• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Reserve Thread- A Merged Collection of Q & A's

I would never recommend yourself dropping out of High school, and any sensible person would not tell you to either.

If you drop out, you close many doors in front of yourself. Outside AND inside of the Canadian Forces.

I recommend the reserves while completing your Grade 12. This way you get a taste of the Forces life and you also get your High School Diploma. This way you will have many more options for trades in the CF and also you would have a better chance in promotions up the road. (While I am not 100% on how much effect it would have on your promotions with or without a degree - so do not quote me there :p )

Marshall

Marshall said:
I would never recommend yourself dropping out of High school, and any sensible person would not tell you to either.

If you drop out, you close many doors in front of yourself. Outside AND inside of the Canadian Forces.

I recommend the reserves while completing your Grade 12. This way you get a taste of the Forces life and you also get your High School Diploma. This way you will have many more options for trades in the CF and also you would have a better chance in promotions up the road. (While I am not 100% on how much effect it would have on your promotions with or without a degree - so do not quote me there :p )

Marshall

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is this is the reply I keep on seeing. I realize it's a horrible decision to leave high school. But I'm looking for a break, and I would complete high school afterward. Then decide what I would like to do.

So assume I'm going to drop out for sure, does my plan seem plausible?

I think the question was already answered. Do you want to hear someone validate your plan? Seems like you know what you want to do (and hear) -  you just need someone to say "Yes, that is an awesome idea!"  ::)

If you need a "break" from high school, trust me, life doesn't get any easier. You are better off sticking it out, graduating from high school and putting it behind you and moving on forward. I am sure if you put your mind to you it, you'll successfully reach this realistic goal.

Read this useful post by George Wallace: http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/68882.0.html for more information.

I am not saying this because I want to rain down on a plan that you spent time formulating. It's just that, for your own good, you should take the advice people are giving you - finish high school. It opens a lot of doors for you. Good luck.

forza_milan said:
I think the question was already answered. Do you want to hear someone validate your plan? Seems like you know what you want to do (and hear) -  you just need someone to say "Yes, that is an awesome idea!"  ::)

If you need a "break" from high school, trust me, life doesn't get any easier. You are better off sticking it out, graduating from high school and putting it behind you and moving on forward. I am sure if you put your mind to you it, you'll successfully reach this realistic goal.

Read this useful post by George Wallace: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/68882.0.html for more information.

I am not saying this because I want to rain down on a plan that you spent time formulating. It's just that, for your own good, you should take the advice people are giving you - finish high school. It opens a lot of doors for you. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply.

Well yeah I do know what I want to do, and hear. I'm not asking whether or not it's a good idea, but rather if it would actually be doable. Since I'm looking for a break from school, I didn't much care to wait until I complete high school, because I would like an infantry position. So if I was aiming for something higher, than I would complete high school. But I just want to to take a break, and complete high school/college after 2-3 years.

For example in the article you referred me to it states:

NOTE:  In Ontario, you must be 18 or have graduated High School to legally join the Regular Force (or leave school for any reason).

I talked to my school counselor a few weeks back and she said I would be able to drop out and join the military. When I chatted to the live recruiter on line, he refers me to the document which states 'you must be at least 17, and completed Grade 10'.

So basically, I'm just seeing a lot of contradiction on that issue, and I would just like to know if I would be able to join the army at 17 with grade 10 complete. \\\

I'm in Ottawa, Ontario BTW.

I'll say what everyone else has been telling you. FINISH HIGH SCHOOL. It's not like you'd be joining the army to run away from class - in your potential military career, there will be classroom work - even in the infantry. From lectures on stuff like the workplace hazard management information system (I don't know how I remembered that...) to dry map-and-compass work on a table indoors, it's stuff that has to be done.

That being said, yes, you can join without completing high school. I've seen it done many times. But it won't help your cause, that's for sure. When you're doing your interview and the Career Manager asks "so why didn't you finish?" and all you can muster up is a "I wanted a break," it won't look good. If you can't complete high school because you're not interested, will the CF want to spend money training you only to see you want another break?

Just for the record, according to forces.ca, the basic eligibility requirements:  :)

Be a Canadian citizen;
# Citizens of another country who have landed immigrant (Permanent Resident) status in Canada may also be considered for enrolment when the CF has need of their skill, when the position cannot be filled by a Canadian citizen, and if the national interest would not be prejudiced. However, only under exceptional circumstances will authority be granted to enrol a citizen of another country.

Be 17 years of age (with parental/guardian consent) or older;
# junior level Military College applicants must be 16 years of age;
# you may be enrolled in the Reserves providing you are 16 years of age (with parental/guardian consent);

Meet the minimum education requirements for your entry plan and/or occupation;
this can vary from Grade 10 (Sec III in Quebec) for combat arms occupations to a university degree for the Direct Entry Officer entry plan.

HighlandIslander said:
I'll say what everyone else has been telling you. FINISH HIGH SCHOOL. It's not like you'd be joining the army to run away from class - in your potential military career, there will be classroom work - even in the infantry. From lectures on stuff like the workplace hazard management information system (I don't know how I remembered that...) to dry map-and-compass work on a table indoors, it's stuff that has to be done.

That being said, yes, you can join without completing high school. I've seen it done many times. But it won't help your cause, that's for sure. When you're doing your interview and the Career Manager asks "so why didn't you finish?" and all you can muster up is a "I wanted a break," it won't look good. If you can't complete high school because you're not interested, will the CF want to spend money training you only to see you want another break?

Thanks for the reply, I understand your point - thanks for putting it out there. I'm not bored of learning, I'm just bored of what I have to learn. Learning practical and cool things would be amazing for me, I'd be eager every single day to learn every single bit of information.

I just don't understand what's wrong with joining the army, do a 2-3 year term, finish high school, get a degree in a college/university/Royal Military College, and pursue the military further (if that's what I choose). I mean it's nothing different whether I finish high school, joining the military as still a low level position (infantry if possible) and then go to college/university. I would have more discipline and more direction on what I really want to do and what courses to take and excel in  to pursue the degree I want.

There's nothing "low level" about infantry, my friend. I know you don't mean to be demeaning but I recommend that you evaluate your choice of words before posting. Remember, there are people in the Infantry reading this as well.

In the CF, just as in life, you will be asked to do things that you don't want to do. In your case, it is learning things that you are not really excited about -  like the topics covered in high school. It is an important lesson you would be teaching yourself and an important exercise in self discipline, to focus on achieving this goal of high-school graduation, even though you are not utterly thrilled about it at this point in time. It's one of the few things in life that nobody can take away from you. So grab it with both hands. Your youth will disappear but the Canadian Forces will always be here waiting for you. Finish H.S. while you are young - and get it out of the way already.

That's all I have to say. I've given you my opinion. I'll let you make your own decisions though.

forza_milan said:
There's nothing "low level" about infantry, my friend. I know you don't mean to be demeaning but I recommend that you evaluate your choice of words before posting. Remember, there are people in the Infantry reading this as well.

Sorry, I mean 'low level' as in the education requirements.

tim.p said:

Think you might want to reconsider that before the dog pile begins.

Yes, you MAY be able to join with grade 10. I did.

but bear in mind it's a recession, people are being laid off, and there are only so many spots for [sarcasm on] low level infantry [/sarcasm off] per year. Faced with a grade 12 grad laid off from some company and you, who dropped out 'for a break', who do you think the recruiter is going to pick?

You are young, bide your time. Seriously.

tim.p said:

Give your head a shake.

Infantry ≠ "low-level" in any sense.

I'm in the infantry. I'm a NCM and a university student. We have corporals with bachelor's and master's degrees in our mess. Towards_the_gap brings up an excellent point - if there's one open position for the job you want (in the CF or elsewhere) and two applicants, the guy who completed high school has an advantage right away. The more education you have, the better your chances. But it seems like your mind is already made up, and while several members have counseled you to finish school, you seem intent on dropping out. So, yes, you can do what you want and go ahead with your plan, but it's your life after all. Good luck with it.

tim.p said:
My questions are:

Is this a plausible option?
Would it be difficult to get accepted with only a grade 10?
Where do CF get deployed if they don't go to Afghanistan? 

You say you've done "a lot of research"? Are you sure? You'd have these questions answered had you done your research.

HighlandIslander said:
Give your head a shake.

Infantry ≠ "low-level" in any sense.

I'm in the infantry. I'm a NCM and a university student. We have corporals with bachelor's and master's degrees in our mess. Towards_the_gap brings up an excellent point - if there's one open position for the job you want (in the CF or elsewhere) and two applicants, the guy who completed high school has an advantage right away. The more education you have, the better your chances. But it seems like your mind is already made up, and while several members have counseled you to finish school, you seem intent on dropping out. So, yes, you can do what you want and go ahead with your plan, but it's your life after all. Good luck with it.

What I mean by infantry as low level, is the minimum education you must possess to apply for that position. I know it's one of the hardest and most intensive and courageous jobs out there, I'm just referring to the minimum education requirements.  As apposed to a doctor/pilot etc.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to seriously think about it.

Also is the CF in need of soldiers? Like the US seem to be needing more than they're getting. Is that the same with the CF?

You say you've done "a lot of research"? Are you sure? You'd have these questions answered had you done your research.

I couldn't find a definite answer for this question. Most people who have asked this question was getting the "stay in school" answer. I was looking just for a simple 'yes, they would consider you with a grade 10'. Also my question is somewhat specific on what I'm trying to do. It's hard to do such a specific search.

On the recruiting site it says you just need a grade 10, then on someones post it says you must have completed high school.

As someone who was in a similar type of situation about 30 years ago, let me offer you the same advice that my grandfather did. I quote  "Lad, you may be bored, but finish that damn High School. Once it's done, you never have to worry about it ever again, and no one can ever take it away from you."

The older I got, the wiser my grandfather was.

tim.p said:
Hello everyone.
I'll start off with telling you a little about myself. Currently, I'm 16 and in grade 11. I failed some courses in grade 10 (not because I couldn't do it,  I just didn't like school and was skipping class).
I am 5'10'' and 150lbs, I'm in good shape and could meet and surpass the minimum physical requirements. I have no medical conditions, allergies or previous injuries. I've been contemplating joining the army.
I was planning to do the following:
I want to drop out of high school and join the regular forces in the infantry branch.
I've done a lot of research on the army, I've watched countless documentaries

You're not going to like this answer, but listen to your own counsel
I understand that it's the best idea to complete high school before joining the regular forces.

It doesn't matter whether you are the fittest person in the world and have a brain large enough to hold the entire history of the armies of the world ... if you don't have "stick-to-itness" you are not going to make it in any army. 

Dropping out of highschool for the reasons offered you fail at "stick-to-itness."  Without "stick-to-it-ness" you are a danger to yourself and your fellow soldiers (air crew or sailors)

My parents are also fine with this path as long as I complete high school and go to college/university.
Quit now and there is a more than 70% chance you'll have grade 11 for life ... and no "stick-to-itness". 

Look at it from another perspective:

Assume you do go out and join the Army for, say, 5 years in the Reg F.

Will you then be willing to abandon the lifestyle of a 40K+ per year job (Cpl in the Reg F) to go back to being a full-time high school student, with little or no income?

Why not do both? Join the Reserves AND finish high school. The Reserves are perfectly suited for a high school student. Paid training in the summer and during traditional school breaks(Easter and Christmas), and a chance to find out if you really like the army.

tim.p said:
I am thinking about doing a 2-3 year term and then completing high school then going to RMC.

I suggest you look into just how hard RMC is to get into.  And of course, finish high school.

Good luck.

tim.p said:
Also is the CF in need of soldiers? Like the US seem to be needing more than they're getting. Is that the same with the CF?

Seriously?  Yes, the army will always need soldiers.

Son, finish school.  You'll have that advantage.  I can almost guarantee that if you "take a break" from school, you won't go back.  Before you get your back up, no, I don't know you, but I HAVE seen that happen.  The best laid plans have a tendency to go awry. 

Stay in school, join the reserves.  We all know that school can suck, but amazingly that little slip of paper will get you a lot farther than not having it. 

Heed the advice you're getting, and accept that you're not going to be told what you want to hear.

Back