• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Reserve Thread- A Merged Collection of Q & A's

Bob Terwilliger said:
Why not do both? Join the Reserves AND finish high school. The Reserves are perfectly suited for a high school student. Paid training in the summer and during traditional school breaks(Easter and Christmas), and a chance to find out if you really like the army.

Thanks everyone. I value your opinions.

I'm probably going to go with this.

And I'm sure you've seen many a time here, there will never be a definite "yes." It will be different for everyone. Correct me if I'm wrong, but at 16, you can join with parental permission; and require, at minimum, a grade 10 education. But I was making reference to your questions...mostly concerning deployment. What exactly do you think the army does when not in Afghanistan? Take the hint from recruiting advertisements...we're not just in Afghanistan, even as I type. The military can be called in for quite a variety of things...national and international (emergency, aid, etc). 

And yes, finish high school, and finish it now. I'm 22 and dropped out half-way through grade 12. I couldn't stand the schooling-environment, and most of my teachers failed me, as a student. So I left. I worked for a few months at least, but wanted my schooling. I began with online correspondence, and continued on to the adult high school (much more pleasant environment let me tell ya!...and the freedom I needed to get through it), and finished my diploma that way (and graduated with honours because I was finishing on MY OWN terms!). Think about it!  ;) My brother, similar situation. Had a hell of a time accepting the high school deal until the CF began to screw him around (the C.F.A.T. doesn't appear too friendly if you don't have your high school math.) He had to finish high school and I'm sure he's glad he did. I'm in the process of upgrading my math, as I did half my schooling in French (BIG difference!). I'm doing this to make sure I have the best possible score on my test next month, and it will show to them just how badly I want this. << Look at what everyone is trying to tell you. Don't strive for the bare minimum, you will regret it later. This is the army, not high school.

Have you considered the options you do have? Your counselor should be offering you knowledge, not pushing you further towards quitting. I don't know exactly how you see things, but trust me, you need to be serious at thinking this through, and make sure you've considered every option out there. You will only find yourself with more frustrations and questions if you don't. Try looking at it from a different perspective.

What one of my friends dropped out of high school in grade 11, did correspondence and graduated high school before he would have initially graduated. You can actually drop out now, grab all you need from your local college or adult education center, finish everything in 4 months.

Now, you say you want to go to RMC, So I take it you eventually want to be an officer? RMC is very difficult to get into, and there is a much easier way going about things, it takes longer, but easier. You pick a trade that is semi related to the officer trade you want. Once you get 3 to 5 years in that trade, you can actually request to go to university to get a degree in whatever it is related to your trade. If it is related to your trade, they send you off to school and you get paid for it. Once you get your degree, you can apply to go officer. I know a few people who have done this, and I plan on doing this as well. Some trades you don't need any specific degree. Any degree will do. An armored officer for example, you don't need any specific degree, just a bachelors degree from any accredited Canadian university.

I'm going to suggest sticking with high school and graduating.

If you need a break from high school - which is quite possibly the last easy thing you do before adulthood begins - I don't think the military is the career for you. If you cannot manage to finish one more year of classroom work, there's no way you will handle the stress and the pressure of the military.

I don't mean this as detrimental to you at all. Remember, you're 17, and one could argue that you may lack the life-skills needed to actually make a decision like this. If you have not completed high school, I would bet that you haven't actually experienced life yet - so why you would consider making such a life-changing choice is beyond me.

But whichever you choose, I hope it works out for you.

FINISH HIGH SCHOOL. I did and its about the only thing going for me. It's good to know that you have options in life. Make sure you have options. Don't have to finish pretty, but finish nonetheless.

Trust me.

I'm going to finish high school thanks to you guys.

I'm going to apply for the reserves and look at this correspondence program when I turn 17 this summer.

Honestly it's just the whole high school environment which I hate. I don't mind learning. I hate most of people in my grade, my school is full with these emo/scene kids. My life is boring right now, and I've got this overwhelming feeling to do something that I like with my life. I love all aspects of the army.
That's the main reason I want to join up as soon as possible.

tim.p said:
I'm going to finish high school thanks to you guys.

I'm going to apply for the reserves and look at this correspondence program when I turn 17 this summer.

Honestly it's just the whole high school environment which I hate. I don't mind learning. I hate most of people in my grade, my school is full with these emo/scene kids. My life is boring right now, and I've got this overwhelming feeling to do something that I like with my life. I love all aspects of the army.
That's the main reason I want to join up as soon as possible.

Smart choice, 10 years down the road you will be happy you did.

You're not the first person to have to go through high school having to deal with cliques, jocks, geeks, nerds, prom queens and star quarterbacks, and you won't be the last. You are definitely not the first to feel that high school was anything but boring. However, the ability to stick through something that you find challenging is part of what being in the military is about.

Good for you for making a smart decision and deciding to finish high school. You won't regret it in a few years when the recruiting centre has to choose between you and someone else who hasn't finished.

forza_milan said:
You're not the first person to have to go through high school having to deal with cliques, jocks, geeks, nerds, prom queens and star quarterbacks, and you won't be the last. You are definitely not the first to feel that high school was anything but boring. However, the ability to stick through something that you find challenging is part of what being in the military is about.

Good for you for making a smart decision and deciding to finish high school. You won't regret it in a few years when the recruiting centre has to choose between you and someone else who hasn't finished.

You're right.

What's the likelihood of seeing some action in Afghanistan around the end of 2010? Where would majority of troops be stationed/deployed if the war is over by '11?

tim.p said:
What's the likelihood of seeing some action in Afghanistan around the end of 2010?

Depends on a number of factors including your definition of seeing "some action".

tim.p said:
Where would majority of troops be stationed/deployed if the war is over by '11?

The war is not over for NATO, nor do I believe Canada will put itself into a theatre-esque "posting slump". As to exact numbers of troops and their locations within the AOR, you'll trending into the OPSEC side of things; you won't get a clearer answer than "Kandahar Province".

tim.p said:
What's the likelihood of seeing some action in Afghanistan around the end of 2010? Where would majority of troops be stationed/deployed if the war is over by '11?

WHAT part are you not picking up on here? As a reservist, your options are a bit different from those of Reg. force. If you've done all this research, you would know these things already. You're NOT prepared!.

Seriously, get some real schooling, and do some real research. And please, do us all a favour and find a better reason for joining. You don't have the slightest clue what you're getting into here. If all you're concerned about is "seeing some action", give your damn head a shake. 

Our staff(CFLRS instructors) said we'd probably be on tour, for the combat arms guys at least, by this time next year.

So, I mean, unless they were lying... ??

Edited, for reasons unseen...

tim.p said:
What's the likelihood of seeing some action in Afghanistan around the end of 2010?

Here's the formula for selection for overseas tours:

Michael O'Leary said:
If you join either infantry or armour, you will get posted to a unit after your training.  It may be the unit of your choice, or it may be where the Army needs you most. So, here's the formula:

A.  If you start now, and estimate a year for recruiting and six months for training
B.  And you hope that the planned cycle of unit rotations overseas doesn't change, and pick a trade based on that
C.  And get posted to your unit of choice.
D.  And land in one of the companies/squadrons designated for a tour.
E.  And the government doesn't change its mind on the mission.
F.  And the Army doesn't change its mind on Task Force structure.
G.  And you "DAG Green" all the way through the pre-deployment training cycle.
H.  And you don't piss off your chain of command and get dumped to the rear party for being a dink, or some other technical term for administrative or disciplinary burden.
I.    And there's not another election that pulls us out of Afghanistan (or wherever) at the last moment.
J.    And you don't get appendicitis two days before your departure.
K.    And the sun doesn't go nova.

Then:-

You might get an operational tour within a three-year basic engagement.

S.Simpson said:
Our staff(CFLRS instructors) said we'd probably be on tour, for the combat arms guys at least, by this time next year.

So, I mean, unless they were lying... ??

Edited, for reasons unseen...

You'd have to be finished your DP1 and get to the Battlegroup in Edmonton in time for the standup date of 2 Feb 09. I would think that TF1-10 is possible for the Combat Arms guys from your BMQ, if the cards fall properly, so your staff weren't all that far off.

I am sure you need your grade 12 to be in the regular forces and your grade 10 to be in the reserve force

Chimo

Tim, in my mind you would be doing a mistake by dropping out of High School. Even if most of what your learning in class is totally pointless, while you're at school you're getting older, acquiring maturity and interpersonal skills.

I know it's not easy to find the motivation required to study hard everyday, but it's your job to find a way to motivate yourself and get thru it.

Ask yourself why did so many people you don't know took 15-20 minutes (large messages) to answer YOUR topic... It's because they STRONGLY believe it will be better for your military career and your life to complete H.S.

I guess i know how you feel tho. I've been willing to drop out since my first year in CEGEP (I'm from Quebec). For the past 5 years, i had to motivate myself and study the best I can even if I was bored... Now I'll be getting my bachelor degree in public relations in April 2009. I'm in the process of joining the Forces (waiting to be sworned in) as an Infantry Officer. I couldn't have done that if I dropped out 5 years ago.

Join the reserve, train very hard, both body and mind. If you can't kick your ass hard enough to complete high school, you'll have a hard time in the army... If you get through the recruiting process.. You may find out soon enough that if we strongly suggest you to complete H.S., it's nothing compared to how STRONGLY the military career counselor will URGE you to finish it before joining.

P.S.: If for any reason you HAVE to drop out, join the army that take your free time to travel around the world and all that stuff.

P.S.2: Sorry for the mistakes in my post, I'm doing my best but I'm just a "frenchy" after all  :p

flightca said:
I am sure you need your grade 12 to be in the regular forces and your grade 10 to be in the reserve force

Chimo

flightca,

"Inscrit le:  Aujourd'hui à 03:16:39
Actif dernièrement: Aujourd'hui à 03:47:15"

as a person that was log in less then 32 minutes, and
as with your other post, people went on to tell you to search,
I would ad : "read, read, and read, before posting speculations"...

OK that's it, folks.

The discussion is now going nowhere.

Tim.p, you've got plenty of answers and things to think about.  At the end of the day, you are the one that has to decide what to do.  Best of luck in your upcoming decision.

If there is a pressing urgency to post new relevant info, PM me ref an unlock

Locked.

The Army.ca Staff

Back