• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The stuff the army issues is useless" and "no non-issue kit over seas!"

Of course, as I may or may not have mentioned.. do not even THINK of going anywhere in KAF with any non issue stuff.  Leave it in your vehicle to avoid problems for everyone.  I had to constantly remind my driver NOT to parade around in his CP Gear shirt, even on the FOB.

It depends on which FOB you are at, who the CSM is, and a big one, who is at the FOB at the time. At MSG things were pretty gay because the CSM has a hard on for issued kit. We didnt belong to him so our WO smoothed things over a bit. At SG things are pretty good because the CSM there kind of turns a blind eye to it. All that being said, as soon as the word that the RSM is in bound all the issued shit comes out. We just got it passed on in O grp yesterday that from the incoming TF RSM, non issue rigs in the BG are good to go. No sooner was that said we were told that the next thing on the shit list was Oakleys! ::) It doesnt really end. To put it in perspective though,since I have got here I have not once worn a tac vest, not once worn the ballistic glasses, use my own small pack,and  have rails on my rifle. When you are out and about as long as your pl chain of command doesnt care anything flies.

Speaking as a CSM (albeit a Primary Reserve unit), the CSM and the NCOs are the enforcers of dress policy, so in reality he is doing his job.
BUT...The CSM also has the duty to inform the chain of command on issues regarding dress, the policy of "no non issue kit", etc.
This is where the CSM must use his greatest asset, his common sense. What is good for KAF or the FOB or the base is not what is necessarily good for the desert or the Arctic or wherever we deploy.
In my opinion, there are far too many "dress & deportment" nit pickers (I beleive some of you called them "kitosauruses?") and far too few soldiers in the upper echelons who use their common sense.
There is a time for issue kit only....and that is during ceremonial parades. On actual operations outside the wire, common sense should prevail.
Having said all this, as a Primary Reservist, I don't really want my soldiers to go and spend hundreds of dollars on non issue stuff, only to be told they can't use it. And I agree, only four mags in your vest is far too few. Ten would be much better.
When I was young....(now I know many of you will laugh at this cuz I'm old...not) I used to wonder at what would happen in a firefight with only 5 mags.....would we have to take a "time out" and rebomb?

PhilB, I take issue with one of the things you said..ballistic eyewear.  What are you using for eye pro?  I can definetly say that that eyewear came in handy the day a car disintegrated beside my vehicle.  I forgot to mention it as another piece of issued kit I wore because it becomes second nature to have them on.  I have gotten so used to them that i even wear them for driving back in Canada (who requested all this bright reflective snow anyhow?!?!).

They are a life saver and I hope that any young fellows under your command wear theirs or something that IS equal in protection, and not some shiny kewl Oakleys unless they are rated high enough.  Our tour went out and bought the ESS goggles from the PX (or somewhere) to use for vehicle crews, I wore them a bit but eventually settled with my good ole ballistics!

Cheers, stay safe!

I think Phil wears eye=pro, just not the issued glasses. Myself, I wear the issue glasses around here but I would prefer to wear my oakleys (US army issue).

I seem to remember a time as a young troop, being told that we only need one mag for a section attack!!!!! But we had 4 spares, just in  case. We also used to go on recce patrols without webbing, until,in our unit we got a WO who just served a few years in Africa.  He changed alot of stuff, doctrinely around the old 'Mo unit.

I agree with your observations - it is strange how few MSM pics show troops wearing any BEW.  I haven't heard or read many reasons for it.

OldSolduer said:
Speaking as a CSM (albeit a Primary Reserve unit), the CSM and the NCOs are the enforcers of dress policy, so in reality he is doing his job.
BUT...The CSM also has the duty to inform the chain of command on issues regarding dress, the policy of "no non issue kit", etc.
This is where the CSM must use his greatest asset, his common sense. What is good for KAF or the FOB or the base is not what is necessarily good for the desert or the Arctic or wherever we deploy.
In my opinion, there are far too many "dress & deportment" nit pickers (I beleive some of you called them "kitosauruses?") and far too few soldiers in the upper echelons who use their common sense.
There is a time for issue kit only....and that is during ceremonial parades. On actual operations outside the wire, common sense should prevail.
Having said all this, as a Primary Reservist, I don't really want my soldiers to go and spend hundreds of dollars on non issue stuff, only to be told they can't use it. And I agree, only four mags in your vest is far too few. Ten would be much better.
When I was young....(now I know many of you will laugh at this cuz I'm old...not) I used to wonder at what would happen in a firefight with only 5 mags.....would we have to take a "time out" and rebomb?

This hits home with me. I wear my non-issue rig on my PRes exercises, partly to break it in and train with but also partly to widen a trail that was blazed by other officers  and NCOs before me, taking progressively larger steps in my unit. I occasionally got into a heated discussion with some other officers who scoffed at 10 magazines as a "purely TF thing" that had no relevance in Canada.

I've also seen in the MSM from military 'experts' who say things like "show me one time when Canada has lost a fight due to running out of ammunition".

I think a simple section attack will illustrate the inadequacy of 5 mags quite well. My last ex culminated in a platoon attack using blank ammo. I was in the lead section and we became the firebase as the platoon sorted itself out and did its flanking. This was the only exercise where I was actually carrying extra 5.56mm on stripper clips in addition to my 5 full mags.
Well, H-Hour admittedly took too long, which shows how much practise we needed, but the fact is that i was down to one loaded magazine (and yes, i was applying proper rates of fire.. we even invented a new one, called "slow rate", which was accented with the delightfully pathetic sounds of Mo' rounds now and again). H-hour was still 5 minutes away, so my fireteam partner and I took turns firing and rebombing. There's no way we coud have maintained a meaningful amount of suppressing fire and still had enough for H-Hour. I came across this time and again, and I'm sure others have too during their section attack training.

Edit: I forgot to add that I think one of the reasons why section attacks go on for so long is that the enemy refuses to die until the assault element actually takes the trench. Come to think of it, I didn't run out of ammo nearly as fast on exercises where we used MILES gear. I could probably attribute that to the fact that I haven't done a traditional section attack using MILES - typically we only see the stuff during our Bde exercise, and then only during the Raid / ambush.

Actually, since I haven't ever done a live section attack, would someone who has be so kind as to let me know if they have the same problems?

Bzz,

No worries, I agree that BEW is extrememly important. Me and all the guys in my section and platoon wear eyewear day and night. That being said, Westie is right, I do not wear the issue ballistic eyewear. IMHO the issued ballistic glasses are junk. The are designed poorly, so when folded and stored, the arms rub and the lens causing large vertical scratches on the lens. The frames are poorly designed, in that they contact the face in many different places, adding to heat and sweat. Finally, and my biggest issue the lens. The optical accuity of the lens is, to be blunt, total crap. They have distortion, and additionally they scratch extrememly easily. I realize that they arent bad, and before people start piping up saying I never noticed any problems with distortion etc put on a set of oakleys, or similar high end glasses and then put on the issue glasses. Basically like wearing gas station specials as far as lens quality goes. I wear american issue Oakley M Frames, they have equivalent ballistic protection to the issue glasses and alleviate all of the issues noted above. As a guy MCpl in my platoon so elequently put "12 000 special forces operators cant be wrong". They work for me, dont cause me to have headaches, and are comfortable.

PhilB said:
Bzz,
The are designed poorly, so when folded and stored, the arms rub and the lens causing large vertical scratches on the lens.

Not anymore, when folded and stored with the issued soft-padded velcro cover (or if stored in the original hard case )- they don't scratch.  As for the distortion factor, not so much with the prescription insert. 

Do the Oakley's allow for the prescription insert, or do you and all the SF guys have laser-corrected eyes?

Oakley has prescription lens available - not an insert per say (unless your calling replacement lens an insert)

Infidel-6 said:
Oakley has prescription lens available - not an insert per say (unless your calling replacement lens an insert)

Yeah...what you said.    ;D

westie47 said:
I seem to remember a time as a young troop, being told that we only need one mag for a section attack!!!!! But we had 4 spares, just in  case. We also used to go on recce patrols without webbing, until,in our unit we got a WO who just served a few years in Africa.  He changed alot of stuff, doctrinely around the old 'Mo unit.

Ironically I remember being taught the old no webbing on patrol, 1-2 mags for your C1 is all you need "doctrine" by that same guy (reluctantly I may add) when he was a Sgt prior to his little sojourn in Southern Africa. If anything it demonstrates the value of having soem recent experienc on the two way range in the training system.

Danjanou....
That's what I call a "reality check!"

Frostnipped Elf said:
Not anymore, when folded and stored with the issued soft-padded velcro cover (or if stored in the original hard case )- they don't scratch.  As for the distortion factor, not so much with the prescription insert. 

Do the Oakley's allow for the prescription insert, or do you and all the SF guys have laser-corrected eyes?

Problem being most of us don't thing ahead and put it back in the pretty case or the new velcro case.We usually throw it in our pocket,thus most of us having the scratching issue.

I bought some in Texas for real cheap that meet the military requirements.However I still bring the issued ones with me just incase something breaks  (doubtful) on the ones I paid for.

Should they be placed in the case when not in use?For sure.But for most of us were too busy and it isnt a reality.

PhilB said:
Bzz,

No worries, I agree that BEW is extrememly important. Me and all the guys in my section and platoon wear eyewear day and night. That being said, Westie is right, I do not wear the issue ballistic eyewear. IMHO the issued ballistic glasses are junk. The are designed poorly, so when folded and stored, the arms rub and the lens causing large vertical scratches on the lens. The frames are poorly designed, in that they contact the face in many different places, adding to heat and sweat. Finally, and my biggest issue the lens. The optical accuity of the lens is, to be blunt, total crap. They have distortion, and additionally they scratch extrememly easily. I realize that they arent bad, and before people start piping up saying I never noticed any problems with distortion etc put on a set of oakleys, or similar high end glasses and then put on the issue glasses. Basically like wearing gas station specials as far as lens quality goes. I wear american issue Oakley M Frames, they have equivalent ballistic protection to the issue glasses and alleviate all of the issues noted above. As a guy MCpl in my platoon so elequently put "12 000 special forces operators cant be wrong". They work for me, dont cause me to have headaches, and are comfortable.

Bang on Phil. I have a number of Oakley's, including 2 pairs of M Frames. The optical clarity is outstanding and they are very resistant to scratching. They also fit my face better and don't slide down my nose like the issued BEW. However the issued ones do provide great protection, and accept prescription inserts, so if they work for you, fantastic! I would have loved to have them in the system when I got in, it would have saved a few sticks in the eye when out bush-bashing...

In my opinion the ballistic eye wear is merely a step in the right direction. We can and must improve.
I agree, it they were available years ago, how many eye injuries would have been saved?

OldSolduer said:
In my opinion the ballistic eye wear is merely a step in the right direction. We can and must improve.
I agree, it they were available years ago, how many eye injuries would have been saved?

I agree. 

As much as everyone complains about the BEW, WRT scratching and wear and such, they're pretty good for being purchased in large quantity.   
And, in Operations, they do help... I've seen some pretty nice chunks of shrapnel (from Mortar rounds) embedded in lenses (and faces).  They do work.
I'm a pretty firm believer in the use of BEW, issued or otherwise... but the issued ones aren't that bad.

True, I just believe that the military higher ups have the "if I can't/don't have it, it's not allowed" attitude.  Almost a jealousy thing. 

We had this issue with eyewear before we deployed to A-stan.. Wiley-X (the brand name) glasses were not allowed, a message was put out to not use them.  I equivocated that to someone saying we weren't allowed to use Fords cause the Focus is a dangerous car. It made no sense as there are Wiley-X goggles/glasses that are rated just as high or higher than our BEW.

Back