• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Poppy Selling Superthread- Merged

• Thread starter MAJOR_Baker
  • Start date
Bruce Monkhouse said:
Both Mcdonalds I've been to this week had trays........Mike, methinks you should double check this before anyone says a little too much.

Maybe this should be removed from the general board until it can be verified?

The only news for Canada is here;

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2008/11/03/7287026-sun.html

Mon, November 3, 2008

Legion takes steps to stop poppy thefts
UPDATED: 2008-11-03 01:50:18 MST

More frequent cash collection one of the new measures

By RENATO GANDIA, SUN MEDIA

Eight-year-old Brownies Shianne Lanneville and Kailyn Garner were manning a poppy booth at Sunridge Mall yesterday, trading poppies for donations to benefit the Royal Canadian Legion. (Lyle Aspinall, Sun Media) To curb last year's brazen poppy box thefts, members of the city's Royal Canadian Legion will monitor high-traffic sites more frequently during the current fundraising campaign.

Instead of emptying donation boxes every two days, Legion members will collect donated cash every three or four hours every day they collect, said George Bittman, chairman of Calgary Poppy Fund.

Members will also replenish boxes that are running low on poppies at high-volume locations, including Starbucks, Tim Hortons and McDonald's restaurants.

dileas

tess

Thanks for the reality check guys... I've gone back to the source for more info. Hopefully we'll have an update soon.

Mike Bobbitt said:
Thanks for the reality check guys... I've gone back to the source for more info. Hopefully we'll have an update soon.

No worries Mike, it can happen to the best of us too.

Currently working at the golden arches and I can tell you that there is no company policy as far as I know against this, and it can't just be that restaurant managers are ignoring it because operations consultants, area managers, and regional vice-presidents are in all the time to bring the great gavel of compnay policy down on our heads.  On the other hand, I was told that we weren't supposed to wear poppies on our uniforms because some people would "prefer us not to".  I said "I'm sorry they feel that way", what are they going to do, fire me for respecting Remembrance Day, come on.

tumbling_dice said:
On the other hand, I was told that we weren't supposed to wear poppies on our uniforms because some people would "prefer us not to". 

::)

I sure would like to see 'those people' explain why they feel that way this coming Tuesday to a Legion full of Vets, both young and old.

I honestly don't know how people can be against it.  I can understand being against war, but being against remembering those who gave there lives in one is beyond my comprehension.  Are they against roadside memorials for car accident victims because cars are a source of pollution?

tumbling_dice said:
On the other hand, I was told that we weren't supposed to wear poppies on our uniforms because some people would "prefer us not to". 

Now that is sad.   ::)

Can't comment on the status of the trays around annapolis valley, NS. But if that is true then the big wigs have some nerve.

Not that I would ever eat at McDonalds anyways.

tumbling_dice said:
I honestly don't know how people can be against it.  I can understand being against war, but being against remembering those who gave there lives in one is beyond my comprehension.  Are they against roadside memorials for car accident victims because cars are a source of pollution?

What all of our fallen soldiers, sailors, airmen and airwomen have paid the ultimate price for over the years in the many conflicts is freedom.  Freedom of thought, of speech.  The freedom to live where we decide to life, to do what we want to do with our lives.  So many freedoms that are just a normal part of our lives to this day and in our 'tomorrows' and those of our children too.

I can only hope that the fallen of our nation looking down on us can be happy knowing that Canadians today have those freedoms and exercise them, even though some of our citizens make choices or have opinions that we don't necessarily understand or agree with.

Eye In The Sky said:
What all of our fallen soldiers, sailors, airmen and airwomen have paid the ultimate price for over the years in the many conflicts is freedom.  Freedom of thought, of speech.  The freedom to live where we decide to life, to do what we want to do with our lives.  So many freedoms that are just a normal part of our lives to this day and in our 'tomorrows' and those of our children too.

I can only hope that the fallen of our nation looking down on us can be happy knowing that Canadians today have those freedoms and exercise them, even though some of our citizens make choices or have opinions that we don't necessarily understand or agree with.

+1

A quick update: it seems this policy has been set down by the Vancouver area McDonalds office, but may not extend into other areas. I have no first hand knowledge of the details unfortunately.

It wont stop me from heading out and getting some breakie for the family this morning.

Sorry, but there is just not enough information here, and IMHO too quick to vilify.

Mike Bobbitt said:
A quick update: it seems this policy has been set down by the Vancouver area McDonalds office, but may not extend into other areas. I have no first hand knowledge of the details unfortunately.

Thx for the update Mike.

OK after reading three pages on this thread I have to put in my $ 0.02 in here. We were told here also that it was a corp. memo they would not accept the poppy trays this year. Even after our Poppy Chair talked to the manager of local Mc D's. So Mike we also are finding the same problem here. I don't know if the rule is country wide and as I can see by other members messages on this thread it mustn't be. But we dont have them in any Mc D's here.

military granny said:
OK after reading three pages on this thread I have to put in my $ 0.02 in here. We were told here also that it was a corp. memo they would not accept the poppy trays this year. Even after our Poppy Chair talked to the manager of local Mc D's. So Mike we also are finding the same problem here. I don't know if the rule is country wide and as I can see by other members messages on this thread it mustn't be. But we dont have them in any Mc D's here.

Maybe a letter to some news outlets, will get the public in the know.

dileas

tess

..and this is a good reason for companies to want someone to attend the boxes. Now this will probably cost Tims money of their own to make this turn into a "feel-good" story.

And don't bother with the "how could she posts?",......there are things way worse every second of everyday going on in this Country of ours.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2008/11/09/7352956-sun.html
Woman swipes poppy donation box
Alleged theft captured on surveillance video

By AEDAN HELMER, SUN MEDIA
The Ottawa Sun   

One chicken salad sandwich, small coffee with cream, and a handful of donated cash for Canadian war veterans.
Police are investigating, and veterans are incensed, after surveillance footage from the Tim Hortons at 430 Hunt Club Rd. shows a woman walk into the coffee shop, place her order, and after a quick shoulder check, appears to casually stuff a poppy donation box into her bag while the clerk's back is turned.

"While the young clerk is getting her food and her coffee, she's standing at the counter clearly picking up the coin box from the poppy drive display, and she puts it in her purse, pays for her food and leaves with the coin box," said Det. Brian Van Dusen.
The suspect, believed to be in her late 40s or early 50s, was captured on video shortly after 7 p.m. on Nov. 1.

Bob Harkness, president of the Royal Canadian Legion in Bells Corners, said Branch 593 volunteers had placed the box there less than 24 hours before it was taken.     
"It could have been a dollar in there and it could have been a hundred," said Harkness. "But it's not the amount, it's the principle of the (alleged) theft that upsets me."

As Harkness watched the surveillance footage for the first time last week, he said he was "astonished."
Harkness has heard nothing but angry reaction from Legion members since the news broke.
"They're very upset, and not just the veterans," said Harkness. "I have dozens of my members that work faithfully every year to volunteer their time assisting with the poppy campaign, and they're seeing their work discarded and undermined."

If convicted of theft under $5,000, the suspect would face a maximum of two years in jail, although a fine and restitution are more likely punishments.
Harkness says cleaning bedpans at the Perley Rideau Veterans' Health Centre for a month or two would be an appropriate punishment if the suspect is convicted.

He said about $75,000 to $80,000 is raised in the capital each year to directly assist area veterans.

Part of her "sentence" should be providing the VETS with 1000 hours of community service work. Thus she may actually be truly punished. Dispicable.

:-X

Bruce Monkhouse said:
..and this is a good reason for companies to want someone to attend the boxes. Now this will probably cost Tims money of their own to make this turn into a "feel-good" story.

And don't bother with the "how could she posts?",......there are things way worse every second of everyday going on in this Country of ours.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2008/11/09/7352956-sun.html
Woman swipes poppy donation box
Alleged theft captured on surveillance video

By AEDAN HELMER, SUN MEDIA
The Ottawa Sun   

One chicken salad sandwich, small coffee with cream, and a handful of donated cash for Canadian war veterans.
Police are investigating, and veterans are incensed, after surveillance footage from the Tim Hortons at 430 Hunt Club Rd. shows a woman walk into the coffee shop, place her order, and after a quick shoulder check, appears to casually stuff a poppy donation box into her bag while the clerk's back is turned.

"While the young clerk is getting her food and her coffee, she's standing at the counter clearly picking up the coin box from the poppy drive display, and she puts it in her purse, pays for her food and leaves with the coin box," said Det. Brian Van Dusen.
The suspect, believed to be in her late 40s or early 50s, was captured on video shortly after 7 p.m. on Nov. 1.

Bob Harkness, president of the Royal Canadian Legion in Bells Corners, said Branch 593 volunteers had placed the box there less than 24 hours before it was taken.     
"It could have been a dollar in there and it could have been a hundred," said Harkness. "But it's not the amount, it's the principle of the (alleged) theft that upsets me."

As Harkness watched the surveillance footage for the first time last week, he said he was "astonished."
Harkness has heard nothing but angry reaction from Legion members since the news broke.
"They're very upset, and not just the veterans," said Harkness. "I have dozens of my members that work faithfully every year to volunteer their time assisting with the poppy campaign, and they're seeing their work discarded and undermined."

If convicted of theft under $5,000, the suspect would face a maximum of two years in jail, although a fine and restitution are more likely punishments.
Harkness says cleaning bedpans at the Perley Rideau Veterans' Health Centre for a month or two would be an appropriate punishment if the suspect is convicted.

He said about $75,000 to $80,000 is raised in the capital each year to directly assist area veterans.

I would definately agree with the fine and jail time, although I'd be afraid to leave the alleged thief alone in a Long Term Care facility, to care one on one for the veterans. Chances are, they would probably steal from them again. Not a bad idea, but I would worry about that kind of community service.

thanks for re-directing me Bruce.  I'm just disgusted and appalled.  I'll echo your statement *proudnurse* about forcing her to work at a long term care facility for vets.  Clearly if she has no qualms about stealing from them in public, it won't be an issue for her where she'd be more sheltered.   Just, ugh.

Back