• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Posted To Winnipeg" Merged Thread

airmich said:
I have been following this thread with interest, as I too am pencilled in for Winnipeg this year.  However, the hubby and I have decided to wait a year on buying (personal financial issue that will be looking much better at that point).  Therefore, we have decided to stay in Q's for the first bit. 

On that note, does anyone have any current information on the PMQ's in Winnipeg?  By looking at the CFHA site, I see that there isn't any currently available.  And that there are 2 sites for them.  Any pros/cons on locations?  Are they in decent shape?  What is the schooling like in those areas?

Thanks!

My brother lives in Q on the south side which has the larger number of Qs (357 vs 201 in the north).  70 of the Qs are under renovations right now and another 15 or so are vacant just waiting for posting season not mention that a few of already occupied ones will become vacant in the same posting season although they will probably not be available to move in to right away.  The ones I have seen are well maintained, although as usual with Qs a bit dated.  Most of them are refurbished and built strong to begin with, so it alleviates some issues.

North PMQs are very close to the base (2-3 min) while the southern one are 10-20 depending on traffic.  It really boils down to your prefs although the north side is more desirable as it is closer and those tend to be fully occupied. 

Schools in both areas are fine, I prefer St James school but I am biased as I grew up there.  This is sort of a moot point as can pretty much put your kid in whatever school you want as long as they have room.  There are schools very close to both patches

MJP and GAP, thank you for the responses.  Now to get our messages so we can apply and figure it out from there.  We lucked out with the size of one we have now (and we're a bit spoiled too!).  One pre-teen, 2 teenagers and a dog make for a crowded Q, but we have a 4 bedroom and 2 bath place now.  Figure we won't be as lucky there, but you never know.

Well, thanks for all of the advice from everybody, but plans change and I am not being posted to Winnipeg.  Rather, I'm off to Ottawa and I actually have my posting message.  This should be good as my family is from this area.  Thanks again to all.

More options everyday..

http://keystonematrix.ca/Matrix/Public/Portal.aspx?k=39895X1EFV&p=DE-6975058-724

lea said:
More options everyday..

http://keystonematrix.ca/Matrix/Public/Portal.aspx?k=39895X1EFV&p=DE-6975058-724

????

lea said:
More options everyday..

MJP said:

Either lea is a real estate agent or that's their house up for sale.

PMedMoe said:
Either lea is a real estate agent or that's their house up for sale.

Ahh makes sense to me now (not so much while WIing it up and drinking with my brothers), I was just confused because there was only one option :)

Just recently back from our HHT.  There is quite a waiting list on Q's and we weren't overly happy with their locations (located around busy streets), although we would have taken one if there was no other option.  Renting on the economy wasn't looking good for us either (lack of availability playing a big part).  So we changed tactics and looked at buying.  Had an offer accepted and the bank said yes!  (quite the market there.  Even though many warned us what it was like, it is still a shock to see such a sellers market with bidding wars)

Overall, we are very happy with the city.  Regardless of the negative comments that many have, I've talked to lots of people that love the city and more that wish they could go back.  It is very friendly there, quite a change from the grumps in Ontario.  And being in a big city is so nice for a change, having so much available to see and do.

A few more questions though, if people don't mind:  is Shaw the only cable/internet/phone for the city?  What is the preference for cell phones?  Any other tidbits or musts are always welcome too!  And looking forward to maybe putting some faces to names from the site too, at some point.  :)

airmich said:
Just recently back from our HHT.  There is quite a waiting list on Q's and we weren't overly happy with their locations (located around busy streets), although we would have taken one if there was no other option.  Renting on the economy wasn't looking good for us either (lack of availability playing a big part).  So we changed tactics and looked at buying.  Had an offer accepted and the bank said yes!  (quite the market there.  Even though many warned us what it was like, it is still a shock to see such a sellers market with bidding wars)

Good to hear. Welcome to the city.

Overall, we are very happy with the city.  Regardless of the negative comments that many have, I've talked to lots of people that love the city and more that wish they could go back.  It is very friendly there, quite a change from the grumps in Ontario.  And being in a big city is so nice for a change, having so much available to see and do.

A few more questions though, if people don't mind:  is Shaw the only cable/internet/phone for the city?  What is the preference for cell phones?  Any other tidbits or musts are always welcome too!  And looking forward to maybe putting some faces to names from the site too, at some point.  :)

Yes, Shaw seems to be the only game in town, but MTS and Telus are starting to offer TV. We have all of our services bundled with Shaw and we're happy with the service.

I'm with Telus. Some folks say Rogers has poor coverage, and even worse customer service. I can't speak to MTS.

Feel free to PM me if you need some help with specifics.

airmich said:

Congrats on the house.  Despite it being a sellers market their are still great properties availiable at a decent price compared to some cities.  Glad you found what you were looking for.

airmich said:

We have a bundled MTS TV package that includes cell phone, home phone, TV and internet for a fairly decent price.  We keep calling at the end of the introductory pricing and get them to extend it for another 3-6 months depending on who you talk too.  Shaw has deals that are just as good IMHO, they just weren't offering a PVR when we wanted one as part of the package, so we stwiched.

I have a Telus cell and my wife has a MTS one and the coverage here is fine although spotty if you head north camping or what not. 

If you have any interests or have something that you want to do let us know, I am sure the Winnipeg collective here can direct you in the right direction.

Finally made it!  Looking to pick some more local brains if you can help please.

Any recommendations for a locksmith so I can get my new place re-keyed?

Also, I had the misfortune of being rear-ended a few days before leaving Ontario.  They didn't have time to get my car fixed before I left and my insurance company doesn't have a preferred repair shop here in Winnipeg so they said 'wherever'.  Any recommendations for a collision repair shop?  I have a Chevy Cobalt, so I'm going to check out a Chev Dealership too.

Thanks!

airmich said:
Any recommendations for a locksmith so I can get my new place re-keyed?

Thanks!

I use N.H. Brown....have for years...reasonabley priced, normal type service....of course it's always cheaper if you can bring the locks into them, because the service calls always cost more....call a couple and get prices...

airmich said:
Any recommendations for a collision repair shop?  I have a Chevy Cobalt, so I'm going to check out a Chev Dealership too.

Thanks!

I've used Boyd Auto Body. They had my car back the next day. Great work from the shop on Portage in Unicity area.

ModlrMike said:
I've used Boyd Auto Body. They had my car back the next day. Great work from the shop on Portage in Unicity area.

I second Boyd great service and great people.

GAP, ModlrMike and MJP:  thank you very much for the quick responses!  Always easier to have a starting spot when you have a recommendation first.

airmich said:
Any recommendations for a collision repair shop?  I have a Chevy Cobalt, so I'm going to check out a Chev Dealership too.

Thanks!

McDonald's Auto Body on St James street.

As for Chev dealers...Murray on Waverly.

MJP said:
I have a Telus cell and my wife has a MTS one and the coverage here is fine although spotty if you head north camping or what not. 

I would go with Telus because they have better coverage in Western Canada and they also have better deals with western cell phone companies. Rogers on the other hand is concentrated in eastern Canada and their coverage in western Canada sucks.

GAP, we went with your recommendation for the locksmith.  Bought locks, called them and they came out to put them in the same morning.  Great service, we were very happy.  Thanks!

re: body work, I'm still waiting to hear back from the insurance company for their stamp of approval (I hate waiting!) but I went with Boyd's. Thanks guys.

And another request if someone can help me out please.  Looking for a family lawyer.  Mostly to submit and change some paperwork over to Manitoba.  If you prefer, feel free to PM me with background.  Thanks again, much appreciated!

Back