• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The US Presidency 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remius said:
But the president is fond of confederate generals < snip >

Apparently, more of their statues have been coming down in recent days. Even Mayor Rizzo's,
https://www.google.com/search?q=statues+protest&source=lmns&bih=641&biw=1280&hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwidxtWWiuvpAhVZXs0KHQq1AeMQ_AUoAHoECAEQAA#spf=1591374034348

"2. The statement, while it says the time they started to move out protesters, did not mention this was five minutes before Trump started his speech in the Rose Garden. You know the one which he concluded by saying: "Thank you very much, and now I am going to pay my respects to a very, very special place.";"

The coincidence of timing stinks to me too, which is why I think the matter merits investigation and exposure.  But launching a barrage of sanctimony off the say-so of protestors isn't the way to proceed either.

[Add] The most plausible explanation I have gathered from multiple sources is:
1) Someone other than Trump proposed the staging.
2) Barr ordered whoever was supervising the police in the area to clear the area.
3) An irritating agent (pepper balls) was used.  Whether it was "tear gas" or "pepper balls" seems to be beside the point, given its nature.

Sounds similar to the APEC 97 incident.  People on the spot got an order to execute and got it done.

It does matter if the accounts blaming Trump directly for the staging order, the clearance order, and/or the means used are wrong.

>He didn’t start using it after FDA testing and approval did he?

A person doesn't need FDA testing and approval to take a drug that has been tested and approved for other uses.  A prescription would still be needed.

The problem with the withdrawn study, which has been amply commented on, is that it effectively blew up a bunch of other studies in progress and it is now more difficult to restart and execute them.  Regardless of Trump's irresponsibility, a scientifically-curated conclusion as to whether any particular substance helps COVID patients under any particular circumstances is useful - maybe vitally useful - information.

Brad Sallows said:
>He didn’t start using it after FDA testing and approval did he?

A person doesn't need FDA testing and approval to take a drug that has been tested and approved for other uses.  A prescription would still be needed.

To clarify one point, the FDA does not test drugs.

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/special-features/frequently-asked-questions-about-fda-drug-approval-process#:~:text=A%3A%20Drugs%20intended%20for%20human,A%3A%20No.
Q: Does FDA test drugs?

A: No. It is the responsibility of the company seeking approval to market a drug to conduct laboratory and animal tests on the safety and effectiveness of a proposed new drug and then to submit that information to FDA for review by CDER physicians, statisticians, chemists, pharmacologists, and other scientist.

Jarnhamar said:
Why is the president fond of confederate generals?

Not sure but he’s stated it pretty much.  I doubt it’s because he’s a history buff since he does not seem to read very much.  But I’m sure it pleases some of his supporters.  Probably for political reasons.

Jarnhamar said:
Why is the president fond of confederate generals?

That's a very good question seeing as in the end, they were losers, and we all know how he feels about losers.

Like Jarnhamar I don't think its because he reads history (although I would think that they must have taught him some Civil War history at his military academy.

I would think that in the end it's "all 'bout that bass, 'bout that bass, no treble"

;)

McRaven backs Mattis, Mullen: Clearing peaceful protesters for a photo op is not 'morally right'

Retired Adm. William McRaven said there is "nothing morally right" about clearing peaceful protesters amid national unrest following George Floyd's death in police custody.

"Trust me, every man and woman in uniform recognizes that we are all Americans and that the last thing they want to do as military men and women is to stand in the way of a peaceful protest," McRaven, who oversaw the Navy SEAL raid that killed al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden in 2011, said in an interview with MSNBC's "Morning Joe" on Friday.

"You're not going to use, whether it's the military, or the National Guard, or law enforcement, to clear peaceful American citizens for the president of the United States to do a photo op," McRaven said. "There is nothing morally right about that."

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/06/05/mcraven-backs-mattis-mullen-clearing-peaceful-protesters-for-a-photo-op-is-not-morally-right/

POLITICS 06/07/2020 11:05 EDT
Colin Powell Says He 'Cannot In Any Way' Support Trump, Will Vote For Joe Biden

Trump "lies about things and he gets away with it because people will not hold him accountable," the former secretary of state told CNN.

By Hayley Miller, HuffPost US

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell said Sunday that he will vote for Joe Biden in the upcoming presidential election, stating he “cannot in any way” support President Donald Trump’s reelection bid.

“We have a Constitution and we have to follow that Constitution and the president has drifted away from it,” Powell, a Republican, said during an appearance on CNN’s “State Of The Union.”

“I couldn’t vote for him in [2016] and I certainly cannot, in any way, support President Trump this year,” he added.

Asked if he will vote for Biden, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, Powell said yes.

See whole article here: https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/colin-powell-vote-for-joe-biden_n_5edce826c5b65c62d3d27fe3?ri18n=true

and here:

Colin Powell: Trump has 'drifted away' from the Constitution

By Devan Cole, CNN Updated 11:06 AM ET, Sun June 7, 2020

Washington (CNN)Former Republican Secretary of State Colin Powell said Sunday that President Donald Trump has "drifted away" from the Constitution, adding to a growing list of former top military officials who have strongly criticized the President's response to the nationwide protests surrounding the police killing of George Floyd.

"We have a Constitution. And we have to follow that Constitution. And the President has drifted away from it," Powell, a retired general who served under President George W. Bush, told CNN's Jake Tapper on "State of the Union."

The comments from Powell, the first African American secretary of state and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, add to a growing list of rebukes made in recent days by former top officials who have expressed discontent with Trump's strongman approach to the protests sparked by the death of Floyd, a black man who was killed in late May by a white police officer in Minneapolis.

Powell said he's "proud" of what a number of former generals, admirals and diplomats have said about Trump's response last week to the widespread protests, adding that he hadn't released a public statement denouncing Trump's response because he felt he had demonstrated his displeasure with Trump in 2016 when he voted against him.

"I think what we're seeing now, this massive protest movement I have ever seen in my life, I think it suggests the country is getting wise to this and we're not going to put up with it anymore," the retired general told Tapper.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/07/politics/colin-powell-donald-trump-protests-cnntv/index.html

:cheers:

Colin Powell definitely knows a thing or two about fabricating evidence and lying  ;D

The people claiming constitutional violations must be specific about the constitutional provisions violated, and the particulars of the violations.  And if they are specific in the interview or whatever, the media must report it verbatim, instead of leaving us with:

"We have a Constitution. And we have to follow that Constitution. And the President has drifted away from it."

And that is true because...?  No more of this underpants gnome shit.

And when did the protests segue from police reform to Donald Trump?  Because if that has transpired, everyone involved has blown the aim.

Brad Sallows said:
The people claiming constitutional violations must be specific about the constitutional provisions violated, and the particulars of the violations.  And if they are specific in the interview or whatever, the media must report it verbatim, instead of leaving us with:

"We have a Constitution. And we have to follow that Constitution. And the President has drifted away from it."

And that is true because...?  No more of this underpants gnome crap.

And when did the protests segue from police reform to Donald Trump?  Because if that has transpired, everyone involved has blown the aim.

It segued when Trump decided to call protesters the enemy and threaten them with Federal military "domination".

Here's one more general who doesn't buy into Trump. Along the way he makes a very important point for all of you who weren't around at the time of Vietnam and it's immediate aftermath.

Dempsey: Trump's 'inflammatory' threat to use active duty troops hurts US military

The former Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman challenged Trump's protest response.

Benjamin Siegel 7 June 2020,

The president's "inflammatory language" and threats to use military troops to respond to the George Floyd protests across the country this week have strained Americans' relationship with the U.S. military, retired Gen. Martin Dempsey on Sunday warned.

"My generation of military leaders, who entered right after the Vietnam War, spent the majority of our careers, whether it was 20 years, 30 years or 40 years, in my case, trying to rebuild our relationship with the American people," the former Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman said in an interview Sunday with ABC's "This Week" co-anchor Martha Raddatz.

"I felt it important to try to keep that relationship sound and solid," he continued. "Inflammatory language can be an impediment to that."

See full article here: Dempsey

While not everyone supported the anti-Vietnam protesters during the '60s/'70s, the war had clearly poisoned the relationship between the US Military (particularly the Army) and a very large part of the American civilian population. It took a lot of effort to turn "Baby killer" into "Thank you for your service."

It's actually very refreshing to see that the latest generation of US military leadership understands and relishes its constitutional place and is signalling that it will support it.

:cheers:

>It segued when Trump decided to call protesters the enemy and threaten them with Federal military "domination".

Hopefully that's not where it ends.  Otherwise, the situation is another example of how focus on Trump allows the people who created a problem and who have the responsibility and authority to fix it, skate.

Brad Sallows said:
>It segued when Trump decided to call protesters the enemy and threaten them with Federal military "domination".

Hopefully that's not where it ends.  Otherwise, the situation is another example of how focus on Trump allows the people who created a problem and who have the responsibility and authority to fix it, skate.

Assuming we're talking about the current protests, I really don't think anyone is fixating on Trump having caused the initial problem. I for one am quite certain that he didn't march down Pennsylvania Avenue with the KKK in the 1920s

GettyImages-3311699-1500x1151.jpg

Neither were today's Democrats and I'm really not sure who you think has the responsibility and authority to fix it, if not the President of the whole country.

Trump takes every opportunity available to remind the country that he was elected President in 2016. In my book that makes him the person with both the responsibility and the authority to fix the problem. Three and one half years into his Presidency he has done zip to fix this problem. Rather than meet with the protesters, he connects with his base whenever he can. He considers himself a great negotiator but whenever he can he insults or maligns anyone who has an opposing viewpoint. Rather than trying to find allies he looks for scapegoats. What he's been doing recently is throwing gasoline on the fire.

Nope. Not responsible for the problem but also entirely oblivious as to the way to go about resolving it.

:worms:

Pretty much what his successor did in the opposite direction and just more eloquently. Obama had a tendency to stick his nose into things that were not his responsibility and judged people before they had their day in court.

And as it happens, it should not matter if Trump and his foes make it all about him.  The bill House and Senate Democrats are preparing will, provided it has teeth and those are enforced, make it difficult for municipalities and their police forces to evade change.

Trump pushes conspiracy theory about Buffalo protester

President Donald Trump on Tuesday advanced an unfounded conspiracy theory about a 75-year-old protester in Buffalo, New York, who was pushed down by police officers, tweeting without evidence that the confrontation may have been a “set up.”

Trump, who has called himself “your president of law and order,” was once again siding firmly with police over the protesters who have taken to the streets across the country.

With his tweet, Trump attempted to cast doubt on video showing Buffalo police shoving the man, who fell backward and hit his head on the sidewalk. He was seen bleeding from his head as officers walk away.

https://apnews.com/7c53f78f87351c82582608a5a0c44054

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-tweets-conspiracy-theory-buffalo-protester-police-officers/story?id=71150154

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-calls-buffalo-protester-martin-gugino-antifa-provocateur/

Who won the pool on how many hours it would take for Trump to go there?

;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back