• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Reserve Thread- A Merged Collection of Q & A's

Old and Tired said:
High School and University Transcripts.  Must be originals in a sealed envelope.

I had concerns about this while applying, and I don't see how that would need to be necessary. When we apply online, we need to send photocopies of the documents, and this requires us to rip open the sealed envelopes to copy the front and back. I am not in Nova Scotia, so can anyone confirm if this will be an issue with my documents if I get the call to go visit my local recruiting center for Regular Force? Will I need to order new transcripts in a sealed envelope? I understand this post was just referring to a reserve application in Nova Scotia, but I will take this time to get clarification on the matter for everyone else.

Thank you for your replies.

To be more exact, I'm living in Ontario (Toronto).

So regardless of whether or not they have a vacancy, I have to do an online application? I thought that the application "package" could be handed in-person.

Thanks again

When you apply to the Regular Force on line, you provide your documents by mail you send the Photo Copies.  When You actually go in, in person for interviews and testing you will be asked to bring the originals with you.  Unless something truly radical happened since I left my recruiter position three weeks ago, I think the process is still pretty much the same.

You will not need to get another Original Copy for the Regular Force.  The reason there are two different systems is that for the Reserves you are:
A) joining specific unit therefore, that unit must have available positions to recruit someone into.
B) Again for the reserves the Age and Educational standard (IN General) are different than the Regular Force.
C) You can join the Res Force at 16, provided you do meet the minimum acceptable standard. Here in NS that is 6 Complete high School Credits. We have had in the past some pretty creative art work being done to Transcripts thanks to modern Computer Equipment.  That's why we only accept the Original.

As well for Reserve Units, it is generally, pretty easy to get into see a unit recruiter and get the help and advice that it is needed.  Again, unless something has changes since the 3rd of April, the system is not geared to accept On-Line applications for the Reserves.  What happens when it does happen is that the relevant CFRC sends the Application by email to the closest Res Brigade or Unit recruiting office.  That office will then attempt to contact the applicant to give them direction on how to complete the application.  With no contact or replies are received within 30 days a letter is sent to the applicant explaining that he have received their file and attempted to contact to arrange for them to complete the rest of the application, and that their file will be closed in another 30 days from the date on the letter.  I lost more than 25 applicants because they followed the wrong advice and/or procedure and we couldn't get in contact with them.

To the Original Poster, get in contact with the Unit that has the Trade/Occupation that you are interested in, and talk directly to that Units Recruiter.  They job is to provide Reserve Applicants step by step assistance in the process.

Thanks for the information.

Also for the original poster, there was a user here who also applied for the reserves in Toronto Ontario 2 weeks ago, and he handed his in personally, and was scheduled for his testing right away.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/13064.3700.html

"Bassil_Inf" is the user, and he applied to "The Lorne Scots".

This contact information might help you, hopefully it is up to date:

http://www.lornescots.ca/army/recruiting.htm

Old and Tired said:
When you apply to the Regular Force on line, you provide your documents by mail you send the Photo Copies.  When You actually go in, in person for interviews and testing you will be asked to bring the originals with you.  Unless something truly radical happened since I left my recruiter position three weeks ago, I think the process is still pretty much the same.

You will not need to get another Original Copy for the Regular Force.  The reason there are two different systems is that for the Reserves you are:
A) joining specific unit therefore, that unit must have available positions to recruit someone into.
B) Again for the reserves the Age and Educational standard (IN General) are different than the Regular Force.
C) You can join the Res Force at 16, provided you do meet the minimum acceptable standard. Here in NS that is 6 Complete high School Credits. We have had in the past some pretty creative art work being done to Transcripts thanks to modern Computer Equipment.  That's why we only accept the Original.

As well for Reserve Units, it is generally, pretty easy to get into see a unit recruiter and get the help and advice that it is needed.  Again, unless something has changes since the 3rd of April, the system is not geared to accept On-Line applications for the Reserves.  What happens when it does happen is that the relevant CFRC sends the Application by email to the closest Res Brigade or Unit recruiting office.  That office will then attempt to contact the applicant to give them direction on how to complete the application.  With no contact or replies are received within 30 days a letter is sent to the applicant explaining that he have received their file and attempted to contact to arrange for them to complete the rest of the application, and that their file will be closed in another 30 days from the date on the letter.  I lost more than 25 applicants because they followed the wrong advice and/or procedure and we couldn't get in contact with them.

To the Original Poster, get in contact with the Unit that has the Trade/Occupation that you are interested in, and talk directly to that Units Recruiter.  They job is to provide Reserve Applicants step by step assistance in the process.

You are correct, individuals should be dealing with the Reserve Unit first and foremost to determine whether or not a position is in fact available because if there isn't one, then everything is a mute point.

As far as the application process for Reserve Force, do what you need to do or what your told to do by the Reserve Unit and or the CFRC that is going to process you.

Oh wow, thank you very much for the detailed answers!

I will call up each unit with the trades I'm interested in and see if there are any vacancies.

Again, thanks for answering.

To help you out, go here --->  http://www.forces.ca/en/centres/findarecruitmentcentre-110

Input your "postal code" and you will see some "tabs" which can point you to "Reserve" units in your local area.

Good luck!

When you call up a Reserve unit, lets say, 32 Combat Engineer Regiment, is it alright to ask if they have (for example) intelligence officer position?

I mean it wouldn't make sense to call up Army reserve and ask if they have Maritime Officer, instead of calling up the Navy Reserve

I have done some readings but I'm not sure if a certain Army Reserve unit have the trades I like.

Also, can I apply to more than one Reserve unit?

For example, Combat Engineer Officer at 32 Combat Engineer Regiment, and Signals Officer another unit.

Thanks again for all your help

ReserveHopeful said:
Also, can I apply to more than one Reserve unit?

For example, Combat Engineer Officer at 32 Combat Engineer Regiment, and Signals Officer another unit.

I'm open to corrections, but I don't see why not since I applied to 2 trades for the Reserves earlier this year after speaking with their recruiters both in person. The important part as others have mentioned is to ensure the units you're interested in have spots open.

DAA said:
To help you out, go here --->  http://www.forces.ca/en/centres/findarecruitmentcentre-110

Input your "postal code" and you will see some "tabs" which can point you to "Reserve" units in your local area.

Good luck!

Hope no one minds me butting into this Thread. But I have a related question; I went on that link and tried to find my local towns reserve unit. Apparently we don't have one, but I almost certain there is. So am I wrong or is it possible this reserve unit list is out dated or is it possible that my local reserve unit got closed? I hope some one can give me an answer, and I hope this isn't a stupid question haha.

Don't worry. For some reason, there's a handful of reserve units that aren't listed on that site.

On a separate note, my local CFRC says they finished processing my application and sent it to the Reserve infantry unit I applied to.

How long should I expect until I receive a call from them offering the position? A few weeks?  A month? Two months?

Thanks.

Hax24 said:
How long should I expect until I receive a call from them offering the position?

Some examples here.

Application Process Samples 
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/13064.0/topicseen.html

"I am sure that I am not the only one interested in this info as I see posts all the time asking "how long does it take?". "

Yah I've looked through that a lot, unfortunately there is no recent info for the time it takes to get offered a position from a Reserve unit once the application process has been completed.

JM2345 said:
I had concerns about this while applying, and I don't see how that would need to be necessary. When we apply online, we need to send photocopies of the documents, and this requires us to rip open the sealed envelopes to copy the front and back. I am not in Nova Scotia, so can anyone confirm if this will be an issue with my documents if I get the call to go visit my local recruiting center for Regular Force? Will I need to order new transcripts in a sealed envelope? I understand this post was just referring to a reserve application in Nova Scotia, but I will take this time to get clarification on the matter for everyone else.

no need to be in sealed envelope. Just bring your original documents and you recruiter will make photocopies. The best is to search for the unit you want to join on the internet, they almost all give a recruiter email. Contact him, he will take care of you file and be sure everything is good before sending it to HQ. Mine even made me meet the captain of the unit to discuss about the job.

I've been trying to reach Reserve recruiters but it's very hard to get a hold of them...

Would it be better to just go to the Reserve recruitment centre in person and inquire about any vacant positions?

ReserveHopeful said:
I've been trying to reach Reserve recruiters but it's very hard to get a hold of them...

Would it be better to just go to the Reserve recruitment centre in person and inquire about any vacant positions?

Yes, going in person is the best thing to do. Also gives you a look at what reserve life is like on a parade night.

Hi everyone, just a little update.

I managed to get in touch with a recruiter and will be going next week to pick up a "letter"

Correct me if I'm wrong but I am guessing that I take this letter from the Reserve and take all the forms and apply directly at CFRC headquarters?

Thank you everyone for the response.

Back