• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Paul Champagne DND Fraud Superthread

of course I would testify. rules were broken, many $$ saved when DND needed them the most. but none of that will matter

dcps said:
of course I would testify. rules were broken, many $$ saved when DND needed them the most. but none of that will matter

Cryptic as ever, thank you for providing ..... nothing.

Perhaps this isn't the best place to troll with unsubstantiated remarks from an anonymous profile.

dcps said:

Then you will hve no challenge with revealing who you are, here on our forum.  As you are making statements, therefore in a court of law will be able to back these posts if they are presented to you, under oath,  correct?

dileas

tess

he saved $$ and he $TOLE money..... therefore he IS a thief....

in my books at least

as an employee or a contractor contracted to the Forces,  you do not have the right to help yourself to $$ under any condition.
.... END OF STORY!

I agree no one is above the law and if funds were taken he should pay

ref:  http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2007/07/23/ot-champagne-070723.html

A former public servant has pleaded guilty in Ottawa to charges in connection with a billing scheme that defrauded the government of more than $100 million.

Paul Champagne pleaded guilty Monday to at least some of the seven counts laid in 2006.

This shoud be interesting to watch as the facts come out.

However, I suspect the budget managers who never performed adequate oversight and permitted this to go on will never be held to account.

To add to your thoughts dapaterson, there is a catch phrase I keep seeing again and again with this sort of thing; "Due to his/her twenty(+,-) years of service to the country/government/department the sentence has "been reduced, suspended, turned over, nullified or depending on country 'Vetoed" by a higher authority. In addition to the sentence lets also included paying back all those twenty years worth of salary cheques and benefits paid out.

3rd Herd said:
To add to your thoughts dapaterson, there is a catch phrase I keep seeing again and again with this sort of thing; "Due to his/her twenty(+,-) years of service to the country/government/department the sentence has "been reduced, suspended, turned over, nullified or depending on country 'Vetoed" by a higher authority. In addition to the sentence lets also included paying back all those twenty years worth of salary cheques and benefits paid out.
I've got an idea,I want every fricking penny of his pension and his salary for as many years as he worked for the government returned to Treasury .As well as a minimum 20 year sentence!!!!!!!!  As a matter of fact I am slightly ticked at this fellow....Gee does it show?
As for the matter of the oversight types they should get it even worse  perhaps a blanket party using bricks rather then the traditional ingredients so to speak.

"By and large, all of his assets … are gone," said Edelson, who confirmed that Champagne's former Ottawa mansion and his home in the Turks and Caicos Islands are no longer his."

Is...is that supposed to make me feel better?  Sympathy?

Nice to know where some of the $$ we really need goes.  Being that some of it is my tax $$ that comes off my pay I get for wearing the uniform makes me REALLY want to see this guy fall down a long set of cement steps...

This guy lived just up the road from my brother in back of the high tech sector in Kanata. all the neighbours thought he was some big wheeler dealer with one of the computer companies. he pretty much kept to himself i guess (no wonder) but the locals all marvelled at the lavish house etc. The auditor in me asks "if there is one guy doing this...how many others are there that we haven't found yet?" The principles of audit tell us that where one mistake occurs there are likely others.

I know of a lot of sand bags need to be fill at all the CFB's across Canada. I am sure I can turn my smoking shack into a bunker.

;D

Regards,
TN2IC

Makes we wonder why a good portion of the previous government are not jailed and collecting sweet pensions.

Because they are the people who make the rules and cover each others heinies? :rage:

Mud Recce Man said:
"By and large, all of his assets … are gone," said Edelson, who confirmed that Champagne's former Ottawa mansion and his home in the Turks and Caicos Islands are no longer his."

Does that mean the government has taken control of them, they have been sold to recoup missing funds, or merely that they have been transferred to a spouse/life partner?

IN HOC SIGNO said:
The auditor in me asks "if there is one guy doing this...how many others are there that we haven't found yet?" The principles of audit tell us that where one mistake occurs there are likely others.

There seems to be a big fraud uncovered every year.  If not in the DND then somewhere else in the Canadian commercial world.  Apparently the problem is a lack of investigation and enforcement officers, not a lack of crime.

Other reports suggest titles to the property in the Turks and Caicos and the estate in Ottawa were transferred to HP, who is now selling them off to recuperate some of their loss.

The Ottawa Citizen had an article on "where did the money go", but it leaves open whether all the money has been accounted for; there's (as I recall) about $25 million that their quick review can't identify.

If you reread the article, HP paid $140M + to DND to cover their losses, the civil action is then left up to HP to recoup the $$

Just saw on CTV news that Paul Champagne was sentenced to 7 years in jail today.

YES!  There is a Santa Claus.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

No jail time for key player in DND fraud

Conditional sentence for Champagne's ally in crime
By Chris Cobb, The Ottawa CitizenNovember 20, 2009
  Article Link

Former teacher and hockey coach Peter Mellon avoided jail Thursday for his part in a kickback scheme that defrauded Canadian taxpayers of more than $100 million.

Following an agreement between Crown and defence lawyers, Mellon, 51, was handed a 15-month conditional sentence by Justice Roydon Kealey.

Mellon had pleaded guilty to two charges of fraud and forgery.

The businessman, who now deals in antique boats, will serve the first five months of his sentence under house arrest but will be allowed numerous exceptions for shopping, medical appointments and attending church at St. Patrick's Basilica in downtown Ottawa.

During the second portion of his sentence, Kealey ordered Mellon to complete 240 hours of community service.
More on link

Illegally taking taxpayer money for personal benefit should be considered treason.

Back