• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Royal Military College Saint-Jean

medaid

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
So I accidentally stumbled upon this site today, and was wondering if this is to be a separate campus for RMC? A separate RMC in general? Or a Preparatory School for those going to RMC?

http://www.cmrsj-rmcsj.forces.gc.ca/index/engraph/home_e.asp

I'm a little confused as it says that it's offering College Level education to ROTP cadets while RMC Kingston offers University Level education. Now I may be a little slow, but are we accepting 3 year College Diplomas for commissioning again?

I haven't seen this campus discussed on here before, shall we start?

From the site...
RMC Saint-Jean, a unit of the Canadian Defence Academy (CDA), includes the following Divisions:

The Non-Commissioned Member Professional Development Centre (NCMPDC);

The Officer Cadet Division;

The Canadian Forces Management and Development School (CFMDS);

The Academic Division / College Programmes; and,

The Services Division, including administration, supply and transportation, and information technology.

These would be university courses run by the College (note the capitalization).  It's a college in name only, similar to RMC in Kingston.  Other than how the school is going to be run, I'm too far out of the loop to say with any certainty.  I'm sure the prep year will still be available, but after that, I'm not too sure.

Okie dokie. I was just confused, and the more I read on the website the more confused I became! Talk about confusing the hell out of potential recruits! Oh my!

From what I remember while doing SLT there as they were re-vamping the Prep Year program, CMR Saint-Jean is basically a 2-year CEGEP program that leads into RMC in Kingston. 

CMRSJ is effectively either a one or two year program. What I mean by that is a candidate is either selected to attend prep year and first year at CMR or solely first year before continuing on to RMC for the final 3 years.

Its basically CEGEP one and two. CEGEP two being equivalent to 1st year university.

Education in Quebec...
High school goes to Grade 11
Two years CEGEP
Three years University

High school in the rest of Canada goes to Grade 12
Four years of University

The CEGEP years correspond to Grade 12 and 1st year University everywhere else.

Francophone students who complete CMR St Jean will go to Kingston and start at .... year 2 - finishing along with everyone else - at the same time & at the same level of education.

Back