• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The RCAF's Next Generation Fighter (CF-188 Replacement)

lenaitch

Reaction score
But there probably would be an F-35 solo demo plane, like what we have now with the CF-18.

I am assuming that a future CF-35 demo flight won't have the special paint and graphics that changes every year.
Nope. The 22 is a ballet with some Zoom.
I saw the demo team in Chile several year ago. 180 turns on a dime, near hover pivots and then turn 90 to the sky hit burner and disappear upwards.

It was the first time I had ever been in total awe at an aircraft capability. It seemed unreal.

Although I have not seen one, no doubt it is an impressive airframe, but ballet typically is a troupe, so I prefer multiple aircraft in close formation to demonstrate flying skills.

I know little of the process, but doesn't being a member of the 'partnership' mean that we pay the current set price/aircraft? Also, I read somewhere that being a member of the partnership precluded us from negotiating additional industrial offsets. If either/both of these are true, what in the world would 'final negotiations' that will apparently take a minimum of seven months entail? I can't image a whole lot of 'Canadianization' - which we love to do - or a ton of options, beyond perhaps the drag chute that was developed for Norway. There was some talk about a probe for the A model but don't know if that went anywhere.

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Negotiations could include sequencing of deliveries, ancillary equipment, training slots, permanently posting pilots as instructors to training establishments... (Note that this is my conjecture, I haven't seen any specifics).

Lots of small details that will have to be ironed out.

Underway

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
Except that from an operations point of view, we’re a decade behind our allies. We have 0 experience in employing 5th Gen platforms.
Hence my lost opportunity cost comment. One hand giveth (unintentionally) and the other taketh away (intentionally).

There are costs that are not maintenance/maturity related and understand there is a lot of work and costs to catch up.

Same situation with a lot of our equipment/experience. I expect the various RPAS programs will have the same sort of gap in usage problems.

SupersonicMax

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
I can't image a whole lot of 'Canadianization' - which we love to do - or a ton of options, beyond perhaps the drag chute that was developed for Norway. There was some talk about a probe for the A model but don't know if that went anywhere.
There is no point in getting a probe-equipped aircraft. The A330 will be fitted with both refueling systems and US tankers used for NORAD can either be fitted with a drogue OR a boom (some can be dual use but they are few and far between), not both, which really is a problem when conducting NORAD operations with the US. We need almost twice as many tankers…

Quirky

Reaction score
What about the loss of X% of talent - in terms of pilots/ground crew - who made the decision to leave over the last decade, who might have stayed, because they didn't see the future containing us flying the F-35?

I never heard of technicians leaving because the gov didn't commit to the F-35. Fighter base location out in the sticks, along with all the issues surrounding it and discussed ad nauseum, was always a contributing factor. No new fighter will solve the retention issue, it might help, but there are bigger fish to fry.

KevinB

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
I am assuming that a future CF-35 demo flight won't have the special paint and graphics that changes every year.

Although I have not seen one, no doubt it is an impressive airframe, but ballet typically is a troupe, so I prefer multiple aircraft in close formation to demonstrate flying skills.
The F-22 demo team flew 6 AC when I saw it, blew anything I have seen from the Snowbirds, Thunderbirds, or Blue Angles away - the ability for the aircraft to almost hover in one spot - then then do acrobatics including pivot turns while wing to wing is insane.

Seeing a lot of other AC do things makes me really sad we didn't make at least double the amount of F-22's, F/A-XX NGASF has some pretty big shoes to fill when it comes on line.

Quirky

Reaction score
The F-22 demo team flew 6 AC when I saw it..... then then do acrobatics including pivot turns while wing to wing is insane.

6 F-22s in formation at an air display? I didn't know that was even a thing.

KevinB

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
6 F-22s in formation at an air display? I didn't know that was even a thing.
Sometimes the USAF likes to brag /power project. It was a Military show in Chile. The whole inventory of craft came down. Thunderbirds demo was right after. People actually ignored most of it.

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Sometimes the USAF likes to brag /power project. It was a Military show in Chile. The whole inventory of craft came down. Thunderbirds demo was right after. People actually ignored most of it.
Ahhhhh….FIDAE. Good times, and a great show!

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
LRP trip planners be like…

Shark Tank Smile GIF by ABC Network