• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The RCR vs. The RRC, split from Re: 125th Anniversary of The RCD and The RCR - 2008

AJFitzpatrick

Inactive
Reaction score
With due respect to the two regiments:

Is there a rationale for having
The Royal Canadian Regiment
and
The Royal Regiment of Canada

Thank You

AJFitzpatrick said:
With due respect to the two regiments:

Is there a rationale for having
and

Thank You

Because they are two totally and different CF entities with their own Unit histories and traditions with similar sounding titles.

By your reasoning one could also ask ...

Is there a rationale for having The Royal Canadian Regiment, The Royal 22nd Regiment, and Princess Patricias Canadian Light Infantry (all 3 of which are Reg Force Infantry Regiments)?

Despite similar sounding names, they are just NOT the same thing.

Reserve Force Infantry Regiment:
http://www.answers.com/topic/the-royal-regiment-of-canada

Reg Force Infantry Regiment:
http://www.answers.com/topic/the-royal-canadian-regiment

I'm sorry, entirely the wrong message got put across
I know they are two different entities but as the name of the Royal Regiment of Canada was only adopted in 1939, formerly that particular regiment was "The Royal Regiment of Toronto Grenadiers" I was curious as to why "the Royal Regiment of Canada" was chosen with the obvious confusion inherent in that choice.

AJFitzpatrick said:
I know they are two different entities but as the name of the Royal Regiment of Canada was only adopted in 1939, formerly that particular regiment was "The Royal Regiment of Toronto Grenadiers" I was curious as to why "the Royal Regiment of Canada" was chosen with the obvious confusion inherent in that choice.

1939 eh?  Couldn't have been patriotism could it? ;)  That would explain dropping the Toronto part.  ;D

AJFitzpatrick said:

Actually The Royal Regiment of Canada was formed with the amalgamation of two Army Reserve Units in 1936, those being The Royal Grenadiers and The Toronto Regiment.  The R Regt C were then moved to active duty status in 1939 with the onset of WWII.

Previous to their amalgamation as The Royal Regiment of Canada, they provided a company to serve with The Royal Canadian Regiment in the Boer War, although their history can be traced back even further to March 1862.

I believe that their current title takes into account the original titles of the Units from which it was formed, and also those Units to whom they provided members.

More history on The Royal Regiment of Canada is available here:

Back