• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Return of the Premiership

Aaaaaaaaaarsenaaaaaaal!

I find it shocking that Commissioned Officers are coming out of the closet about their support for 'Football'.

Next thing you know they'll be allowing torn jeans and discussions about politics in the Mess ;)

daftandbarmy said:
I find it shocking that Commissioned Officers are coming out of the closet about their support for 'Football'.

Next thing you know they'll be allowing torn jeans and discussions about politics in the Mess ;)

I'm talking about Broadway musicals - except those performers are much less fragile that footballers.  You know, those guys who fall to the ground writhing in physical agony if anyone comes within five feet of them, but miraculously recover immediately if a red card doesn't come out.

PPCLI Guy said:
More like Arsenoooooo!

Rough restart

Gives healthy margin for improvement!

Anyone can fleetingly cheer for Liverpool... :nod:

daftandbarmy said:

I shocked the RGJ by playing on both the Battalion Rugby Team and the Company Footie team....

NRL has been back up for three weeks now down-under.  They even picked it up on Rogers Sportsnet for lack of other coverage.

Top class rugby and some real skill.  It's League as opposed to Union but def worth a watch.

PPCLI Guy said:
I shocked the RGJ by playing on both the Battalion Rugby Team and the Company Footie team....

You had a Black Lab and a Barbour jacket though, I assume, so all was good :)

Meanwhile, NZ are back to playing real rugby in stadiums full of actual people.

daftandbarmy said:
You had a Black Lab and a Barbour jacket though, I assume, so all was good :)

A golden retriever and a leather "Longmire" jacket.  And my jeans only came in one colour: Blue jeans colour.  Not mustard.  Not red.  I was also very unpopular for being at work at 0800, not taking 2 hours for lunch, and occassionally still being at work at 1600...and only bringing my dog to work one day a week, and refusing to kennel my child in a boarding school.

It was a lot of fun....

PPCLI Guy said:
A golden retriever and a leather "Longmire" jacket.  And my jeans only came in one colour: Blue jeans colour.  Not mustard.  Not red.  I was also very unpopular for being at work at 0800, not taking 2 hours for lunch, and occassionally still being at work at 1600...and only bringing my dog to work one day a week, and refusing to kennel my child in a boarding school.

It was a lot of fun....

We used to watch stuff like that while we were tabbing by with 70lbs on our back going someplace to shoot something. No mystery why we scoffed at the 'Black Mafia' and others :)

I remember taking over from a 'line regiment' in NI once upon a time. The Officers' Mess had taken over one of the SF base sangars and set up their own little 'Rat Pit'. Their Ops O reverently handed me over the key expecting us to preserve the tradition. Before they had left I had the thing gutted, the firing slits pried open, and stuffed it with surveillance gear, a radio, a GPMG and an M203. I then took all their froofy 'bean bag' furniture and had it jammed on their last extraction Puma chalk out of the base. This was the same unit that had caught one of their patrols giving VRN checks from inside the base sauna, generally because their Officers generally never went out on patrol.

Sigh...

PPCLI Guy said:
Duey..

Brighton?

:facepalm:

say no more

To rise to greatness again, one must first “establish the datum of improvement.” ;D

The Penguins lost to the Leafs from time to time. :nod:

As well, anyone can be a Manchester fan boi...

To paraphrase your response "Anyone can be a fan for a good team."

It takes a special kind of self loathing to carry the torch for a team that never wins anything of note.  See: Leafs Nation.

In Britain, the club you support has nothing to do with how successful, or not, they are. It's based on tribe memory and geographic loyalty. If that didn't exist, there wouldn't be five professional leagues with Ninety two teams in England alone, Scotland, NI and Wales have their own setups. That's not including lower league semi professional clubs, all of which put arses in seats regularly to support them. I support my club because I was, a) born within the sound of the Great Bell of Bow, b) within a mile of their home stadium, and c) they have been my father's, his father's, and so on back to the club forming on the banks of the Thames in 1895.  You don't choose your club so much as inherit it.

Back