• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Military Wedding Superthread- merged

Go for the sword.  Swords are cool and are in fact one of an officer's badges of office.  As for medical officers and swords, I'm not aware of any restrictions.  Medical personnel are allowed weapons for personal protection (as well as that of their patients and hospitals as far as I know).  The Royal Navy even had a specific pattern for surgeons at one point.  You might want to check to see if the Medical Branch uses a specific pattern.  If not, there is a universal pattern (i.e. infantry) for use of branches that don't have one of their own.

If you're interested in buying one, you might want to look at:  http://www.pooleysword.com/ or http://www.wkc-solingen.de/newshop/index.html.  These are the companies that purchased all of Wilkinson Sword's equipment and patterns when they stopped making swords a few years ago.  I'd like to point out that the prices have come down considerably from when Wilkinson still did it.

Hi! My fiance is starting basic training in Sept for infantry. We are getting married civilly at city hall next week, but are trying to plan an actual wedding for next fall, but I'm concerned that if I book a venue and he can't come home for it - alot of money will be wasted? I do believe if we had it in between 13-14 months from now, he would be done his training. Would they allow him time off for his own wedding? Advice? Thoughts? Thanks!

Don't book anything until he is a lot furthur along...........

blondie55 said:
Hi! My fiance is starting basic training in Sept for infantry. We are getting married civilly at city hall next week, but are trying to plan an actual wedding for next fall, but I'm concerned that if I book a venue and he can't come home for it - alot of money will be wasted? I do believe if we had it in between 13-14 months from now, he would be done his training. Would they allow him time off for his own wedding? Advice? Thoughts? Thanks!
There's no guarantees, and it's quite possible that he would not be granted time off.

Govern yourself accordingly.

Even when you're established in a unit, the Army will find ways to add stress to the wedding. I started planning my wedding November last year, after checking my unit's training calender and seeing IBTS booked for August. September seemed perfect. In March, after a thousand or so dollars in downpayments, IBTS moves to September, and makes it look like we're working a weekend... thankfully its all run locally which is a switch the last 3 years here.

Wait till your Fiance is at a unit, and plan about a year ahead. Have him notify his chain of command early, and they should try to make sure he doesn't get tasked for that weekend.

Remember if he's just going off to BMQ there is a chance that he won't even be in the CF 13-14 months from now. It is not unheard of for people to not be successful. I got married in a brief period between BMOQ-L and DP 1.1 and it was very tricky to organize the planning. As it was, I got married in Gagetown, NB and was in Shilo, MB for 11 weeks, two weeks after our wedding. Had the dates on my course been moved up just a few weeks, I would have missed my own wedding.

The best advice has already been given. Wait until he's done his training and posted to a Regiment. Once there, you should have some better sense or normalcy to your lives or at the very least, someone who will be able to provide better advice to your fiance around good timing for this rather then us randoms on the internet. :)

Best of luck!

Thank you for all your advice! It all really sucks - as we don't want to wait that long, but it's probably for the best.

blondie55 said:
Thank you for all your advice! It all really sucks - as we don't want to wait that long, but it's probably for the best.

It seems like the wait will be long, but trust me: The stress of planning a wedding while your fiance is on course is not something you'll want to deal with. Wedding planning is stressful enough.

Hi All,

I'm getting married this coming Friday and I'm wondering if it would be considered appropriate to wear my uniform also what should be worn with it (ceremonial belt, gloves, peaked cap/beret etc.). I've looked through the dress regs and have only found that it is permitted, but not how to wear it. I'm a naval officer if that's important. Thanks in advance.

-Matt

This may help.

Topic: DEU / Mess Kit for my Wedding (Groom):
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/88873.0

Pants are generally encouraged.  ;D

Um, but anyway. You'll need permission from your chain of command, but for weddings it's typically not something they should have a problem with. Ask them what's appropriate for an OCdt to wear in terms of accoutrements- but with weddings being 'black tie' appropriate events, 'as nice as you've got' usually suffices. My dad did his most recent marriage in mess dress.

Thanks everyone!, this was the exactly information I was looking for; I'll see what I can find out from my command.

-Matt

OK, I'll weigh in on this as a naval officer, who got married in uniform, has attended uniform weddings and has actually researched the subject:

1)  You do not need permission to get married in uniform.  You're a member of the CF.  You're allowed to wear your uniform on appropriate occasions.

2)  The only accoutrements worn by naval officers are swords.  Yes, you can wear a sword to a wedding (in fact it's cool if all your military friends wear them too so they can form an arch for you and your bride to leave the church through).  Yes, you can normally wear a sword inside the church (the idea you can't bring weapons into church is pure bollocks - the history of Christianity is full of weapons in churches); however, you may want to check with the priest/pastor/minister on that one.  I have no idea about synagogues, mosques or other temples.

3)  A white ceremonial belt is not an appropriate accoutrement for a naval officer (notwithstanding that NCdts on BMOQ training will often wear them).  Naval officers' sword belts are BLACK and are worn UNDER the tunic (the sword is not hooked up, but rather carried in the left hand - if the sword is drawn, then you can hook up the scabbard, again, under the tunic).  Wipe the frosting off the blade after cutting the cake, otherwise the blade will rust.

4)  Mess dress is NOT appropriate for a wedding unless the ceremony takes place after 1800.  If the ceremony takes place before 1800, you should wear N1 or N1A for the ceremony, but you can change to Mess Dress for the reception (if it occurs after 1800).  Don't even think about wearing a beret - that's just wrong on so many levels

5)  Hoisting a garland of evergreens from your ship's yardarm on the day of the ceremony is traditional and cool!

An annendum to point 4) If the ceremony is before 1800, wear high collar whites. Because, hey, what other bloody situation are you ever going to find where they'll be appropriate? :)

Based on experience with my training marriage, wear running shoes.....and run fast.  ;)

Have you asked the bride?

Based on my limited experience in these matters, brides often:

1. Have very, very firm ideas about what they want demand on their very special day; and

2. Will not tolerate even the slightest deviation (from the plan, that is). (Deviant conduct after the reception is another matter ...)

Assuming the bride likes the uniform:

1. Are your groomsmen also in the Navy? Will you have Navy friends attending? If so can you get enough swords for a bridal arch from your unit? Brides (mostly) love that and will forgive your intrusion inti her very special day if you provide one.

2. The advice re: how to wear a sword, 1800Hrs and whites is all good.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Along with his dozens of training 'you-could-be-nexts'.
Hey, it's a simple matter of priorities; with every deployment I lost a woman, but got a better motorcycle.  :nod:

....we now return you to the wedding fashion discussion (since the groom is determined not to run while he has the chance) :facepalm:

FlyingDutchman said:
My advice, grab her, run to Vegas, find a drive through chapel, and wear what ever she wants.

"She sounds like a lovely person who deserves a good husband. Marry her before she finds one."

Just kidding. Congratulations, and good luck!

Back