• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Post-pandemic Canadian Armed Forces

All depends.

1. Hook his machine up to a generator
2. Deal with not sleeping well for a few days, like everyone else on course.
3. Get driven on to base to sleep in transient quarters every night.

Jarnhamar said:
All depends.

1. Hook his machine up to a generator
2. Deal with not sleeping well for a few days, like everyone else on course.
3. Get driven on to base to sleep in transient quarters every night.

I wouldn't have thought 1 and 3 would be an option considering it's a course.

Mod 4 works on 36 hours work, to 4 hours of forced rest for a max of 14 days (if max course load). Likely they can make accommodations for him as stated above. You do not get a lot of rest and that is deliberate.

stellarpanther said:
I wouldn't have thought 1 and 3 would be an option considering it's a course.

All depends what's considered reasonable and resources available. He's not being released for it so it's not going to kill him not having the machine.

Driving him out of the field is a huge administrative burden but I've seen it done for a other member on a course for different reasons.

Some plq courses do admin in the field and have laptops set up, need generators for that.

Course staff would make the call.

They can set up his tent next to some currant bushes to plug into.

Jarnhamar said:
All depends what's considered reasonable and resources available. He's not being released for it so it's not going to kill him not having the machine.

Driving him out of the field is a huge administrative burden but I've seen it done for a other member on a course for different reasons.

Some plq courses do admin in the field and have laptops set up, need generators for that.

Course staff would make the call.

If it went to D Med Pol, I would assume he has a chit that says something along the lines of: must have access to AC power when sleeping or something like that.  There's a standard line that's normally on the CF2088 and that usually means the person has a CPAP or BiPAP machine.  Not sure how someone could be in the infantry and have a chit like that if they go somewhere with no access to power.

stellarpanther said:
If it went to D Med Pol, I would assume he has a chit that says something along the lines of: must have access to AC power when sleeping or something like that.

I would think that would make him undeployable and violate UoS.

At the end of the day, the course is governed (maybe not the best word...) by a Qualification Standard, and a Training Plan/Training & Education Plan.

If a student has MELs that are assigned that preclude them from completing a course, they don't complete the course and do not get the qualification. 

Eye In The Sky said:
At the end of the day, the course is governed (maybe not the best word...) by a Qualification Standard, and a Training Plan/Training & Education Plan.

If a student has MELs that are assigned that preclude them from completing a course, they don't complete the course and do not get the qualification.

Oh ya. I love that can't miss more than 24 hours of field time rule.

Jarnhamar said:
Oh ya. I love that can't miss more than 24 hours of field time rule.

I recall a course a student insisted they couldn't sleep in the field because they were allergic to the sleeping bags or something like that.

Student was sent to MIR, got chit saying "no sleeping in the field", came back with smile on their face.  Later that afternoon, after they'd seen the Coy 2 I/C and found out they were being RTUd...not so big of a smile on their face. 

That was going to be my suggestion for SPs friend. Get a no field chit.

Jarnhamar said:
I would think that would make him undeployable and violate UoS.

I don't see many CF2088's like I used to because of where I work but when I was at CFSU(O) I would see them all the time.  The one about having access to electricity is a very common one.  Another one that is also very common and I would assume it would prevent a person from completing a PLQ is the Category that says no drill/parade greater than 30 minutes or PT limited in scope and intensity.  I've even seen a few that said self directed PT at own pace.  Those come back from D Med Pol.  Mbr's certainly still get released for medical reasons but not nearly as much as before.  Many things that would be a guaranteed release even 5 years ago will not get a person released.  I would love to get my hands on the checklist doctors sometimes show patients when determining if they meet UoS.  Some might be surprised what's on it.

Jarnhamar said:
That was going to be my suggestion for SPs friend. Get a no field chit.

Would that not be a breach of UoS.? Also, how would a mbr complete PLQ?

stellarpanther said:

No because a chit is temp, if he was put on PCAT then yes. Simple answer without going to the field you can't complete plq.

stellarpanther said:

So I'm sensing now that was sarcasm because obviously if you can't do the field portion you can't pass PLQ.  Would having a P-Cat saying no field not also be a breach of UoS?  I would assume yes but who knows these days.  As I said earlier, the P-Cat that seems to be common saying no drill/parade greater than 30 minutes essentially means no parades.  Other than those quick parades that are done in the concourse at NDHQ that last about 10 minutes, I haven't been on any that are less than 30 minutes.  Even parade practices are usually 1-2 full days.  I know a few people with those chits and they don't get put on them.  Can you imagine showing up for practice and in the middle of drill having your alarm on your watch go off and when the MWO says something about it you say sorry sir, I'm done with this for today, see ya!

As far back as my memory goes, if a member has limitations that prevent them from completing the course, said member is considered unfit until such time as the situation resolves itself. Plenty of people don't get leadership training and don't advance in their careers. Not everyone gets to be RSM, plenty of lifer corporals, like me, out there, and I did the course.

Target Up said:
As far back as my memory goes, if a member has limitations that prevent them from completing the course, said member is considered unfit until such time as the situation resolves itself. Plenty of people don't get leadership training and don't advance in their careers. Not everyone gets to be RSM, plenty of lifer corporals, like me, out there, and I did the course.

That makes sense... I'm going to tell him to show up with his chit in hand about needing to use his machine and I guess it will be up to the staff to take it from there.  As far as Cpl for life, I don't think it's a bad thing and a lot of people prefer it.  I once heard someone say that MCpl is probably the worst rank to have and I think that's accurate.  Sure you get out of a lot of the shit jobs but you also get shit on a lot more if things don't go right.  Money wise, it's certainly not worth the aggravation for the little extra you make.

stellarpanther said:
That makes sense... I'm going to tell him to show up with his chit in hand about needing to use his machine and I guess it will be up to the staff to take it from there.  As far as Cpl for life, I don't think it's a bad thing and a lot of people prefer it.  I once heard someone say that MCpl is probably the worst rank to have and I think that's accurate.  Sure you get out of a lot of the shit jobs but you also get shit on a lot more if things don't go right.  Money wise, it's certainly not worth the aggravation for the little extra you make.

It's thankless, that's for sure, but you don't get your third hook without it.

stellarpanther said:
So I'm sensing now that was sarcasm because obviously if you can't do the field portion you can't pass PLQ.  Would having a P-Cat saying no field not also be a breach of UoS?  I would assume yes but who knows these days.  As I said earlier, the P-Cat that seems to be common saying no drill/parade greater than 30 minutes essentially means no parades.  Other than those quick parades that are done in the concourse at NDHQ that last about 10 minutes, I haven't been on any that are less than 30 minutes.  Even parade practices are usually 1-2 full days.  I know a few people with those chits and they don't get put on them.  Can you imagine showing up for practice and in the middle of drill having your alarm on your watch go off and when the MWO says something about it you say sorry sir, I'm done with this for today, see ya!

Do 28 minutes of drill then go sit on a chair for 10 minutes to rest then back to drill.
Easy fix, that way someone doesn't feel left out or like they're not a part of the team.

Is this friend with the sleeping machine the same friend with the covid19 chit?

Target Up said:
stellarpanther said:
...I once heard someone say that MCpl is probably the worst rank to have and I think that's accurate. ...

It's thankless, that's for sure, but you don't get your third hook without it.

Maybe it appears thankless, but I'll tell you a little secret from a troop commander's point of view.

Most of us tend to look at MBdrs/MCpls very carefully because you can often tell who is destined for higher rank in the way they handle themselves. You want to make sure that the select ones get the right experience, course opportunities and mentoring to make their way up the ladder.

Once you make sergeant there's an expectation that you probably have those abilities so you're watched just as much to see if you've still got that fire in your belly or whether you're starting to become complacent.

In my time I've worked with some excellent MBdrs most of whom were filling sergeants' positions (it was a crappy time for promotions back then) and doing brilliantly at it.

:cheers:

Back