• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The organized labor movement has a new ally: venture capitalists"

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
VERY interesting approach: venture capitalists looking to make a buck selling services to represent groups of workers dealing with their employers ....
... Unit's business model works like this: The startup's organizers provide free consulting to groups of workers organizing unions within their own workplaces — helping them build support to win elections, advising them on strategy in contract-bargaining sessions, guiding them through paperwork filings and around legal obstacles. Once a contract is in place, members of the new union can decide to pay Unit a monthly fee — similar to traditional union dues — to keep providing support ...

VERY interesting approach: venture capitalists looking to make a buck selling services to represent groups of workers dealing with their employers ....
Very interesting business model. Once a union is a work place it is almost impossible to remove. Its a pure monopoly. Guaranteed cash flow and with automatic check off the Union has no receivables. I have always thought is was the perfect business model. Very low risk very high return. For this reason it attracts organized crime. The process is government controlled with it heavily tilled in the union favour.

Isn’t this what a union’s job is? 🤔

Generally, that's my thinking, too. According to this bit from the article, seems to be supply & demand (with some changing union priorities in the U.S.) at work ...
... 68% of Americans say they approve of labor unions, according to a 2021 Gallup poll. White believes that gap — along with the recent wave of unionization at Starbucks and other employers — reflects a situation in which demand for the kind of workplace protections unions offer outstrips the supply of unions willing to help workers organize.

Some of the largest labor unions, such as the Service Employees International Union and the Communications Workers of America (the parent union of the NewsGuild, which represents workers at the Los Angeles Times), have pushed for new organizing. But a recent analysis published in the leftist magazine Jacobin found that organized labor as a whole is sitting on its assets defensively rather than spending on organizing drives to grow its footprint ...

This is my opinion and my observation over decades of working with unions and growing up in the most union town in Canada.

The old main line industrial unions have very little "modern" thinkers and/or the ability to adapt to the fast changing times we live in. The union management is very set in their ways. I am making generalization. For years I have watched this trend. Their "business" is members and they have been losing members by the millions. The main industry's unionized today are the old industrials and government workers. Government has grown but the industrials has almost disappeared.

Most of the original grievances, work place safety, work hours, hiring and firing protection, etc. Have all been codified into Labour laws. This has left the unions with out that major piece of their raison d'etre.

The business here is to set up new unions in new work places. I thought about this for years. The modern union would need to be more flexible than the current model. The 3 year collective agreement was the basis of the union movement. But I don't think that works in the fast paced workplace. As more and more moves to online work this is not a model that works.

Even an a thing like calling the members "brothers" and "sister" are an anachronism that just sounds out of place today.

I'm suspicious of both unions and venture capitalists for reasons I shall not say at this time.

These guys in Winnipeg do a great job of doing business with unions and, like their customers, they are unionized ...

Back