• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Red Fridays Foundation of Canada & Repatriation Memorial Rally (May 08): Objections & Praise

Strike said:
Agent13,

I hope you post some pictures.  Hopefully people will be on the overpasses.  I think it will be good for those that regularly watch the processions see it in a less somber situation.

I'd be more than happy to do that. Reminds me to go out & get fresh batteries for the camera, nothing worse than that. My buddy got permission from his CO to wear the uniform he will wear on his posting, he was happy about that. I don't know the difference, I'll find out tomorrow.
I was also thinking of putting my Grandfathers name/date on the bottom of the large Flag I have on the dash, my Father would really appreaciate that.

I'll post pictures on Sunday
Cheers

Re: Mrs. Arnold's Letter   

With regards to the removal of your husbands name from the car for this Saturday, because of the design of the graphic, and the location of your husbands name we will not be able to honour that request.  Furthermore, several members of your husband’s immediate family will be on hand during this event and have requested, several weeks ago, that his name remain on the car during the rally, and for the duration of the cars existence.

What about the rest of the family that wanted his name on the car??  No offence but based on the news coverage they did get permission from someone?

Based on news coverage, they said they would remove the name if there was any objection to it. Fact is that Kerry Arnold is her husband's NOK. And from what I know, the foundation did not contact his family. It was another family that passed the info on to them. They for sure did not contact any member of my husband's family...therefore no permission for my husband's name to be put on that car.

No need to be polite here, the local Durham Region news stated the Kerry Arnold recanted her objection IAW with the Red Fridays mouth peice.  To be fair it was a very one sided article  aka local Durham guys defend Red fridays Foundation.  Seems that is not the case as Kerry who I love to bits did not say this , she still wants the love of her life off the car if I read it right. Well guys I am confused at the end of the day the Red Fridays Foundation is a collection of dirt bags who profit from the misery of our boys and girls end of story. There I said it I feel a lot better so sue me I think I hold the moral high ground here I have been a Assisting Officer for an incredable wounded young chap since Sept 2006, he is my baby.  We both look at this org with awe and what we find on our shoes on a spring day where lots of dogs are running. Again I say lets take it to the street and tell Chrysler get that car off the road

. You know wha

Cpl Glen Arnold's name has just been removed/covered up for this event. OPP will ensure it will stay covered.
To Kerry, your wishes has been granted.
If anyone needs pictures of their beloved's name on there, let me know... I have them from all angles.
The answer I received from Mr Muntz was no permission is needed since these name are now are public domain!!!! Funny this excuse didn't go so well with me in regards to Glen's name... he removed it right on the spot... police watching, and me videotaping him.

One weird sign... it was retardly dark, dark clouds and pouring rain and as soon as the name got covered up... bright blue sky!

Thank you very much Roadrunner. I'm positive Kerry will be very happy. As for the news saying that Kerry recanted her request....I don't think so. Her response back to the foundation was remove it or else!!!

RoadRunner said:
One weird sign... it was retardly dark, dark clouds and pouring rain and as soon as the name got covered up... bright blue sky!

Not weird at all.  ;)

RoadRunner said:
The answer I received from Mr Muntz was no permission is needed since these name are now are public domain!!!!

Lots of names are public domain -- but I'd like to think the good rule of law would evidence that you just can't up and use Britney Spears' image or name in your own 'for-profit' business advertising or fundraising without the express written consent of the individual or their estate (in the case of hmmm say ... Elvis), else you'd see your butt being sued forthwith. I wonder why he thinks he can do so (or even thinks it's acceptable to do so) when it's a soldier's name or image being 'used'?

I had a firm stand on this at first but after reading many of your responses it doesnt seem so cut and dry to me anymore.

The big question is who does own the name of the deceased?Is it the family of the person, the wife,the children?NOK?
Must be hard on everyone involved when it come's to thing like this where the family doesnt agree.

I'm glad kerry's wish was granted however.I cant imagine how hard it is.

I am very surprised that the organizer didn't ask for permission, I don;t know what they thought.. , I have committed to show up with few of my friends at downsview park, hopefully it will be ok..

I was driving up from London to Kingston and passed by the Rally today. It was very heart warming to see all those people out on the over passes especially given the weather along the route. The convoy of red cars was also impressive and I especially liked the semi that was painted up with the CF troops on it.. One thing I did notice though was that there was a lot of backed up traffic behind the convoy and they had only gotten about 5KM at that point. Seems like it was probably pissing off all those people who were stuck in the gridlock behind it.

Army Vern

You are quite correct re public domain. Folks the way this works in law is if you pose or have your picture taken at a public event or place it can be used by recognized media. It can only be used for general purposes by the media. The laws position is that the person and or survivor has control of their image and name. Remember this org used the CDS's image on the donate now button some time ago. The original picture of the Dodge Magnum Wagon had LCol Simon Heatherington in front of the car. Guess what ? They photo shopped him without permission. In the case of Sapper (now Cpl) McTeague they were asked to remove Mikes image and all ref to him from the site. The Red Fridays Foundation blew him off and stopped answering his emails after he asked a couple of questions on where the money goes and how much have you raised etc. It took the Tor Sun story to motivate them to remove it. Good thing for them as I know for a fact legal action was being started. As a business he would be req to have a models release this would also be the same for a charity who was seeking the use of a image and name. Be aware they do not stop at images and names. There was a time when they had Canada Posts corp gif posted as a sponsor. As anyone with a Fed Dept knows we are very careful with "sponsorship/partnership" these days. The gif was removed very quickly after Canada Post told them to.

I have said this before and will say it again our fallen names belong in unit lines, cenotaphs/memorials, gravestones, and yes street signs. There have been a number of cases where a town has named a street or square after these great Canadians with permission. Their names do not belong on the side of a commercial enterprise. Rik Davie the Editor of the Scugog Standard said it best in the 30 May issue as follows;

"The last mention of this is of a purely personal nature. This foundation has a vehicle donated by a car dealership that has the names of our war dead plastered across the side of it like a rolling tombstone. My surname is carved into the side of of the Vimy Memorial. Were that name to appear on the side of a car in the way presented above I believe I would do whatever possible to remove it".

Would one of you be so kind and post todays (Saturday  31 May) Toronto Star story page A3, some interesting tid bits. As I just mastered the Rotory phone last week I may screw up the cut and paste and suffer another flogging by the DS LOL.

I have just came back from the downsview, took couple shots I think less then 200 people were at the location, it was ok..
dscf6207ot6.jpg

dscf6211au2.jpg

dscf6212uz0.jpg

dscf6214cj0.jpg

dscf6171cd6.jpg

dscf6172rp7.jpg

dscf6174qp5.jpg

dscf6176kx6.jpg

dscf6183zd6.jpg

dscf6185gk8.jpg

dscf6192zm7.jpg

dscf6201yy5.jpg

dscf6203do9.jpg

dscf6205do1.jpg

Folks the way this works in law is if you pose or have your picture taken at a public event or place it can be used by recognized media. It can only be used for general purposes by the media. The laws position is that the person and or survivor has control of their image and name.

It is clear that this org has no honour nor honesty period. While legal action is drastic and it should never come to that with normal reasonable folks. This is one for the court of public opinion if every person who found this car offencive picked up the phone and asked for the General Manager of Scarsview Chrysler 416 281 6200 and politely but firmly expressed our displeasure I think it might sink in.

I for one am calling Monday AM

I am way too tired to make much comment on this tonight, I've just returned home from a very long day/trip to Bowmanville, Ont, and back, today for an AMAZING support rally (not in conjunction with todays "other" events)
but I have to say that I'm appalled!!
After the things I've seen and read today, including an attempted "slam" against Lisa and I on NATIONAL television, I'm stunned!! Absolutely and completely stunned... I just don't understand how people can behave in such a manner!

I applaud all of you for standing up for what you believe in and for supporting Kerry Arnold in her quest to have her husband's name removed from that vehicle.
To those of you who were able to set all differences, feelings and opinions aside and showed up wherever you were today to show your support, I salute you!

As a side note, I too wonder why I can see Cpl Arnold's name on the side of that vehicle in the pictures above after reading that it was to have been covered up... perhaps it was just a 'timing' issue, I don't know.......

:cdn: :cdn: :cdn:

(captainj, we need to chat, we'll be in touch soon  :) )

My buddy & I just got back to Belleville a little while ago. We are in the last picture posted, he is wearing his uniform. It was a good day, I participated for my own reasons and am glad I did.  :cdn: Amazing the weather held out all the way there & back.
I have lots of pictures, I'll have to figure out how to post them on this forum & I'll put them up.
Met some great people today for sure.

Hit "Additional Options" on the left just below the text box.

Back