• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Reserve Thread- A Merged Collection of Q & A's

Have you done any research into the Reserves.  I know a lot of people on this site are joining the Reserves and have asked a lot of questions.  Perhaps some of their questions have been answered in the last 16 years that this site has been around.  Hey! Mike!  A belated Happy Birthday.

Let's see......Lots of topics on Reserves.  Lots of topics on Coop Programs.  Lots of info on requirements that must be met to join the Reserves and some of a person's responsibilities and liabilities.  Lots of info on job opportunities and Deployments for Reservists.  Even information on a Reserve Pension. 

Yup!  Guess this is a LOCK.

In what month does the fall BMQ typically run?  I am really hoping you say mid October and finish mid December.

The thread starter hasn't been here since January. The rest of the queries can be found with a search of the Recuiting Forum.

Milnet.ca Staff

Hey, I just got a few questions that i need answered. :)

1: How do i get information on the Reserve bases near upper Toronto and how to sign up for them (I know i need my parents permission)

2: I have school but i want to go a couple times during the week to do training, is this possible?

3: Since I'm 16 what are things i need to know?

4: When i go to do training, is it BMQ that i do or is it something different?

5: After I'm done BMQ is it possible for me to move onto BIQ even though I'm 16? (What do i do next to possibly become a marksmen.?)

6: What are the advantages of me joining this young?

7: Do i have a choice to help other areas of Canada (Floods, Forest Fires) even though I'm 16?

8: Lets say something happens in Toronto and they need help, would they ask for my help?

I know some of them may seem stupid, but i am very curious and very passionate about this and need to know. I would appreciate ANY help of what so ever, Thank you.:)

:cdn: :yellow:

1. Best way would be to look up the locations on the web and go there in person
2. I think reserves training is done on the weekends, ask at the recruiting center!
3. Not sure what you mean
4. Yes its BMQ
5. I don't see why not, but ask at your recruiting center!
6. You should be in good shape!
7. I would imagine so, but ask at your recruiting center!
8. Ask at your recruiting center!

On top of asking your recruiting center you could do a search on these forums, good luck and I hope this helps!

Lebar said:
Hey, I just got a few questions that i need answered. :)

All your queries and yes even more, can be found on here by simply doing a search.

Perhaps it is advisable to read the rule and regs of this site too.

Enjoy your time on here.

Regards,

OWDU

Overwatch Downunder said:
All your queries and yes even more, can be found on here by simply doing a search.

Perhaps it is advisable to read the rule and regs of this site too.

Enjoy your time on here.

Regards,

OWDU

Ok, its just i have done lots of research and almost none of those questions were answered, if i got a location of a recruiting centre that would help a lot..

The Canadian Forces Recruiting (CFRG) site works really well and Google works also.

- From the CFRG site: Toronto area CFRCs

Lebar said:
1: How do i get information on the Reserve bases near upper Toronto and how to sign up for them (I know i need my parents permission)

Have you thought about going to see those units and talk to them ? They dont bite......

2: I have school but i want to go a couple times during the week to do training, is this possible?

Typicaly, reserve units train one night a week and on weekends. If you go talk to a reserve unit they can explain their training schedule to you.

Nothing that other people dont need to know.

BMQ like everyone else. Why would it be something different ?

5: After I'm done BMQ is it possible for me to move onto BIQ even though I'm 16?

If you join an infantry unit, then the next step IS BIQ, thats how you become trade qualified.

(What do i do next to possibly become a marksmen.?)

One step at a time kid...trust me.

None IMHO.

7: Do i have a choice to help other areas of Canada (Floods, Forest Fires) even though I'm 16?

If the miitary needs you, they will call for you. If they dont need you, they wont call.

8: Lets say something happens in Toronto and they need help, would they ask for my help?

Maybe, maybe not......

Nice to see your enthusiasm but are you actually going to take the next step and sign up?  In case you do here are some answers to your questions:

As mentioned reserve units usually train 1 night a week and 1 weekend a month.  However, depending on what is going on like exercise prep or a major ceremony ie visit by the Colonel-in-Chief it could be more.  Once you get sworn in you get paid for your attendance.  Also, unit training parades are not the same as training course dates - they can be different.  During the school year reserve basic training is often run on alternating weekends by a tasked unit (not necessarily the unit you join) on top of the training being done at the unit level.  So you could be parading at your home unit on a Wednesday night and going to your basic course at another unit on the weekend and the next week back at your home unit on Wednesday night and training with them again on the weekend.

The best thing about being a teenager in the military (reserve or reg force) is that from the moment you get sworn in you get treated as an adult until you prove yourself otherwise.  We train you to do the same job and hold you to the same standards as a 25-year-old.  On the flip side don't try to use your age as a shield from meeting standards.

Basic military qualification is the first step, followed by (in the army) SQ - soldier qualification which is field oriented, weapons handling. 

5: After I'm done BMQ is it possible for me to move onto BIQ even though I'm 16? (What do i do next to possibly become a marksmen.?)

Assuming you want to go infantry Basic Infantry Qualification follows SQ.  And yes you go on to that course as a teenager.  However, given the length of time it takes to get through the recruiting process, getting loaded onto basic and SQ you probably will not be 16 by the time you hit BIQ(R).  As for being a marksman - not sure what you mean by that - however, every recruit must meet minimum standards of marksmanship on the range for their weapons qualification on basic in order to pass and, as I recall, for combat arms recruits this standard is higher. 

Several: if the military is what you want then starting this young builds up your seniority as well as getting your foundation courses out of the way.  By the time you finish high school you could be a fully qualified soldier ready for employment with real responsibilities on a tour with the regular force or at a training base or even transfer to the regular force.  Your past military experience helps you as well when applying to paramilitary organizations like the police or fire service.  And once you do get sworn in there is the pay and benefits that you earn.

Depends - I had teenagers in my platoon during the BC forest fires but that was in 2003.  Your unit will let you know who is eligible or not.

If the City of Toronto, Province of Ontario etc needed help they would not ask for your help - they would ask the federal government for military assistance.  Then the military chain-of-command would reach out and start tasking units.  If your unit is tasked to provide support and they put out a callout for volunteers then you can volunteer.  Whether you are accepted or not is up to your unit chain-of-command.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Wow... Thank you both very much. Yes i do plan to do this and not back out now the only thing i need help with is. Where is the CLOSEST recruiting centre in Vaughan?  :p

Lebar said:
Where is the CLOSEST recruiting centre in Vaughan?  :p

Jesus wept kid........

http://www.forces.ca/html/index.aspx?m=0&lang=en&sid=200&sm1=6&sm2=0&content=200&mp=ON

Lebar,

Your questions have been answered and enough people have helped you out getting started. It's time for you to spread your wings and start becoming more self sufficient.

A search from within a thread will only return results from there. A search within a forum ditto. Etc, etc.

Lots of info on how the site works in the Milnet.ca Admin Forum - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,9.0.html

Read there and become proficient, because once you get started in the military, you're going to have plenty more questions. Most of which, you'll find here, with a little work and initiative.

Milnet.ca Staff

George Wallace said:
13 PAGES

13 Pages of people asking about the Age Limits for joining the Reserves.  13 Pages of answers, all saying the same thing.

I'm not sure that Lebar's posts should have been merged with this topic.  I didn't see that he asked about the age limits for the Reserves.

PMedMoe said:
I'm not sure that Lebar's posts should have been merged with this topic.  I didn't see that he asked about the age limits for the Reserves.

How about this 13 pages of "Joining the Reserves"? 

That is how many pages I have merged after doing a Search: "Joining the Reserves".  I came up with 10 pages of topics on this subject, in the Recruiting Forums alone.  I gave up merging them after only going through two of those ten pages, resulting in only thirteen pages here.  That means that there are over a hundred pages of posts by people wanting to join the Reserves, most of them 13 to 16 year olds.

[Edit to add.}

My apologies PMedMoe.  I originally merged the wrong topics.  I have now corrected that, and merged several here, but there are many more, as I mentioned above. 

George Wallace said:
How about this 13 pages of "Joining the Reserves"?

Seriously?  Wow!  People really need to use the search function!!

I have been asking some questions recently because I have no military background in my family.

I am aware that when joining the army reserves you must work one weekend a month and typically one evening shift.
I have a few questions that may seem simple but just want to get them cleared up.

1. Since reserves usually have two jobs (civilian and military), they wont be deployed overseas until they decide to join the regular force?

2. If i passed the basic training can I go right into the reserve or is there more training needed? How long will it take if any.

3. Where will these working shifts be (weekend and evening)?  Since I have a job in my hometown, how will i go about getting to and from my job on weekends?

4. What ‘jobs’ is usually included for the reservist to do?

5. Do reserves have any commitment to the army that they must serve overseas or for a certain period of time?

Really all i want to do is see if the army is right for me, I want to join but am not 100% yet and i fell this is a great opportunity.

Thanks for any help

OK  Stevo99c        STOP!  Right now.

You are starting yet another topic asking questions that have been answered thousands of times before. 

1.  Reservists do serve overseas, and they are currently serving overseas in Afghanistan.  Please read some of the forum topics that cover these matters.

2.  You have to be in the Reserves (or Regular Force) to be on Basic Training.  There are one or two dozen topics that will clarify this question, should you decide to research the matter.

3.  You will get to and from your Reserve Unit (should you decide to join one) in the same manner that you go to and from your other jobs and school.

4.  Visit the Canadian Forces Recruiting website and see what kind of jobs there are.  Then visit your local Reserve Unit to see what kind of jobs they offer.  None of us know where you live, so it is up to you to find out.

5.  Answered in Question 1, and there is once again many topics on this.

Welcome to Army.ca.  There is a lot of information already posted here that will answer all of your questions.

Hey,
I have been interested in joining the army reserves for some time and have finally decided to go forward with it. I have done my own research but I still have some questions that I couldn't get answered / am still confused with that I was hoping someone might be able to answer.
First, my primary choice for placement in the army reserves would be infantry, but I would be fine with armored or artillery as-well. I really have no idea what reserve unit I would like to go to thought, I have researched ones in my area (Toronto) such as Queens own Rifles and 48th Highlanders, but there is limited information on the units so it has left me very unsure which one to go with. My question is how should I go about picking a reserve unit? what units are considered the 'best'?

Next, do I go to my local recruitment center or the reserve unit itself to sign up?

Lastly, I have heard it is somewhat difficult to get into a reserve unit as there are a limited amount of spots each year. My question is what do they look for to distinguish the candidates they want for the unit and the ones they do not? does education / age / work experience play a role?

I realize these questions have probably been asked 1000 times here before and I apologize in advance.

Thanks,

The best advice I can give you is to go to those units, and ask questions, talk to the Soldiers, etc an find out about the unit that way and what they do. And also to search this website.

As for which unit is the "Best" there would be a lot of bias in that from the Soldiers in those units. They are both Light Infantry units, only real difference  as far as I know is that the QOR has a Jump Tasking and maintains a Jump Coy(or Pl?). Also, if being a Paratrooper interests you don't think that you can walk right into the QOR and automatically get on jump status as there will be a line of Soldiers with more time in than you who want a spot aswell.

Back