• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Posted To Winnipeg" Merged Thread

airmich said:
GAP, we went with your recommendation for the locksmith.  Bought locks, called them and they came out to put them in the same morning. 

IRP covers this - good that you shopped around, but not required if you're not footing the bill.

Retired AF Guy said:
I would go with Telus because they have better coverage in Western Canada and they also have better deals with western cell phone companies. Rogers on the other hand is concentrated in eastern Canada and their coverage in western Canada sucks.

I would becareful with Telus - they really have no GSM coverage in Manitoba or Saskatchewan.  Rogers, on the other hamd, has entered an agreement with MTS and is now available with 3G almost everywhere in Manitoba.  This is really important if you decide to go with a GSM enabled 3G phone (like iPhone).  Telus iPhones do not work in Saskatchewan at all and only within the city confines of Winnipeg.

Zoomie said:
IRP covers this - good that you shopped around, but not required if you're not footing the bill.

Hi Zoomie.  Yes, I knew that they covered it so definitely wasn't concerned about cost.  Just didn't know where to start to look for someone reputable.  Our IRP lady was great...didn't treat us like newbies but made sure that we knew all of the key (haha, no pun intended!) points for what was covered.

I've been in Winnipeg since 1994. If I was moving here, all over again, I'd live in Alberta.

Other than that. The cheapest and homes with the safest, most family like neighborhoods are Transcona. That said, its very far from the base. Depending what you drive, you'll spend $400 a month on gas getting to the base. Therefore, why not buy a home in Headingley, Charleswood or St James instead. Shorter commute, money in your home instead of the Sheik's pocket for oil and gas.

Manitoba has a high tax rate (provincial) expect to see a decrease in your take home. Property taxes are still a bit high, but have been frozen for years, they are not 'unfrozen' so should be going up this season. Yay.

hey all got my mesg and off to the peg I go,

I know I've seen many threads about winnipeg posting during my search but most people were looking to buy in Winnipeg.  I was looking for info on the outskirt communities of the city and areas to avoid.  I think I would get better bang for my buck out there and have less of a head ache with bidding wars.  My only concern of course would be resale in 3-5yrs  but I still can't justify the housing prices and property taxes in the city vise the small community ones.  Lots to contemplate and looking for info.

Cheers

Getting posted to Winnipeg this APS. I've never been there. I'm looking for some of the best places to buy a house for a family of 4 (2 little kids). What is the commute like? Should I stick close to the base? Are some of the schools better than others? Just trying to get a good feel before we head out for our HHT. Thanks in advance

We lived in Charleswood and loved it. It's can be a bit pricier but for us it was worth it. There are parks all over the neighborhood, the zoo is nearby, and the places we looked at there had less severe foundation issues (every place in Winnipeg has a bit of a foundation issue). Enjoy!

Back