• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Spam and Scam Superthread- Merged

As much as I agree that this is a major scam in progress, it may also be a case of a group of people cloning vehicles, and selling stolen vehicles with legit VINs.

The RCMP released a requested not too long ago that the public report any suspected vehicle cloning to them. I think, scam or not, let the RCMP and/or your local police detatchment be the judge.

Perhaps these people will end up in jail, even if not specifically for impersonating a member of the CF. Justice is justice, afterall.

The RCMP webpage for info on reporting scams can be found here.

Going back to lurk mode now ;) ,

CAW

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/52524/post-680593.html#msg680593

Hmm....

Try to say that five times fast.  ;)

You think the guy would know the tricks of his own trade...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/19/nyregion/19broker.html
Police Say Thieving Broker Lost Loot in a Web Scheme

For investors who lose money in the market, there is understandable concern. For those whose brokers make off with their cash, there is understandable outrage.

But pity the poor clients of Michael Axel, who, the authorities say, not only stole $600,000 of their money, but wired most of it overseas, having fallen prey himself to a common Internet fraud described by prosecutors as “a Nigeria scam.”

Mr. Axel, 68, who lives in Manhattan, was charged with grand larceny and forgery, and if convicted of all charges, could face up to 15 years in prison, according to the Manhattan district attorney, Robert M. Morgenthau, who announced Mr. Axel’s arrest and indictment on Thursday.

Mr. Axel’s lawyer, David Gourevitch, said his client pleaded not guilty. Mr. Axel was released on his own recognizance. Mr. Gourevitch declined to comment on the case.

As a stockbroker for Tripp & Company, a securities dealer, Mr. Axel managed clients’ portfolios.

According to Mr. Morgenthau’s office, starting in 2002, Mr. Axel arranged for checks to be cut from the accounts of one of his clients, a high school teacher, and delivered to Mr. Axel — even though the client had made no such request. Mr. Axel then forged the client’s signature, endorsing the checks to himself and depositing them into his personal checking account, prosecutors said. Mr. Axel was accused of stealing more than $150,000 from the teacher in 2002 and 2003.

Prosecutors said Mr. Axel similarly stole $400,000 from a 90-year-old client after she moved into an assisted living center in August 2006; more than $10,000 from a woman who died in May 2007 at age 88 and jointly held an account with her daughter; and more than $13,000 from an account held by an 83-year-old man and his son.

Along the way, prosecutors said, Mr. Axel himself became a victim of sorts.

In 2005, officials said, Mr. Axel received an e-mail message from someone claiming to be a lawyer for a distant relative who had died and left Mr. Axel $8,750,000. In fact, the money didn’t exist and the e-mail message was part of a common fraud scheme.

But prosecutors said Mr. Axel wired overseas more than $400,000 of the stolen money, “apparently believing that the money would aid in the release of the supposed inheritance.”

Tripp & Company has repaid the stolen money through its own funds and from insurance, and Mr. Axel has repaid Tripp about half of what he stole, Mr. Morgenthau’s office said.

*Emphasis mine

boot12 said:
Try to say that five times fast.  ;)

You think the guy would know the tricks of his own trade...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/19/nyregion/19broker.html
*Emphasis mine

That would be truly Poetic Justice, if were true, but I seriously doubt it. My guess would be that its in a Numbered Swiss Bank Account.

Perpetrators of Confidence Schemes and Crimes are extremely intelligent people (of course I do not include the Nigerian groups in this Category). Unless there was a substantial paper and money trail to support this claim and even then, I would be suspect and investigate further.

It is my opinion that Mr. Axel will end up with a slap on the wrist and even after paying his Lawyer, will end up with a healthy retirement package.

possibly it's just me but, I would force M Axel to go to Nigeria to recover the missing 400K$

geo said:
possibly it's just me but, I would force M Axel to go to Nigeria to recover the missing 400K$

Exactly my point, it would be a exercise in futility and impossibility, therefore a great cover storey to conseal the 400k from recovery.

However I personally would discourage Mr. Axel's venture to Nigeria as they probably would enlist him and use his expertise in these matters to sophisticate their Scams.

As I have previously pointed out, a person of Mr. Axel's (for better words) level & experience in these matters, could not possibly have fallen for a Nigerian Scam and to the tune of 400K.

Cheers.

The following hit one of my e-mail inboxes today:

Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 11:47 AM
Subject: PLEASE REPLY IF OF INTEREST TO YOU

> Greetings Dear Friend,
>
> Andropov Ivanovitch is my name, a Russian soldier currently on tour in South Ossetia in the former Soviet breakaway country of  Georgia.I am currently facing a dire situation and i have thought hard and long of a way to solve this problem i have and only come up with the resolve to ask you for assistance in this matter.
>
> A rather LARGE $$$um of money in foreign currencies was discovered by me and members of my unit  in South Ossetia in building that was seriously burnt and damaged only to find out later that it was a branch of a regional bank here and the room we found the money amongst other valuables was where the deposit boxes were kept.I would very much appreciate your effort in helping me get my own share of this money out of Georgia and in safe keeping until i am ready to get it back from you.
>
> Please know that you would highly be compensated for your assistance in this matter.All details would be forwarded to you once you have expressed interest in been of assistance to me by sending me a mail to this address: russian.amour@live.com
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Lt. Andropov Ivanovitch

- I sure hope there is not a Russian officer whose real name is Lt. Andropov Ivanovitch (doubtful) in South Ossetia at the moment, for he may soon find himself in the basement of No 1/3 Lubyanka Square, wondering if the fingernails on the floor are really his...

;)

Michael O`Leary said:
The following hit one of my e-mail inboxes today:

Of course I certainly hope that you are taking advantage of this fantastic opportunity and of course helping this poor Russian Soldier .

WARNING; There is a very excellent scam of a Paypal Web Site out, which informs you that a $8.34 USD will be deducted from your account for Ebay purchase 3452201 and shipped to your current address. It also requires you submit a  reconfirmation of account information on a very official fill in form with the (*must submit blank fill in areas for every detail from Postal Code to Bank Acct or Credit Card Number. Right along with drop down menu's and Links which (only would work if Form  was completed and submitted. Really so real looking I went and checked my Account and of course, no such transaction had taken place.

Even a paragraph " if you did not place this order or if incorrect contact the Link below", but when clicked it repeated the page. Really a excellent job with all the Paypal Formats, Info Bars really a great counterfeit.

Sorry I didn't make a copy of Page, but Guys & Gals Beware

Cheers.

http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/

Let's get in there folks, and put our name inthe bright lights of nailing these mopes!

dileas

tess

Sadly, some people will fall for this crap.

Recently the Australian Federal Police gave out a figure in the millions of dollars lost by thick Aussies who have fallen for these Nigerian scams.

Some mothers really do have 'em.

Cheers,

Wes

I guess there will never be a shortage of candidates / nominees for the Darwin awards

FastEddy said:

Of course I certainly hope that you are taking advantage of this fantastic opportunity and of course helping this poor Russian Soldier .

WARNING; There is a very excellent scam of a Paypal Web Site out, which informs you that a $8.34 USD will be deducted from your account for Ebay purchase 3452201 and shipped to your current address. It also requires you submit a  reconfirmation of account information on a very official fill in form with the (*must submit blank fill in areas for every detail from Postal Code to Bank Acct or Credit Card Number. Right along with drop down menu's and Links which (only would work if Form  was completed and submitted. Really so real looking I went and checked my Account and of course, no such transaction had taken place.

Even a paragraph " if you did not place this order or if incorrect contact the Link below", but when clicked it repeated the page. Really a excellent job with all the Paypal Formats, Info Bars really a great counterfeit.

Sorry I didn't make a copy of Page, but Guys & Gals Beware

Cheers.
Okay heres a copy I've received today.

The sender of this message, service@paypal.com, could not be verified by Sender ID. Learn more about Sender ID.
Sent :  Saturday, October 11, 2008 1:51 AM
Subject :  Please restore your account access

|  |  | Inbox

Dear PayPal Member,

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.We requested information from you for the following reason:

We have reason to believe that your account was accessed by a third party. Because protecting the security of your account is our primary concern, we have limited access to sensitive PayPal account features. We understand that this may be an inconvenience but please understand that this temporary limitation is for your protection.

Case ID Number: PP-157-769-503

To restore your Account Access click on the link below:
https :// www.paypal. com/cgi-bin/webscr.php?cmd=_processing_Account_login43689473fgh5g4HGGTYGTCCL

Completing all of the checklist items will automatically restore your account access.
This is a third and final reminder to log in to PayPal as soon as possible.

Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety.

In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will remain limited until the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately, if access to your account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further limitations or eventual account closure. We encourage you to log in to your PayPal account as soon as possible to help avoid this.

To review your account and some or all of the information that PayPal used to make its decision to limit your account access, please visit the Resolution Center. If, after reviewing your account information, you seek further clarification regarding your account access, please contact PayPal by visiting the Help Center and clicking "Contact Us".

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

PayPal Account Review Department
----------------------------------------------------------------

PayPal Email ID PP638

This is a phoney and not sent by PayPal.

Cheers.

DS Edit:  Linking removed.

There is another Nigerian scam going around too - I've received a few on Hotmail.
saying he's a Marine in Iraq - I can't even remember the exact content.. but it made me sick.
something like "I am Sgt.. USMC, stationed in Iraq.  I have x amount of dollars, please send me your infomation

Something particularly nauseating about that..Using the Forces In Harm's Way- from either side of the border.

Anne

FastEddy said:
Okay heres a copy I've received today.

The sender of this message, service@paypal.com, could not be verified by Sender ID. Learn more about Sender ID.
Sent :  Saturday, October 11, 2008 1:51 AM
Subject :  Please restore your account access

|  |  | Inbox

Dear PayPal Member,

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.We requested information from you for the following reason:

We have reason to believe that your account was accessed by a third party. Because protecting the security of your account is our primary concern, we have limited access to sensitive PayPal account features. We understand that this may be an inconvenience but please understand that this temporary limitation is for your protection.

Case ID Number: PP-157-769-503

To restore your Account Access click on the link below:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr.php?cmd=_processing_Account_login43689473fgh5g4HGGTYGTCCL

Completing all of the checklist items will automatically restore your account access.
This is a third and final reminder to log in to PayPal as soon as possible.

Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety.

In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will remain limited until the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately, if access to your account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further limitations or eventual account closure. We encourage you to log in to your PayPal account as soon as possible to help avoid this.

To review your account and some or all of the information that PayPal used to make its decision to limit your account access, please visit the Resolution Center. If, after reviewing your account information, you seek further clarification regarding your account access, please contact PayPal by visiting the Help Center and clicking "Contact Us".

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

PayPal Account Review Department
----------------------------------------------------------------

PayPal Email ID PP638

This is a phoney and not sent by PayPal.

Cheers.

Figured I would post this here.

I just got this following e-mail, which I deem spam.

From Miss Edith Kabbah.
Republic of ABIDJAN Cote D'ivoire.

Dearest One.

We are writing this message out of a genuine desperation and with a sorrowful heart and i want you to permit us to inform you about our desire to seek for your immediate assistance.We believe that you will not let down the trust and confidence that we are about to repose on you.

We are Miss. Edith  Kabbah and Yousuff Kabbah ,From sierra leonians .The only children of Mr and Mrs. Jonathan Kabbah, Our father was a very rich diamond merchant, based in free-town, the capital  of sierra leone before he was poisoned to death by his business associates on one of their outings to discuss on a business deal.when our mother died on october 24, 2003, My father took me so special being his only daughter and most senior child.

Before the death of my father on november 26,2006 in a private hospital where he was admitted, He called me secretly to his bed side and told me that he deposited a trunk box containing the sum of $10.000.000USD(Ten  million united states dollars) in a trust and finance security company in abidjan Cote D'ivoire.

That  he also explained to me that it was because of this money he was poisoned by his business partner and that i should seek for a foreign partner in a country of my choice  where we would transfer this money and use it for the upkeep of myself and my little brother by investing it in such projects like  real estate or in the stock market.

We are inclined to offer you 10% of the total sum as a mode of compensation for your efforts after the transferring of these fund to your nominated account overseas and 5% for any expenses that you might incure during the couse of this transaction.

Please be aware that the security company dose not know the real content of the box as money they only know it as family valuable becouse my late father did not declar it to them as money for security reasons.

N.B: I will like you to give me  Your direct telephone number, Your full name and Your house address  in your reply of this proposal for an easy communication.

respectfull your's,
Miss Edith  Kabbah
on behalf of the family.

Wasn't there one like this before? I believe I recall one like it.

Beav

Here's one I received last night (sanitized version posted). I find the use of a deceased service person reprehensible.

ATTN:

Confidant: Michael xxxxxx

l am Barr. Oscar Lint (retired).

l have a knowledge of an unclaimed estate proceed left in a codicil by a deceased Veteran, Scott G.xxxxx....{2nd Battalion,505th Parachute lnfantry Regiment,3rd Brigade combat Team,82nd Airborne Division at Ft Bragg NC..}.

l am contacting you to seek for your co-operation to stand in as a possible heir since you have the same last name as the deceased beneficiary so that the proceed of this estate could be taken as a fortune before the Probate ref:no is revoked for a lack of "Executor/Executrix".

lf you agree to this confidential consultation....l will advise on the programme of work to expedite this claim through a legitimate arrangement for a mutual benefit ..

Thank you for your anticipated response.

Best regards,

Lint.

Now, while I have "relatives" in the US, their branch of the family diverged in the early 1700s, and by no stretch of the imagination could I claim descent sufficient to access any funds secured by this will.

A few years back, I had uninvited communication with a gal from Belarus. Very cute looking, but wanting over 1K to get her into Canada. When I replied that I would not give my firends that much money, the emails became nasty.  ;D I would paste the info if I still had it.

[/quote]

Here's a New one I received today that I haven't seen before. You'll notice their English and Spelling is getting better.

Reply-To :  josh.martins@hydroghana.com
Sent :  Saturday, October 25, 2008 12:24 PM
To :  undisclosed-recipients:
Subject :  Contract oppurtunity in Ghana....Please study carefully

|  | Junk E-Mail | Inbox

We've identified this mail as junk. Please tell us if we were right or wrong by clicking Junk or Not Junk

Dear Sir,

Top of the day to you, my name is Josh Martins and I am a consulting Engineer
for the West African Gas
Pipeline Project. This is a 678 kilometres long pipeline from the gas reserves
in Nigeria's Escravos region
of Niger Delta area to Benin, Togo and Ghana. It is the first regional natural
gas transmission system in
sub-Saharan Africa.

The 569 kilometres long offshore section which runs through the waters of Benin,
Togo and Ghana parallel
to the coastline, approximately 15 kilometres to 20 kilometres offshore in water
depths of between 30 metres
and 75 metres. The new Nigerian onshore section connects the offshore section
compressor station at Lagos
Beach with Nigeria’s existing gas grid. Together with the Chevron-owned existing
Escravos-Lagos pipeline,
operational since 1989, the total length of pipeline is 1,033 kilometres.

My company is an environmental consultancy agency based in Ghana, West Africa
and we carried the
environmental impact assessment on the project. The project has not taken off
because of leaks detected
from the Nigerian side. This, however, is not the issue. The issue is that we
have detected the sum of
US$36.9 Million lying dormant in the accounts of the West African Gas Pipeline
Co. Ltd which is the
company formed to oversee the project.

I wish to seek your consent to use your details to apply for payment of the said
amount as a contractor for
the project. You might want to ask why I cannot apply for this sum on my own and
keep it all to myself.
Believe me, it was the first thought that occurred to me. However, there are
technicalities involved which
cannot be surmounted should I attempt to do it by myself. First, my company has
already been paid for the
environmental consultancy and we received the payment two years ago. Secondly, I
cannot be involved
directly with the above mentioned dormant amount for the simple reason that all
contractors, aside those
of us who carried out the initial assessments, were carried out by foreign
companies and individuals.
Therefore, it would be tough for me to claim the funds on my own.

However, should you wish to assist in this, we will prepare documents to
ascertain that either you or your
company carried out Flow Testing on the project. This way, there will not be any
need for us to provide any
other sort of physical evidence as to your carrying out the contract. The
documents we put together will be
inserted in the appropriate quarters for the purposes of verification. You may
rest assured that I have carefully
thought this out and there is no risk of it not going through. As a matter of
fact, there is no risk involved in
the project.

Should you assist, you will receive 40% of the total sum, 10% will be set aside
for expenses to be disbursed
according to what amounts each of us spend in the process of actualising the
project, which I shall retain
50% as the finder of the project. I do understand that you will have several
questions and I am willing to
answer them to the best of my ability. Kindly email me a response through my
alternate email address
josh.martins@hydroghana.com. This is simply because the issue is sensitive and
my secretary has access to this
email.

Do accept my heartfelt good wishes as I look forward to your response. With very
kind regards,

Josh Martins

Tell your Friends, Keep Safe.

Cheers.

Back