• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The RCR, who will be the new Col in Chief?

It may also have to do with who allied regiments in Britain receive, as there some times is a connection in this form.
So for the Royal Canadian Regiment specifically that would be either the Duke of Kent (Royal Regiment of Fusiliers) or the Duchess of Cornwall (The Rifles). Both are already Colonel in Chief of a Canadian infantry regiment (The Lorne Scots and the Queens Own Rifles, respectively), but the Duchess definitely has a higher public profile in Canada.

I‘m still standing by my earlier predictions of either Prince Edward or Prince William.

The Duke of Kent is already 85. I don't think that he has many years of Royal visits left.

So for the Royal Canadian Regiment specifically that would be either the Duke of Kent (Royal Regiment of Fusiliers) or the Duchess of Cornwall (The Rifles). Both are already Colonel in Chief of a Canadian infantry regiment (The Lorne Scots and the Queens Own Rifles, respectively), but the Duchess definitely has a higher public profile in Canada.

I‘m still standing by my earlier predictions of either Prince Edward or Prince William.

I'm sensing the opportunity for some sort of wager...

One option would be Trudeau. We could get rid of him, he likes to dress up, and he thinks he is a king.

I'm sensing the opportunity for some sort of wager...

If the precedent of Colonelcies-in-Chief previously held by HM The Queen Mother and later assumed by other royals are any indication then it may be a couple of years before such an appointment is made. The Queen Mum passed in March 2002; The Princess Royal became the Colonel-in-Chief of the RCMS in Oct 2003; The Prince of Wales was appointed to the Black Watch in 2004 and to the Toronto Scottish in 2005. There may be a wait to collect on any wager.

I’ll go with Prince William or the Princess Royal.

Do they need one ? Is there a purpose other than tradition ? For instance is it required in order to maintain the "Royal" designation or something ?

Do they need one ? Is there a purpose other than tradition ? For instance is it required in order to maintain the "Royal" designation or something ?

Ego strokes for the Regimental mafia who get to communicate with Royalty as Faux Nobles, mainly ;)

Which is nicely described here, in a kind of odd and self-deprecating manner:

Honorary Appointments​

Early in the 20th century in Canada Sir Robert Borden described the practice of appointing Honoraries as “of greatest advantage to the Militia to be able to enlist the interest and sympathy of gentleman of position and wealth by connecting them to Regiments.”

Ego strokes for the Regimental mafia who get to communicate with Royalty as Faux Nobles, mainly ;)

Which is nicely described here, in a kind of odd and self-deprecating manner:

Honorary Appointments​

Early in the 20th century in Canada Sir Robert Borden described the practice of appointing Honoraries as “of greatest advantage to the Militia to be able to enlist the interest and sympathy of gentleman of position and wealth by connecting them to Regiments.”

Gotcha, preserve the colors at all costs.

Camila just got The Rifles.
As I stated in post 21. Do keep up.

Although The Rifles are allied to the Royal Canadian Regiment, I don't think this would be the key factor in choosing a Colonel in Chief -- one reason is that the PPCLI are also allied to The Rifles. And nothing defines The RCR quite like being different from the PPCLI. And vice versa, of course. The joys of tribalism.

Last edited:
As I stated in post 21. Do keep up.

Although The Rifles are allied to the Royal Canadian Regiment, I don't think this would be the key factor in choosing a Colonel in Chief -- one reason is that the PPCLI are also allied to The Rifles. And nothing defines The RCR quite like being different from the PPCLI. And vice versa, of course. The joys of a tribalism.

🤦‍♂️ It's all too much for me. The Mail reported it today so naturally ... it never happened until I saw it in the Mail.

😬

🤦‍♂️ It's all too much for me. The Mail reported it today so naturally ... it never happened until I saw it in the Mail.

😬

Actually The Mail reported she wore a new coat to visit the regiment. As to being Colonel . . .
Camilla, who became colonel-in-chief in July 2020 in what was to be the last public engagement undertaken by Prince Philip, wore a dress designed by Fiona Clare underneath the green Rifles coat dress with black bugle buttons and Rifles brooch.

Back