• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Shaving Superthread- All You Want and More....

sonar mike...
Nair is like a flame thrower,, instant burn(except roots) which is why your whisker's
grow back. Wax same thing but your not burning the hair away your ripping it out..
stupid me tried that stuff. Ill stick to my 3.5 inch straight razor, lil horse hair brush
and shaving soap(mug required)..
If i remember correctly on kit inspecion as long as you had the required, anything else
is allowed as long as its up to snuff.,(clean,sharp, and conforming to military stand-
ards you were allowed.. then again that was back in my day...
cheers,
Scoty B

Hey all, I need some quick advice/tips on a potential shaving problem. Basically, I've been using an electric shaver for a few years now after countless years of ruining my face with razors (ive got some ridiculously crappy sensitive skin on my face). Its not really an option to go back to using a razor during basic as that will undoubtedly make my skin breakout like before and result in a very crappy shave (probably wont hold up during inspection).

Realistically, how complicated would it be to bring in an electric shaver for my basic training? Will I have access to an electric outlet for recharging? Or will I be forced to buy a battery operated one? (If I can even find one) Would a note from a doctor do anything? I've been going to him for my skin issues so he is more than familiar.

I am totally committed to my military career, I am 110% ready for the verbal abuse, and I would hate for this to be an obstacle during basic and on later courses.

Thank you for any advice you can give

There are many outlets available. A few people did that on my BMQ just keep it in your pers box or spare kit bag. If you're that worried you could write a memo. And remember it's all a game :p

aginzburg13 said:
Hey all, I need some quick advice/tips on a potential shaving problem. Basically, I've been using an electric shaver for a few years now after countless years of ruining my face with razors (ive got some ridiculously crappy sensitive skin on my face). Its not really an option to go back to using a razor during basic as that will undoubtedly make my skin breakout like before and result in a very crappy shave (probably wont hold up during inspection).

Realistically, how complicated would it be to bring in an electric shaver for my basic training? Will I have access to an electric outlet for recharging? Or will I be forced to buy a battery operated one? (If I can even find one) Would a note from a doctor do anything? I've been going to him for my skin issues so he is more than familiar.

I am totally committed to my military career, I am 110% ready for the verbal abuse, and I would hate for this to be an obstacle during basic and on later courses.

I can't see there being a problem at BMQ since you should have access to outlets however there may be no outlets in the field so prepare yourself. Keep in mind that sometime you may be forced to shave with a blade.

It may be worth your while to shave once or twice with a blade get your rash then go to the MIR and receive a no shave shit. There have been several candidates that have had to go this route from the course I have instructed and there is zero problem with that. The electronic shaver "could" be an issue as we do say you MUST have and USE the razor we see in you locker for inspection.

Bring your electronic, talk to your staff. I think they will probably tell you to go the route I just mentioned as it will actually be easier for you, I mean hey you wont have to shave at all my way....

aginzburg13 said:

There is lots of it:
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=001303416948774225061%3Aqhcx9pz3dku&ie=UTF-8&q=electric+bmq&siteurl=www.google.com%2Fcse%2Fhome%3Fcx%3D001303416948774225061%3Aqhcx9pz3dku#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=electric%20razor%20bmq

So if i received a no shave chit from the MIR, you're saying that I could potentially go through basic without ever having to touch my beard? That seems all fine and dandy, but I really dont want to be that ONE guy that doesn't have to shave. Is this an issue for a few people as well?

Thanks again

In my early years in the Army - aged 18 to about 22 or 23 - I was plagued with tender skin and outbreaks of irritation on my cheeks from shaving. While it never was serious enough to warrant going on sick parade, it was sore and made shaving difficult. One solution is to take extra care to keep your razor just as absolutely clean as you can. This was easy in the days of safety razors and before cartridges came upon the scene, but I found it was an essential step.

I also used to change my blade daily, but with today's pricey shaving cartridges, that is beyond the reach of all but Bill Gates and Warren Buffett.

That being said OS, there are much better shaving creams and aftershaves now. Perhaps some combination of the two with OS's advice above would help?

Yeah, better cremes and gels have made a huge difference. I use either a paste from Nutrogena or gel from King of Shaves. Both are non aerosol so less prone to freezing/low pressure issues in the cold. Both have their own attributes and the King of Shaves stuff has aloe for a wicked cool sensation before, during and after the shave. I recently went back to Sensor Excel blades for something to do and have had better results that when I was younger.

But that's just me

I use a double edge safety razor, and it's great.  The body itself (Merkur classic double edge) cost around $35, and blades are much less expensive.  Right now I'm using a blade (Astra) that comes in packages of 5 for $2.  If you find a blade that you love, you can order blades off the internet for even cheaper.  Having inexpensive blades means that you're not deterred from changing the blades frequently - I change every week - which results in better shaves.  Just make sure that you don't get crap blades from your local pharmacy.  I've tried Astra, Merkur, Derby and Feather with good results.  You need to find a blade that works for you.

aginzburg13 said:
So if i received a no shave chit from the MIR, you're saying that I could potentially go through basic without ever having to touch my beard? That seems all fine and dandy, but I really dont want to be that ONE guy that doesn't have to shave. Is this an issue for a few people as well?

Thanks again

It depends on what the chit says; if it says "Must wait 48 hours between shaves" or "Only required to shave once per 7 day period" or "Candidate exempt from shaving for ------" Whoever examines you at the MIR will determine this.

Don't worry about being that "one guy". This is much more common than you think, the instructors have likely seen it 100 times before. Also if you have a chit, it's not up to your instructors, they have to adhere to what your chit says.

Plus...man, you get to grow a beard. Beards look hard, you will be the coolest looking dude in your platoon ;).

Cheers!

EDITED: Spelling abomination.

What a great thread...who would have known there could be so much to talk about regarding shaving.

I find using a thermal scrub (there are a few decent ones on the market) before shaving helps prepare the skin and hair for a better shave. Also making sure you have a clean/sharp blade obviously, and a shave gel that doesn't irritate you too badly.

It sucks I know, but do your best. I personally don't shave anytime I don't have to. Right now I have a beard since I am on leave. There are quite a few guys that do this. Also, if the MIR will give you a shaving chit, just go with it.  Good staff aren't going to give you a hard time about it, especially if you are a hard worker.

My barber recommended the following and I swear by it:

take a few extra seconds to warm up your face (hot water) then use a pre-shave oil.. which really is any type of mineral oil with vitamin E cheapest I have found was at the body shop but you can find all kinds all over the place. then apply shaving cream (you dont need a lot as shown on tv a thin film works) finally use razor

After shaving, rinse blade in running hot tap water, blow dry or shake vigorously, then spray/drop pre-shave oil/mineral oil on blade.

Retire and shave every second day.

God, as penance,  made women pregnant and men have to shave.

It's Science

Tampa, FL – Forget new gear, weapons, or sophisticated targeting systems. The newest tool coming to combat troops is low-tech: beards. In a report released yesterday, research think-tank Xegis Solutions noted that beards have a direct correlation to combat effectiveness.

Jonathon Burns was the lead researcher in the study.

“We took 100 soldiers. 25 were Special Forces qualified and had beards, 25 were Special Forces qualified without beards, 25 were regular Army allowed to grow beards for the study, and the last 25 were regular Army without beards. All 100 of these subjects were in direct combat in Afghanistan during the study.”

He continued, “Xegis Solutions had several teams of researchers embedded with these troops to make observations on their combat effectiveness. The results were overwhelming, out of the 50 soldiers with beards, zero were wounded or killed and they had a significantly higher accuracy of fire than the soldiers without beards. The soldiers lacking beards had a higher rate of weapons malfunctions and basically, shit went wrong most of the time.”

CENTCOM wasted no time establishing a new rule forcing males to grow beards.

Commander Gen. James E. Mattis issued a statement to all troops in combat zones.

“The time has come for the Armed Forces to accept the facts, and the facts are that beards save lives. All this time it was speculated that Green Berets were better because of their superior and intensive training while in fact, most of it had to do with beards.”

There’s no doubt that many in the Special Forces community will be angered, but General Mattis is convinced.

“It’s settled science. ”

http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/04/pentagon-study-finds-beards-directly-proportional-to-combat-effectiveness/

All well and good until you start scrapping with someone who is not afraid to use chemical weapons ie Sarin, Phosgene etc.

Pretty sure that The Duffel Blog is a military equivalent to The Onion.  ;)

Back