• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The PETA Merged Thread

That PETA loser should be in jail.  :rage: 

In that article it says that the incident was not organized by PETA, but they certainly used it to make one of their moronic statements:

In a statement following the incident, PETA executive vice-president Tracy Reiman said: “A little tofu pie on her face is hardly comparable to the blood on Ms. Shea’s hands.”
::)

My signature line is finally appropriate!!  ;D

She should have choked him out like Jean Chretien did to that other guy. Mind you, the liberal loving MSM would have a feeding frenzy over that.

PMedMoe said:
In that article it says that the incident was not organized by PETA, but they certainly used it to make one of their moronic statements:
Another article says this:
PETA, which took credit for the incident, said in a release it was part of its campaign to stop the government's "ill-advised sanction of the slaughter of seals."

Given their tactics of non-lethal violence to instill a mild form of terror to get their "message" across, this makes PETA a band of hypocrites, and I would offer that they seriously be considered a terrorist organisation.  I mean, making statements and organising info campaigns etc is one thing, but assaulting public officials is another.

This, from the Canadian Press:
A Liberal MP says he believes the federal government should investigate whether the pieing of Fisheries Minister Gail Shea by a woman opposed to the seal hunt constitutes an act of terrorism.

Shea was delivering a speech Monday at the Canada Centre for Inland Waters in Burlington, Ont., when a woman stood up and pushed a tofu cream pie squarely into the minister's face.

The animal-rights group PETA later took responsibility for the incident. It said in a release that it was part of its campaign "to stop the government's ill-advised sanction of the slaughter of seals."

MP Gerry Byrne says he thinks what happened should be reviewed under the legal definition of terrorism.

"When someone actually coaches or conducts criminal behaviour to impose a political agenda on each and every other citizen of Canada, that does seem to me to meet the test of a terrorist organization," the member from Newfoundland and Labrador said in an interview from Ottawa with radio station VOCM in St. John's, N.L.

"I am calling on the Government of Canada to actually investigate whether or not this organization, PETA, is acting as a terrorist organization under the test that exists under Canadian law."

A spokesman for PETA could not immediately be reached for comment.

Shea said afterward that the incident only strengthens her resolve to defend the hunt.

Emily McCoy, 37, of New York City was taken into custody and charged with assault after the pieing ....

Technoviking, I liked you, and I liked what you were saying, until I read that Gerry Byrne agreed with you.

Oh well, I guess even a useless broken clock is right twice a day.

terrorism — The calculated use of unlawful violence or threat of unlawful violence to inculcate fear; intended to coerce or to intimidate governments or societies in the
pursuit of goals that are generally political, religious, or ideological.
From the US Govt. JP 1-02 Department of Defense Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms.

Seems to fit the bill... ;)

ballz said:
Technoviking, I liked you, and I liked what you were saying, until I read that Gerry Byrne agreed with you.

Oh well, I guess even a useless broken clock is right twice a day.
:rofl:

Wait a minute, are you saying that I am like a broken clock?  ;D

Here's what our Criminal Code says, in part, about Terrorism:
an act or omission, in or outside Canada,
(i) that is committed

(A) in whole or in part for a political, religious or ideological purpose, objective or cause, and

(B) in whole or in part with the intention of intimidating the public, or a segment of the public, with regard to its security, including its economic security, or compelling a person, a government or a domestic or an international organization to do or to refrain from doing any act, whether the public or the person, government or organization is inside or outside Canada, and

(ii) that intentionally

(A) causes death or serious bodily harm to a person by the use of violence,

(B) endangers a person’s life,

(C) causes a serious risk to the health or safety of the public or any segment of the public,

(D) causes substantial property damage, whether to public or private property, if causing such damage is likely to result in the conduct or harm referred to in any of clauses (A) to (C), or

(E) causes serious interference with or serious disruption of an essential service, facility or system, whether public or private, other than as a result of advocacy, protest, dissent or stoppage of work that is not intended to result in the conduct or harm referred to in any of clauses (A) to (C),

and includes a conspiracy, attempt or threat to commit any such act or omission, or being an accessory after the fact or counselling in relation to any such act or omission, but, for greater certainty, does not include an act or omission that is committed during an armed conflict and that, at the time and in the place of its commission, is in accordance with customary international law or conventional international law applicable to the conflict, or the activities undertaken by military forces of a state in the exercise of their official duties, to the extent that those activities are governed by other rules of international law.

I just bolded some parts that may (or may not) apply in the case of assaulting public officials, with the stated aim of "compelling the government do do an act", which in this case would be to stop the seal hunt.  As I said, PETA or any other group would be more than welcome to protest, send out info campaigns, etc, just as many other groups do; however, assaulting public officials crosses the line, in my opinion, from Freedom of Expression to Intimidation, to wit, Terrorism as defined by law.

What I think would make it hard to prosecute under this bit of the CCC is this (thanks TV):
that intentionally

(A) causes death or serious bodily harm to a person by the use of violence,

(B) endangers a person’s life,

(C) causes a serious risk to the health or safety of the public or any segment of the public,

(D) causes substantial property damage, whether to public or private property, if causing such damage is likely to result in the conduct or harm referred to in any of clauses (A) to (C), or

(E) causes serious interference with or serious disruption of an essential service, facility or system, whether public or private, other than as a result of advocacy, protest, dissent or stoppage of work that is not intended to result in the conduct or harm referred to in any of clauses (A) to (C),

I agree with TV's assessment that assault =/= advocacy/protest, and that from the information I see in the media, a case could be made under the "why"/inent, it would be hard to prove any of these elements I've highlighted in this case.

Still, charge her with just enough to keep her from being able to come to Canada again.

I don't know if the definition fits here, but it sure seems to fit the situation in Caledonia.  ;)

I used to love watching Soupy Sales taking pies in the face when I was a kid. The first political "pieing" that I recall was Anita Bryant. And that was NOT funny.

I agree, charge her with assault and whatever else is appropriate. She should also be declared PNG so as to be denied future entry to Canada. After all, she came here with the express intent to assault a government minister. I also agree with those who think that this may not meet the threshold for terrorism. As much as I would like to see PETA get their comeuppance, the last thing the government needs is more loony leftists crying "fascist, communist, Nazi... Conservatives" and having the MSM spin it out of control. I can see Elizabeth May and her gang leaping to their defence.

Now they have simply GONE TOO FAR!!!!  :mad:

PETA wants Groundhog Day, the robot way

Roboticists in search of a challenge, take note. The group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wants to replace the weather-forecasting Punxsutawney Phil of Groundhog Day fame with an animatronic version. Robot followers that we are here at Crave, we're all for an electronic rodent, but we're also pretty sure groundhog bots have a long way to go before they can charm crowds the way little Phil can.

PETA maintains that the animal whose annual February 2 antics portend the duration of winter is mistreated--put on display year-round at the local Pennsylvania library; denied the ability to prepare for and enter yearly hibernation; and forced to endure screaming throngs of thousands, media attention, and human handling.

According to legend, if Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow, six more weeks of winter weather will follow. If he doesn't, expect an early spring. But PETA has had enough of the tradition that dates back to 1886, and believes robotic technology could be the solution.

"If Punxsutawney frees Phil, then the bitter winter that's made him into an unwilling media attraction will end, making way for a sunny spring that everyone can enjoy," PETA writes in a post on its PETA Files blog.

More on link including other links and comments

What a bunch of maroons!!  What a bunch of nincompoops!!

Edit to add:  What PETA doesn't want you to know:

PETA Employees Face 31 Felony Animal-Cruelty Charges

http://petakillsanimals.com/

You really CAN'T make this stuff up, can you?  ::)

What next!! Fur lined mitts while protesting the seal hunt? Leather purses while protesting the killing of cows? Will it never end?  :eek:

I got to go and have my ham sandwich and milk while I think about this!!

This has been the talk around town today.

I wish it was done with a seal-flipper pie though haha.

On another note, a guy I know that owns one of the plants around here and buys seals from the fisherman (I think that's how it works anyway) gets a ton of hate mail (baskets every week) from anti-seal hunt people. He ordered a couple thousand custom-made postcards with the recipe for seal-flipper pie on them and told his secretary to screen the hate mail and write one back to everybody that sent them haha. Good times.

Back