• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The RCAF's Next Generation Fighter (CF-188 Replacement)

The thing that few people recall is that this is NOT the first competition for this aircraft....the competition for the F-35 started almost 20 years ago with the JSF Project where the XF-32 and the XF-35 competed against each other.

It makes me ponder what things would have looked like if Boeing had ended up winning that competition with their F-32 airframe. To be honest, the F-32 in a non-S/VTOL platform would probably still make a decent attack bird, and with Boeing's experience in mass production, it would probably have been cheaper in just a 'fixed wing' non-carrier based platform than the F-35.

That said, the goal of the JSF program was to have a 'everything to everyone' airplane, so that would go directly against the grain...but suppose Boeing resurrected the F-32 as a Stealth-ish 5th generation platform for land basing only....and pursued that as their next generation Growler platform...capable of interacting with the F-35.

The Public Services and Procurement Canada website for the Future Fighter Capability Project has now been updated to reflect that the GOC has entered the final phase of the procurement process with the US Gov't and Lockheed Martin. The earliest delivery date is 2025. I wonder when we might hear news that the contract has been signed?

Any chance that the 3 year time frame will be expedited with a lease and replace with the US similar to when we added the Leo 2's?

We bought 138 F-18's 40yrs ago. Today we are buying 35% less planes than we did 40yrs ago, plus we bought another 18 used F-18's from Australia, when you factor those planes into the equation its 41% less - does that make sense to you? Yes, we no longer station planes in Germany, but I'm not sure how someone can justify buying 35% less.
You shouldn’t add the RAAF buy…that stunt (aside from a waste of time and effort) was pure Maskirovka-like drama and ass-covering politics to try to feebly justify the government’s 2015 election ‘promise’ to not buy the F-35.

Any chance that the 3 year time frame will be expedited with a lease and replace with the US similar to when we added the Leo 2's?
Extremely unlikely - you maybe able to get some training time on some down here - but everyone who wants them isn't going to want to wait.
Unlike the Leo2 no one has any F-35's just sitting around collecting dust -- that would be like trying to get a Leo 2 today when Germany is going to take everything they can build for the next 5-10 years...

It will be interesting to see if when the dust settles did dragging our asses save us any money?

Extremely unlikely - you maybe able to get some training time on some down here - but everyone who wants them isn't going to want to wait.
Unlike the Leo2 no one has any F-35's just sitting around collecting dust -- that would be like trying to get a Leo 2 today when Germany is going to take everything they can build for the next 5-10 years...

True. But I wonder about a backroom deal with the States specifically. A squadron or two out of their stock as a good faith/ quid pro quo to upping defense investment (with some strings tied to something like NORAD committments, a NATO deployment, or maybe spilling into that ground kit arrangement you keep bringing up..

You shouldn’t add the RAAF buy…that stunt (aside from a waste of time and effort) was pure Maskirovka-like drama and ass-covering politics to try to feebly justify the government’s 2015 election ‘promise’ to not buy the F-35.
But if you don't include the Aussie planes, then our current level of 72 operational planes would be 72-X = ? operational planes - this strengthens the argument to buy more than 88 planes.

I'd be more interested in whether the delays will cost any lives --

Yes I thought of that also but i was hoping it won't. Unlike the Seaking fiasco.

That was actually my motivation for asking, if we didn't save any money then it makes the risk less worth it. I guess part of me still holds hope the GOC will smarten up someday. Stupid me I know. 🤷‍♂️

Yes I thought of that also but i was hoping it won't. Unlike the Seaking fiasco.

That was actually my motivation for asking, if we didn't save any money then it makes the risk less worth it. I guess part of me still holds hope the GOC will smarten up someday. Stupid me I know. 🤷‍♂️
Not just pilots - anywhere the RCAF didn't go due to having an old dog where they could have had a role...

It will be interesting to see if when the dust settles did dragging our asses save us any money?
Why save money when the GoC wants to increase spending? This method requires no extra procurement/technical staff.

If your only metric is how much you spend as part of your GDP, procurement inefficiencies is a great way to bump up your stats.

Back