• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Nursing Officer" Merged Thread

• Thread starter IamBloggins
  • Start date
CLARIFICATION FOR 2020/2021

The Health Services Branch has intake for anyone that was in a Canadian accredited degree granting undergraduate nursling program (Bachelor of Nursing, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, or Bachelor of Nursing Science) as of 1 September 2020 (1st, 2nd or 3rd year).

If you are applying for a 1 September 2021 start date, those numbers are not available at this time.  If you are currently in a program above and you contact a CFRC to process your ROTP aplication and you run into problems please send me a PM.

If you're seeking information for 1 September 2021, it will be February/March 2021 at the earliest before we know if there will be intake for next year.

Interesting.  I know McGill offers a MSc entry to nursing, and I believe Queens does as well; are those programs not acceptable for CAF entry plans?

Buck_HRA said:
Hi Fiji Boy - please reach out to me directly as I can tell you 100% that we have spots for ROTP Nursing for this year.  I'd also like to know which Sgt you were talking too so that I can ensure the proper education is reaching the recruiters.  Please send me a PM and I'll forward you my email and phone number.

Edit Note: Please check your spam email - I emailed you on 23 October 2020 and 10 November 2020 with information on ROTP Nursing - the email came from HealthSvcsRecruiting-RecrutementSvcsdesante@forces.gc.ca

I am so grateful for all your precious help. I really appreciate all your guidance and valuable information. I will send PM, please check the box!

dapaterson said:
Interesting.  I know McGill offers a MSc entry to nursing, and I believe Queens does as well; are those programs not acceptable for CAF entry plans?

It wouldn't qualify them for ROTP Nursing until they started an actual nursing degree.  Many ES for HS occupations have gotten more stringent over the years - for example Social Worker SEELM used to accept any undergrad with entrance into a Master of Social work - not it requires a BSW - no other undergrad degrees are accepted.

Hello all,
Just wondering if anyone knows when ROTP nurse selection is taking place this year?
thank you

Hello all,
Just wondering if anyone knows when ROTP nurse selection is taking place this year?
thank you
Hi,

Recruiter told me this week that they have 15 positions nationwide for ROTP Nursing 2021-2022.

Who is your 'boss' when you're posted to a hospital as an RN? Can they mandate you to work overtime? Do you get overtime shifts if you want to? Can you be a casual RN at the same time at work somewhere else?
Thank you in advance for information.

Who is your 'boss' when you're posted to a hospital as an RN? Can they mandate you to work overtime? Do you get overtime shifts if you want to? Can you be a casual RN at the same time at work somewhere else?
Thank you in advance for information
The Canadian military doesn't have any hospitals (so they are never posted to a hospital) but nurses do work as "supernumerary" staff in civilian hospitals. This means that they are always considered extra staff and do not hold a paid (or union) position. During this time their boss remains their chain of command at their unit, and not the hospital leadership. This means that there is no "mandatory overtime" in a hospital setting. This is a beneficial partnership as the hospital essentially gets an extra hand for free and the military nurses get the experience required to remain competent. The arrangement also allows for the members to be pulled for a tasking or deployment without leaving the hospital shorthanded.
There are a required number of hours that nurses are required to work per year in a hospital environment. They can work more than that number if they have the time in their schedule. I suppose this can be considered overtime.
Nurses can also pick up casual (paid) positions in a hospital if they wish however this must be approved through their chain of command and cannot conflict with the member's regular duties or shifts.
I hope this answers your questions.
RT

Thank you in advance for information.

So as a Nursing Officer there are a bunch of potential jobs. One of the jobs you can be posted to a Canadian Forces Health Services Centre as a Primary Care Nurse. Your boss is most often a Medical Officer (Team Leader) another nurse or the Primary Care Services Manager (often a civilian nurse). In other jobs, it might be (but not limited to) a Health Care Administrator, Health Services Operations Officer of even a Dental Officer who is your boss. It is more about the person being your superior, than what their occupation is. Nursing Officers will always have access to a Professional Technical Network to deal with nursing profession matters outside of the chain of command.

There are also the Nursing Officers who are embedded in civilian hospitals as indicated by Rubber Tree. These are part of 1 Canadian Field Hospital and the (current) leadership model is nurses reporting to nurses, reporting to nurses.

In all aspects of military service you can be mandated to work "overtime" and the "company will take what the company wants" if there is a requirement to serve. You can also be mandated to work "undertime" and sent home at 1 pm on a Friday is nothing is going on.

You are on salary. There is no overtime or reduction of salary for under working less than a 40 hour work week.

Many Nursing Officers work part-time in civilian hospitals (for pay from that hospital outside of their military work), and in many cases this is not only authorized, but also encouraged to support the maintenance of clinical competency in an in-patient setting.

MC

So as a Nursing Officer there are a bunch of potential jobs. ...
I appreciate your comprehensive response, MedCorps, it makes it very clear and gives more information to make up my mind and be motivated, hit the gym and increase the number of the push-ups I can do…

I appreciate your comprehensive response, MedCorps, it makes it very clear and gives more information to make up my mind and be motivated, hit the gym and increase the number of the push-ups I can do…

No problem. If you have anything else feel free to post and we will see what we can do you help you.

MC

AE is only conducted out of Trenton now so you have to really luck out.
Copying it from another thread as a side convo. Just wanted to ask what kind of medevacs happen in Trenton? Probably, contracting out for flying out civilians? Could that be peds, or is it specialized to adult trauma? Or just about anything critical?

Copying it from another thread as a side convo. Just wanted to ask what kind of medevacs happen in Trenton? Probably, contracting out for flying out civilians? Could that be peds, or is it specialized to adult trauma? Or just about anything critical?
The AE Flt is responsible for the medical movement (evacuation) by air of all CAF members. Whether they are injured or become ill on exercise, vacation, operations etc, the AE Flt will move them.
The AE Flt is located in Trenton ON (co-located with most of the aircraft used in AE) so when a patient needs to be moved, the team will launch from Trenton, pick up the patient from anywhere in the world, move them to wherever they have to go (generally their city of residence) and then return to Trenton. These patients can have anything from a mild illness to a catastrophic injury.
There are rare exceptions, however as a general rule, the AE Flt does not move civilians and this includes pediatric patients.

If you're interested, some additional info

Do we have anything like Nurse Practioners? Could we not use a trade like that to help take the heat off of MDs? Just asking because they're talking about letting NPs open their own clinics.

Hi All,

I'm currently a civilian RN with about one year experience on an acute care heme oncology floor. I've always been interested critical care/trauma nursing and have often thought the forces would be a good fit for me. If hired, I’m wondering what the chances of being posted where I currently live are. My common law partner is in the Navy and we currently live in Halifax. Would I be able to do the clinical phase training here? What are the chances of officially being posted to Halifax after all the occupational training? Does anyone know if they are hiring NOs in Halifax currently?

Thank you all advance! This thread has been so helpful in answering many of my other questions!

Do we have anything like Nurse Practioners? Could we not use a trade like that to help take the heat off of MDs? Just asking because they're talking about letting NPs open their own clinics.
Currently (as of 01 April 2022) there are Nurse Practitioners (working as such) in the reserve force only. There was a trial many years ago introducing NPs into the Reg force however it did not last. Whether this will be brought back remains to be seen.

Hi All, I am a civilian RPN and a QL5A Med A-PN with the primary reserves for 6+ years. I am interested in the CT to Reg Force via ROTP as a nursing officer. I have applied to McMaster and awaiting the admission decision. I sent an email enquiry to HSvcsRecruiting in summer but I did not get any reply and I am getting conflicting information from my unit recruiting NCO. What should I know? Will doing the PLQ waive the BMOQ for me? What do I need from my unit to process the CT? Should I be talking to the local CFRC or keep trying to get a response from HSvcsRecruiting? Can I continue to work part-time in my civilian teaching position while in school on ROTP?

I appreciate any and all help possible and thank you in advance.

Back