• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Posted To Winnipeg" Merged Thread

Rifleman62 said:
Lived in Charleswood twice. Very good area. Good access to the Base with the new bridge.

Note: it is the highest area in the city.

Get prepared for the most uncoordinated traffic signals city in the World.

Agreed. Traffic signals are not well sync'd
I think the area near Sask Ave and Hamilton is higher though

I would stay well North of the Floodway and forget Niverville- anytime there is a risk of flooding, the Red River Valley South of Winnipeg gets thrown under the bus.

Have you looked at Sliver Heights, just South of the Airport?

I do not have a military map, but checked one prior to the Flood of the "Century". the South-West corner of Charleswood and the airport were the highest. Plus there was a pumping station a mile away on Wilkes.

Have you looked at Sliver Heights, just South of the Airport?
But lots of aircraft noise in some parts.

I bought outside the Perimeter Highway to the North East.  It was the best deal in terms of house size/quality/price.  Also the property taxes outside the Perimeter are a great deal less than in the city.  It can be a bit of a drive into work, but what you pay in gas you save in mortage/property taxes.
I'd suggest that you contact John Inglis.  He is a Remax agent in YWG, a lot of the guys at work had him as their agent and they were all very happy. 

I live in Niverville and only once since i've been here has the outer ring dike been closed.  Even then it was on the west side of the town, making the commute into the city a little longer.  The commute itself is about 40 minutes and for myself, the drive home is my wind down.  There's not much to see as everything is really flat but it is an enjoyable ride.  It may be a little longer in the winter but in the 4 that i've had to endure here, the only issue I had was smoking a deer at oh dark stupid going home from work.

Most of the flooding in Winnipeg is nearest the river (duh). I live up by the 7 Oaks Hospital and it takes me 25 minutes to get to the base. In the time I've been here, there's been no flooding. I echo the recommendations for East or West St Paul, Heddingly, and St Francis Xavier. All good communities close to the city with little flood risk.

ModlrMike said:
Most of the flooding in Winnipeg is nearest the river (duh). I live up by the 7 Oaks Hospital and it takes me 25 minutes to get to the base. In the time I've been here, there's been no flooding. I echo the recommendations for East or West St Paul, Heddingly, and St Francis Xavier. All good communities close to the city with little flood risk.

Even on the river in the city there are very few properties that would be at risk from flooding.  I bought on Kingston Row which is right on the river (although my house was on the south side) and during the flood of 2009 water threatened several properties but none were flooded.  Even in 1997 none of the houses on the river were flooded although they did have an extensive sandbag dike system for protection.  The floodway really protects the city well and that has been expanded to provide even more protection so flooding while a threat is a moot point.  Especially as there are not that many properties that would be available for someone to purchase as people tend to hang on to them or they are priced quite high. 

Headingly, I've found is absurdly expensive and their taxes are not much better than Winnipeg.

Niverville is a nice town although a bit of drive.  They have an awesome wine and cheese festival :)

I prefer the East/West St Paul areas, lots of good prices if you expand your search and it is quick to the base or to the great camping and fishing that is in the interlake!

Thanks everyone for the great advice.  I have written down all the locations mentioned and I will be checking them out via mls.ca and google maps.  That streetview is quite awesome as it is almost like you are standing on the street!

One more question, if I bought in a place like Niverville or equivalently far away place from Winnipeg, would I have a hard time selling it when time came for me to be posted away from Winnipeg?

Thanks MAJONES for the realtor info.  It is always good to have this info come from fellow mil mbrs who were satisfied with the service.  The same thing was done for me when I was posted to Borden back in 05 and the recommended realtor was awesome.

Thanks again.

Scoobs said:
One more question, if I bought in a place like Niverville or equivalently far away place from Winnipeg, would I have a hard time selling it when time came for me to be posted away from Winnipeg?

I have a friend selling there right now so I will pass your question on to him this evening and see what he says.

I bought two years ago. At the time, my realtor told me that Wpg doesn't get peaks and valleys in the market.

ModlrMike said:
I bought two years ago. At the time, my realtor told me that Wpg doesn't get peaks and valleys in the market.

Does this mean that I shouldn't have a problem re-selling the home should I buy outside of Winnipeg?

ModlrMike said:

Winnipeg yes...outside a bit different and it really depends on the house and the area.  I have friends that are having trouble selling as they are in the country (just north of East St Paul).  My inlaws are holding off selling their house as some of the houses in their area have been on the market for 6+ months although they live an hour and a bit from the city.  Just waiting to hear from a buddy in Niverville that is selling his houseas I  don't know much about the southern part

Winnipeg itself is still a sellers market and has been for quite some time.  I have sold twice since moving here and both were on the market for just over a week and sold on offer day with no conditions and very large deposits.  Good houses here routinely have bidding wars. 

Scoobs said:

I had a real estate agent come to my house the other day and ask me if I was selling anytime soon or if I knew anyone selling as he has buyers waiting so I dont think selling will be much of an issue.

MP 811 said:
I had a real estate agent come to my house the other day and ask me if I was selling anytime soon or if I knew anyone selling as he has buyers waiting so I dont think selling will be much of an issue.

Just to add some more ammo for the real estate market south of the city from my buddy I received;

The market in most of the small towns around Winnipeg continues to be hot,
Niverville had a slump two years ago but is again a high-demand bedroom town, I’d say he won’t have much problem re-selling,
We’re looking to sell privately due to strong demand in New Bothwell (same distance to the city as Niverville),

Their house is pretty nice and the price for being built in 2005 is excellent so there are some good deals to be had by going south. 

MJP said:
Just to add some more ammo for the real estate market south of the city from my buddy I received;

The market in most of the small towns around Winnipeg continues to be hot,
Niverville had a slump two years ago but is again a high-demand bedroom town, I’d say he won’t have much problem re-selling,
We’re looking to sell privately due to strong demand in New Bothwell (same distance to the city as Niverville),

Their house is pretty nice and the price for being built in 2005 is excellent so there are some good deals to be had by going south.

I really appreciate the info everyone is giving me.  I have checked out a lot of different websites besides mls.ca and there are some nice houses south of Winnipeg.  I saw a really nice home in New Bothwell that has a lot of land and even a swimming pool!  I have noticed that mls.ca is not necessarily the "preferred" choice where to sell homes.  I see that your friend is thinking about selling privately.  Is there a reason why people do this rather than use a realtor, especially if they are being posted?  I can see why this would be better to do if someone wasn't being posted and thus the person would have to pay all the realtor/lawyer fees (I had to do this during this current posting due to a "crazy" neighbour situation).

Scoobs said:
I really appreciate the info everyone is giving me.  I have checked out a lot of different websites besides mls.ca and there are some nice houses south of Winnipeg.  I saw a really nice home in New Bothwell that has a lot of land and even a swimming pool!  I have noticed that mls.ca is not necessarily the "preferred" choice where to sell homes.  I see that your friend is thinking about selling privately.  Is there a reason why people do this rather than use a realtor, especially if they are being posted?  I can see why this would be better to do if someone wasn't being posted and thus the person would have to pay all the realtor/lawyer fees (I had to do this during this current posting due to a "crazy" neighbour situation).

My friend is not military and they are a relatively young family moving to a higher price locale so they want the most they can out of the house.  I can forward the listing for their house if you want to use it as a comparison for other private sales in the area, just PM me an email addy.

I have a private sale for 122 Fourth Street in Landmark

View at kijiji.ca

Also own a side by side in St James south of Portage Avenue

My time line is prior to the end of March for selling

My tenant needs notice of 3 months if i am to take ove my rented house in St James

Happy house hunting!

I've done in Mtl, Hfx and Wpg

East St Paul is nice; I lived there for 22 years. It's a quiet suburb that is growing quickly and though it borders the river on its Western border it boasts some of the highest land in the area (Birds Hill.) You are close to Birds Hill Provincial Park (a popular spot for all kinds of outdoorsy things) and about 1 hour and change from Grand Beach.

That being said, houses in the area can be quite expensive. I enjoyed my growing up in East St Paul though. The schools were good, and for most East St Paul residents, within walking distance (for Elementary and Junior High.) There is also a large variety of team sports for kids and youth.

Overall, I'd give NE of the city a good look though my commute to the base was about 30 minutes on non-rush hour time and 45 during rush hour. St Clements is good, as well as West St Paul and Springfield.

Niverville always has the risk of flooding. Most communities south of the city are in the flood plain and will experience mild to severe flooding depending on their state of preparation as well as variable factors that mother nature provides.

Just my 2 cents.

I have been following this thread with interest, as I too am pencilled in for Winnipeg this year.  However, the hubby and I have decided to wait a year on buying (personal financial issue that will be looking much better at that point).  Therefore, we have decided to stay in Q's for the first bit. 

On that note, does anyone have any current information on the PMQ's in Winnipeg?  By looking at the CFHA site, I see that there isn't any currently available.  And that there are 2 sites for them.  Any pros/cons on locations?  Are they in decent shape?  What is the schooling like in those areas?

Thanks!

I live, with my son, in the ones along Route 90.....there's lots available apparently and they are quite nice...

Back