportunity to benifit from the freed up seats. We are still going, but the change of plans means a drive out west vice the train.

If the Via Rail union goes on strike, this could put a crimp to CF member's leave plans who were travelling the last week of July.

from Canada.com

VIA Rail union issues strike notice
Canwest News ServiceJuly 21, 2009 5:01 PM

OTTAWA — The union that represents the locomotive engineers at VIA Rail have issued a 72-hour strike notice, meaning workers could be off the job Friday.

"Barring successful completion of the negotiating process, we will begin legal strike action at VIA Rail at noon Friday," Dan Shewchuk, president of Teamsters Canada Rail Conference, wrote in an e-mail to union members Tuesday.

He said workers may begin to reduce operations as early as Wednesday.

The union said workers will continue to operate trains on Friday because there is no intent to strand passengers.

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

:mad: Thanks for the heads up - travelling this weekend; good thing nothing is non-refundable.  Time to examine other options...

There's no guessing now.

Via Rail engineers officially on strike
Summer travel has been derailed for many Canadians now that the union representing Via Rail's 340 locomotive engineers say the workers have walked off the job. more...  comments(126)

CTV News: Ottawa Bureau Chief Robert Fife reports 1:58

http://watch.ctv.ca/news/latest/via-rail-strike/#clip197069

Cheers.

Just wondering if anyone knew if this deal was still active this upcoming July?

Was thinking of taking 4 round trips in July that would cost $750ish total unless they were free of course  >:D.

Nothing has been announced, yet. Normally the announcment for this offer the past two years has come out in March.

I can't wait to hear about it, it will determine my vacation time.

if it works,

Vancouver and Edmonton here i come.

Back