• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The stuff the army issues is useless" and "no non-issue kit over seas!"

Teeps.... we are discussing this at the mess / friendly level....

Note - I / we are not blaming the supply tech.

Vern, while at some point in time, it will be necessary to reconcile temp issue cards etc, if your gucci TV got trashed in the field, it's a fairly safe bet that the CF standard issue one would have bought the biscuit as well - should it have been there in the 1st place.  The gent needs a vest to get Job #1 done... make him sign for the replacement vest.... he'll be on the hook for that 2nd TV, his gucci vest will have gone bye, bye ... no one is expecting the out of pocket SOB to get away with a 2nd vest he can sell on ebay.

As a Sergeant Major, when I make up the kit list, and get the blessing from on high to issue it, I  and my Pl WO's expect it to be followed within reason. It is the Commanding Officer's order once he signs off on it.
If you don't bring your issue Tac Vest, which will be on the list, and you didn't bother to bring it, and you need it because we told you to get it, well there will be at least 3 people in crap....your Sect Comd, the Sect 2 I/C and the one that didn't bring his ISSUE Tac Vest.
You can in fact be charged with an offence, and don't think you'll get away with it. Now, if you cannot be bothered to follow a simple direction, ie you WILL bring your issue TacVest, then get out of the military.
For those of you that think that's too harsh....too bad. Tough luck.
If the CO or whoever blesses the non issue, fine, but have your issue stuff as well.

Its hard to forget your issue tac vest, as you now get issued an AR tac vest when you go through mirage  >:D

Seriously though, it is ridiculous to not bring your issue kit when the ability to wear non issue stuff is always "hanging in the balance". I sent my TW tac vest in my UAB, I am bringing my chest rig in my AB, and wearing my AR vest when we get it in Mirage. My coc has basically made it clear, at KAF, even "in" the fob wear your tac vest, outside the wire away from prying eyes, doing the job chest rigs g2g. This is until the TF policy, hopefully, changes. From what I have heard the BG RSM is in a bit of a bun fight with the current TF RSM in regards to the non issue kit issue. Basically the BG is saying we have approved certain vests for our soldiers and they will be allowed to wear those rigs on the list.

Thanks for that info. So now there is NO excuse. "I didn't bring it cause I don't like it" is NOT a valid reason.....its garbage. And I don't care if I offended some of you. This is the military, not some rabble who do what they want.
Like I said, if your CO has blessed the non issue stuff, no issue....but if the CO states you will bring it on deployment and you don't have it....if I were your Sergeant Major you would be charged.

Infidel-6 said:
Sorry Vern all I got here was Blah Blah Blah

What about boots that where personal due to chit etc?
   I was not entitled to MkIII's, nor the issue Desert Boots due to my Chit -- I dont thinkt he supply system decided to bring extra Danner Desert Boots for me to theatre --- as such I would have been given a pair of boots I was not entitled to if my others where destroyed.

Of course you only got "Blah blah blah" out of it. That seems to be the norm when supply techs like me explain the LEGAL side of the house that governs us actually retaining OUR jobs and keeping us out of jail. It's not as easy as you'd all like it to be to just give you whatever you wish/want/hope for whenever you wish it to be so ... without risking our careers.

In your case above, we would buy you boots ... Been there. We've bought you two sets of boots to deploy with (Danners in your case) ... that makes you AUTHORIZED to wear them in-theatre and AUTHORIZED to have them replaced at Crown expense (and all legal IAW Treasury Board regulations). You destroy one pair, you have another to wear. I call Canada and have them buy you new Danners and have them shipped over IOR (HPR) --- you have another set within the week. It's been done.

Temp Issue -- I've had stuff go missing on a plane and been issued a SECOND (OMG dont let the treasury board know that common sence broke out) while waiting for my kit to marry uip with me.
  It is in fact common sence to issue a temp set to a troop who's gear was destroyed --
Temp Issue -- yes and that is precisely what I am talking about. Regulations clearly state that personal kit that is of permanent issue type (ie your Tac Vest) is NOT authorized to be issued on a Temp Loan card, but must be issued onto your permanent docs. Tac Vests are a permanent issue now. Your stuff going missing on a plane because they LOST your luggage etc clearly falls into the "Stores Loss and Damage Report" (ie MLR) category. So, yes ... common sense certainly DOES prevail here. YOU would have NO problem getting another TV issued onto your Clothing Docs should your kit happen to go astray on a flight -- "loss" being the operative word. I would duplicate issue you a secong TV IMMEDIATELY, and would file the MLR (Miscelaneous LOSS Report) that noted the reason why ... totally LEGAL and IAW Treasury Board Policy and Directives. Eventually your MLR would come back from the CO recommending Write-off action of your first TV (which is still on your charge at this point in time). I'd write it off and now you'd have one on your charge which is what you physically have. When I do that write-off, my service number is recorded into the system and it is I that gets to explain to the auditor why I performed that write-off of taxpayer property on your behalf. With that MLR for your LOSS, there is no issue at all -- I AM authorized to do so. It's all good and legal -- not fraudulent.

The scenario regarding the TVs left at home in Canada because a member CHOSE to disobey regulations that state your kit WILL accompany you into theatre does not fall into the same category at all. It's not lost, damaged or destroyed. So, the MLR is legally NOT applicable in the circumstances. I already stetd that I WOULD issue the second TV, but the member is GOING to write-up his MLR stating why before that issue occurs. The member can choose to tell the truth on that MLR:

In section two, the member initiates by filling in:

"Explanation by member of loss, damage, or destruction that occured": (Truthful Version): "I disobeyed orders and left my issued kit in Canada. My gucci gear was destroyed, so now I need a duplicate over-entitlement issue made to my clothing docs so that I can do my job." (I have seen this one occur -- and I have witnessed the wrath that it wrought from his CoC, but he did get another TV issued as soon as I had the MLR!!)

OR

(Untruthful Version): "My TV was destroyed in incident XXXX. I need a replacement issued." (Given that -- the soldier had best not TELL me that he is LYING on this signed declaration that is making because you know where that leads ... and I've seen that occur too and the wrath is certainly no less).

Either way, he IS getting that second TV issued ... and either way he proceeds with it ... it's on HIS signature and declaration. In the untruthful scenario (if, as I said, he doesn't inform the Supply staff that he is outright lying on official paperwork) ... if it gets picked up by the Auditor --- it's his ass on the line for fraudulent paperwork -- not MY career. Simple enough?

Now, in your case, if we've re-issued and your MLR has been finalized to write-off the baggage lost TV ... and then Air Canada finds your bag and you get it back ... we then bring a TV back on charge to the QM acoount (reverse the write-off) and cross-refer to the original write-off that we did on it to substantiate why we are now "finding" one that wasn't on charge. That transaction by us is just as auditable and explainable to the AG as the write-off was ... and takes us Sup Techs just as much official paperwork too, but it doesn't affect you any.

because in fact -- it will take longer for the kit to be written off (a few TF1-06 pers here can explain their stories of kit they still did not have for their JNCO/ISCC whatever its called now - due to it being destoryed in Afghan - and the system had not yet replaced it 8+ months after) than it would take the troop to hop on the net to phone Darren or whomever to get a new vest mailed out to them - and have it in hand in Afghan.

I'd need more info to explain the above occurance to you. The policy is that kit that is lost, damaged or destroyed be replaced IMMEDIATELY upon the member reporting to the QM and stating such by filling in the top portion of the MLR. The troop should get the replacement kit right away. The MLR THEN makes it's way through the CoC for their action ... when they are done with their action, the CO then returns it to me (the QM Staff) and THEN write-off occurs. I have seen MLRs take quite a long time to be returned to us by the CoC (over a year in some cases --- especially if one is in-theatre and a roto etc is occuring), so that entiure time the member was holding "over-entitlement" on his clothing docs. That's fine because a copy of his MLR is kept on his doc file when it is initiated and the issue made by us until such time as the original is returned and the write-off occurs. Therefore, id buds docs (or my service number -- ie me -- ) be queried about the member holding above entitlement on his charge a copy of the MLR is there to explain my actions to the Auditor. That is LEGAL.

Frankly why one would want to bring a POS vest into theatre that they did not train with and had different muscle memory?  So they could have an extra in case they got blown up?  Frankly I dont know who many here have been in firefights or IED's - but in my experience when pers kit and pers weapons get holes in them the enduser tends not to have faired all the best either. 
Also given the UAB weight issues -- why bring a 7lbs waste of space?
Just my 200 iraqi dinar

Because the kit is paid for by taxpayers. Therefore, it is governered by the laws of the land. I don't make those laws, and I don't necessarily agree with them ... but they are the laws that I get to work with ... if I want to keep enjoying my career.

I will go out of my way to assist ANY troop that needs it. If it is common sense then I will fight for that troop to have that kit and I will do my utmost to make it happen, but I will NOT break the law and put my career at risk for someone. I have written to NDHQ on behalf of members trying to get "common sense" kit for them that they were not entitled too amongst other actions, and usually --- my writing up of the common sense of the request has resulted in a "yes --- authorized" response from Ottawa. THAT response goes onto the clothing doc file when I make the issue to a non-entitled individual -- so the auditor can then talk to the "authorizer" if they have a problem with it.

But, that's where my assistance ends -- at that legal line. I won't cross over that willingly; I like my job. Now, you can think I'm an ass for thinking that way, but that's just the way it is.

geo said:
Teeps.... we are discussing this at the mess / friendly level....

Note - I / we are not blaming the supply tech.

Vern, while at some point in time, it will be necessary to reconcile temp issue cards etc, if your gucci TV got trashed in the field, it's a fairly safe bet that the CF standard issue one would have bought the biscuit as well - should it have been there in the 1st place.  The gent needs a vest to get Job #1 done... make him sign for the replacement vest.... he'll be on the hook for that 2nd TV, his gucci vest will have gone bye, bye ... no one is expecting the out of pocket SOB to get away with a 2nd vest he can sell on ebay.

Geo, had you read my post, you'd have seen that I stated I would issue the second TV IMMEDIATELY. But, the MLR will HAVE to be filed ... that is the only way I am LEGALLY allowed to issue "over-entitlement" to someone. So, do you see the legal dilema that put us Sup Techs in? There's a reason why they are told to "ensure they bring it into theatre even IF they are allowed by their CoC to wear Gucci." It's not just because someone is being an asshole and wanting them all to carry an extra seven pounds of gear -- it's also got to do with us sup techs being allowed to do our damn jobs legally.

I have, in 20 years, yet to meet a Sup Tech who WOULD NOT issue the second TV, but for gawds sake troops ... let us do it legally. Don't ask us to break the law and risk our careers to save yourself 7 pounds. That's not on.

Again, for those who THINK that they do not need to bring the issue TacVest, think again. If it gets ruined, you'll get a new one I beleive...correct  me if I'm wrong.
If you're chest rig etc gets ruined and you paid for it out of pocket, the military is not bound to replace it.
If you didn't bring the issue TacVest, then you should be charged....if this offends any of you too bad. An order is an order, and it's legal.

It's hard to keep the pace in this thread... ;D

-Skeletor- said:
Security for placing kit at the same place?

As for the looking like we're all in the same Army.. well if someone wearing a different Tac Vest/Chest Rig throws you off an you can't tell that they're still a Canadian Soldier, etc you have problems. We still wear the same uniform, wear Canadian flags an all the IFF patches, etc.

Yes, security for placing kit at the same place, like we're all taught to do. For what security issue that could have been true earlier, might not be anymore. And yes, like we're all the same, etc.

And I agree with the fact that as long as we look like from the same army, non issue kit is not an issue in my mind. As I stated, the end state is what is important.

Beadwindow 7 said:
And uniformity? You're in the desert. It's tan, OD, or Cadpat? Good to go.

It's my firm belief that the reason we have the non-issued kit directives is because of the "We issued everyone this piece of kit. It's the best piece of kit out there, because we obviously care, so you will wear your CF-provided piece of wonderkit" mentality.

That might be the case. And as it's just been said, the rules tend to be more bent as the situation ask for it (ie, TV on inside, whatever on outside the wire...).

A list of acceptable non-issued kit/rig is also a good way to bend the rules. I guess that people that spend $ 1k-2k+ on kit would like to have a look at this list before/during workup training.

Again, at what point is allowing a list done is make do vs enforcing the wear of issued TV is just to save the face....?

MdB said:
Yes, security for placing kit at the same place, like we're all taught to do. For what security issue that could have been true earlier, might not be anymore. And yes, like we're all the same, etc.

K, so placing all your kit in the same area, ie in the LAV, or whatever. Yea, I see no issue between having a issue tac vest or a privatly purchased rig.. not like a non issue one is gonna be any more/less secure than an issue one. An if anything it would be easier too know which one is yours since it would be different from other peoples.

-Skeletor- said:
K, so placing all your kit in the same area, ie in the LAV, or whatever. Yea, I see no issue between having a issue tac vest or a privatly purchased rig.. not like a non issue one is gonna be any more/less secure than an issue one. An if anything it would be easier too know which one is yours since it would be different from other peoples.

He's talking kit and accoutrements in the same spots. IE ... soldiers are taught to carry atropine injectors (if/when issued) into the same place within their kit. Those with epi-pens ... carry in the same spot. Uniformity. You know, as in "fighting order kit list has item X in pouch X, and item Y in pouch Y" kind of way. TCCC kit will be carried "here". That way, when the shit hits the fan ... the troops know exactly where to find what they need on themselves -- or on a fellow soldier who needs their assistance, rather than searching through countless pouchs/pockets looking for something that isn't where it should have been.

That way, you start doing the flunky chicken -- we all KNOW where to find your injector (you ain't getting mine!!) ... and in those circumstances: time saves lives. Directives handed down by the CoC to their soldiers regarding like-placement of these items into their kit -- is done for a reason, and yes -- your physical health (ie the security of your person) sometimes depends upon it.

Ever seen someone require an epi auto-injection because of a bee-sting etc where within 2-3 seconds after being stung their face/throat was swollen to twice the normal size?? I have. And, she needed 3 injections and a medevac to save her life. Had we had to fish through her gear looking for a pen, those precious seconds wasted there may well have caused a second and third injection to be useless because she very well could have been dead instead.

Ah, that makes more sense.

K, so on this subject  myself an majority of other people have clearly marked which pouch is our IFAK; also our Medical kit is supposed to be in the right side of the tacvest so I have my IFAK on the right side of my chest rig.    Having things clearly marked, roughly in the same location on your own rig as it would be on the issue tac vest solves the problem, and also telling buddies where you keep stuff as a just in case works out IMO anyways.

Things like finding ammo are pretty simple, look for the pouches that look like they hold mags, grenades, etc.

Instead of providing a trooper with another tac vest, couldn't there just be a temporary issue of the vest for that member?

Not saying it's right not to bring the vest. Just wondering isntead of an entirely new vest they can just get a temporary issue. Last day of the members stay in theatre he can turn it in to where he got it from?

I'll agree with your post 100% ... it's that minority who have NOT followed those simple rules, who tend to have problems when the shit hits the fan.

I think it goes right along with that old Murphy's Law thing ...

SigOpDraco said:
Instead of providing a trooper with another tac vest, couldn't there just be a temporary issue of the vest for that member?

Not saying it's right not to bring the vest. Just wondering isntead of an entirely new vest they can just get a temporary issue. Last day of the members stay in theatre he can turn it in to where he got it from?

Sure there could be -- but not legally, that would be contrary to regulations and directives. Tac Vests are an individually issued kit item and are required to be issued onto your permanent clothing docs. I've already explained that. DND638s are not authorized to replace (cover someones ass with because he left his in Canada) individually issued clothing items with -- clothing is mandated to be issued onto those electronic docs.

Clothing docs are now electronic and accessible anywhere in the world (even in those FOBs by us suppies) ... so there is zero reason why someone would need one issued on a DND638 Temp Loan card (unless of course it was because he'd left his clothing home in Canada by choice). We issue to his docs -- we keep it legal. He's still getting his TV that he now needs ... and HE can explain why his original is in Canada to whomever in his CoC has issue with that.

Fair enough? He gets his vest. We've done our job legally. He gets to deal with whatever repercussions his own actions cause -- seems fair to me. Tell me how the soldier is put-out in this circumstance?? He's not. He's getting his vest IMMEDIATELY ... and I've done my job properly and followed the orders that I am subject to. He may be put-out that he now has some explaining to do to his CoC -- but that's because of HIS actions -- not mine. His choice to disobey orders to bring his kit into theatre should not result in a situation where I am asked to disobey mine to cover his butt and that is essentially what you are asking the Sup Tech to do here ...

I believe the PER calls it "accountability" and "reliability" for ones own actions.

-Skeletor- said:
Ah, that makes more sense.

K, so on this subject  myself an majority of other people have clearly marked which pouch is our IFAK; also our Medical kit is supposed to be in the right side of the tacvest so I have my IFAK on the right side of my chest rig.   

This is what we did on TF3-06...  IFAK goes in the right utility pouch on the TV, thus if you bought your own rig/vest, it had to have a utility pouch on the right side big enough to hold your IFAK.  For those who had modular rigs, they bought the same bag as the TCCC drop leg, just a MOLLE version which attached to their rig... or a pouch similar and clearly marked... more clearly than the pouch on the issued TV. 

As for the rest of your gear; as stated, everything else is pretty easy to find...

WRT bringing your issued TV;  I don't see an issue with bringing it from a load management point of view.  You're not going to have much of a choice when you get to mirage, weather you wear a TW TV or an AR TV, it's going to be an issued TV...  and as for consuming space in luggage; had I stayed longer, I would have shipped at least 1 barracks box worth of junk I didn't even need to bring back the first chance I got... so the way I see it, next time (if there is one) I find myself on a similar tour, I won't be bringing half the crap I over packed... so there's lots of room.  Besides, it's not like I have to carry it to Afghanistan, so an extra 10-20 lbs. in my AB doesn't make a difference to me.
With that said; my concern would be storage in the LAV.  I can understand not wearing a rig in KAF, but you don't wear a rig around KAF anyway... when we came in, all the gear stayed locked in the LAV till we went out again (minus personal weapon).  But out in a FOB... not so much.  It just doesn't seem practical to me to consume space in a LAV with extra crap that you're not going to use until you're in a place where you don't really need to use it.  Even if a FOB was attacked, I'd still rather have my rig on.
But, either way; not bringing your TV with you from Canada in the first place just seems like a bad idea...  It's issued kit, and at some point, someone will want you to wear it, or at least prove that you have it. And speaking as a Cpl; there's enough to worry about with IEDs and people who want to shoot you without having to worry about disciplinary actions for something as simple as bringing issued kit.... but that's just my take on it.

Piper pretty much has it nailed down on this one.

Not sure if anything changed after R-4 but the TW pattern vest was on the kit list and we had to wear it from the HN to KAF.  In KAF everyone, including guys with their own rigs had to sign for the AR TV the same time we got the AR Flak, helmet covers, etc...

The kit list may have changed but unless the AR vest is being issued in Canada or in the HN now, I can't see that being the case.  The trip into KAF would still require the issue TW Tac Vest.  They were pretty picky about what we wore when leaving and entering the HN facility.

I didn't see anyone with both sets of gear anywhere.  Not enough room obviously.  If your rig was damaged either due to use or poor workmanship, your issue TV was only a drive away in KAF back in your room.  The Qs always had spares anyway, along with BEW and other necessities.

A kit list is a kit list.

OldSolduer said:
Again, for those who THINK that they do not need to bring the issue TacVest, think again. If it gets ruined, you'll get a new one I beleive...correct  me if I'm wrong.
If you're chest rig etc gets ruined and you paid for it out of pocket, the military is not bound to replace it.
If you didn't bring the issue TacVest, then you should be charged....if this offends any of you too bad. An order is an order, and it's legal.

WRONG.. the CF doesn't care what kit you need replaced, especially in the case of destroyed kit. Several soldiers have had their  "gucci" (I hate that term) kit blown up,burnt etc and it was replaced with an issued vest. When a soldier gets wounded the kit if blood contaminated is destroyed no matter what. If you break your non issued rig  you have 2 options, repair it or get issued a CF Tac vest. This is war not the parade square or garrison damaged kit is replaced no matter the reason or what it is (you WILL get the CF issued equivalent).
The lack of forward thinking here is astounding,the issued vest is not adequate for our needs ..period I will never order a soldier under my command to use it if they choose to replace it with something better, regardless of the consequances of some dinosaur being offended.

I think you miss my point MG34. I'm not saying that the issue Tac Vest is the be all and end all. What I'm saying is that the CF will not pay for your ruined non issue vest. Like you said, you'll get an issue vest.
My point is that you, as you well know, are given a kit list. If that list included the CF issue tacvest, then the soldiers best bring it. That's all I'm saying.
I'm all for improving kit, weapons etc, within reason.
Boots are an example. I gather the issue desert boot is not adequate, so lets get something that does work.

I don't think its possible for one boot, one vest/rig to suit an entire military. The pair of boots that works for my feet may be useless for others...

I wish they would just give out a yearly allowance for these kind of things. However, since that probably won't happen, I just wish we could issue everyone from clerk to infantry really high speed stuff, talk about uniformity!

Back