• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The RCAF's Next Generation Fighter (CF-188 Replacement)

SupersonicMax said:
No.  The USAF F-35 Demonstration team is coming for a demo.  This was planned about a year and a half ago.

And it has nothing to do with marketing the plane?  Right! 

Spencer100 said:

Right.

The RAF Red Arrows will be touring around North America, I wonder what their agenda is?

How about our CF-18 demo team? 

It’s nothing more than a demo squad showing off their bird.  Maybe some of us want to see the latest and greatest.  As much as I love antiques, it’s always nice to see something new flying around. 

Why does everything have to be so political?

Spencer100 said:

The F-22 came to Cold Lake last year.  Does that mean they are “marketing” the plane?

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Right.

The RAF Red Arrows will be touring around North America, I wonder what their agenda is?

How about our CF-18 demo team? 

It’s nothing more than a demo squad showing off their bird.  Maybe some of us want to see the latest and greatest.  As much as I love antiques, it’s always nice to see something new flying around. 

Why does everything have to be so political?

Well it is very political...sorry it just is.

Plus those examples are very much marketing too  The Snowbirds are pure marketing for  the CAF and RCAF  to public and for recruiting.  Showing the taxpayer what they get.  One of my friends was a Snowbird and his job was PR and marketing when not flying.  The Red Arrows market the Global Great Britain brand and the RAF.

Sorry to argue but I'm a little jaded.  Most things modern life are "marketing"  I as a do anything my first thought is "who is market for?"  "who's paying for it?"

Spencer100 said:
Well it is very political...sorry it just is.

Plus those examples are very much marketing too  The Snowbirds are pure marketing for  the CAF and RCAF  to public and for recruiting.  Showing the taxpayer what they get.  One of my friends was a Snowbird and his job was PR and marketing when not flying.  The Red Arrows market the Global Great Britain brand and the RAF.

Sorry to argue but I'm a little jaded.  Most things modern life are "marketing"  I as a do anything my first thought is "who is market for?"  "who's paying for it?"
Big Snowbird fan here. Rumint is Tutors  are to be retired in next 5 years.  Zoomies: Would the Hawks be able to be a demo Sqn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The RAF Red Arrows have been using Hawks for years, so the Snowbirds should have no issues using them.

BillN said:
The RAF Red Arrows have been using Hawks for years, so the Snowbirds should have no issues using them.
Ah yes. Good to know. Thanks.

Retired AF Guy said:
Plus, the RCAF has been using the CT-115 Hawk as its basic jet trainer for a number of years.

We would have to buy new ones.  We only have 18? Or so at NATO training and the other school.  Need about that for the snowbirds.  And if we have to buy new we have to a bid competition so that will take 10 plus years. 

Spencer100 said:
We would have to buy new ones.  We only have 18? Or so at NATO training and the other school.  Need about that for the snowbirds.  And if we have to buy new we have to a bid competition so that will take 10 plus years.

We, the CAF, do not own the Hawks or the Harvard II.  They are owned by CAE.  And they are beat up.  Some airframes have more than 13,000 hrs of air time.  That is more than some Tutors!!!

Note this:

PARIS: Leonardo on target with M-345 trainer
Although Rome is the sole customer for the M-345 to date, Leonardo is pursuing several campaigns with the type, including Canada and Spain, as well as undisclosed countries in Africa.

Madrid could acquire as many as 35 examples, as it replaces its fleet of 64 CASA C-101s, while Ottawa's Future Aircrew Training programme is seeking a successor to its 18 BAE Systems Hawk 115s in the 2023-2024 timeframe.

In addition, Leonardo intends to develop an armed variant of the M-345 once the trainer is qualified.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/paris-leonardo-on-target-with-m-345-trainer-459005/

And this from gov't on new trainer program, various services plus planes:

Future Aircrew Training

fpna-fact-infogragh-eng.png

https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/app-acq/amd-dp/air/snac-nfps/fpna_infograp-fact_infograph-eng.html

More:
https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/app-acq/amd-dp/air/snac-nfps/ffpn-fact-eng.html

Plus:

Leonardo promotes the M-345 for the Canadian aerobatic team Snowbirds
https://www.blogbeforeflight.net/2019/05/leonardo-promotes-m-345-for-canadian-aerobatic-team-snowbirds.html

This recently from Dimsum on FAcT:
https://milnet.ca/forums/threads/130837/post-1578139.html#msg1578139

Mark
Ottawa

RomeoJuliet said:
Big Snowbird fan here. Rumint is Tutors  are to be retired in next 5 years.  Zoomies: Would the Hawks be able to be a demo Sqn?

The tutors are set to retire in 2030. Once this fighter jet replacement circus gets sorted out the snowbirds are next in the zoom zoom world.

Quirky said:
The tutors are set to retire in 2030. Once this fighter jet replacement circus gets sorted out the snowbirds are next in the zoom zoom world.

Assuming you don’t consider the Challengers to be ‘zoom zoom’... ;)

Regards
G2G

Seriously G2G, it wouldn’t surprise me if this gov actually thinks that sock puppet shuttles are a “Canada’s Back” display of precision military flying that no child should miss.

The snowbird's are most likely done after the Tutors are retired.  I would say the best is a smaller Harvard (or similar trainer) team.  I could see a flight of five part time. 

Spencer100 said:
The snowbird's are most likely done after the Tutors are retired.  I would say the best is a smaller Harvard (or similar trainer) team.  I could see a flight of five part time.
My hunch is a hard no on standing down Snowbirds.

Spencer100 said:

I don't think so, unless you have some inside info you can't share.

They have gone through this before. G2G might be able to shine some light on the inner workings of the RCAF and the Snowbirds.

Back