• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Merged Thread on Gay/ Homosexual Topics and the CF.

so......what week is "HETERO WEEK".....

rampage800 said:
Sorry Kirsten but having a little trouble comprehending what raising a Gay Pride flag on the base actually does. IMO its opening a can of worms, where does it stop, every ethnic minority will want their flag raised on a Canadian Forces Base because now a precedence has been set. I have no problem whatsoever with these groups but I'm pretty sure the Canadian Flag by itself is already all encompassing of race, gender and sexual orientation.

Just my opinion.

However the Pride flag has nothing to do with ethnic minorities - IMHO, it's a social flag for a community that transcends racial boundaries. 

As someone that entered the CF at the age of 17, carrying some rather negative stereotypes about the LGBT community - I am proud to say that service effectively "cured" me of my ignorance.  If this helps in any small way to show the public that the CF is an accepting environment (which we all know already is), then it has my full support.  :nod: 

Kirsten Luomala said:
It is believed to be the first time this has occurred on a military base in North America.
Hardly new; their flag has been flying over one of the gates at CFB Kingston for years now.

What?  That's the RCEME flag?!  ???  They're the same, aren't they?

:-[  Never mind.

;D  <--- It's a joke

maybe RCEME moved to Edmonton......never thought of that did you? So there!!  :)

You know, there was a time when we (and by we I mean the CF) when we would kick out people for being homosexual.  There was a time also where you could be jailed for that too.  And I'm not talking about hundreds of years ago either. A few decades.  Some current members in the CF joined under that cloud.  Some may have actually been part of the system that drummed them out too.

It isn't necessarily something PC either.  it just has to do with recognising a segment of the forces that used to be marginalised by the CF.  If a flag being raised at a base during one week that is internationally recognised ruffles your feathers, I would suggest perhaps finding something else to do.  This is no big deal.

Crantor said:
.... it just has to do with recognising a segment of the forces that used to be marginalised by the CF ....
And showing taxpayers this is the case, too - like I said before, troops knowing how troops treat troops =/= Canadians knowing how troops treat troops.

Crantor said:
You know, there was a time when we (and by we I mean the CF) when we would kick out people for being homosexual.  There was a time also where you could be jailed for that too.  And I'm not talking about hundreds of years ago either. A few decades.  Some current members in the CF joined under that cloud.  Some may have actually been part of the system that drummed them out too.

It isn't necessarily something PC either.  it just has to do with recognising a segment of the forces that used to be marginalised by the CF.  If a flag being raised at a base during one week that is internationally recognised ruffles your feathers, I would suggest perhaps finding something else to do.  This is no big deal.

Well said.

If the comments on FB, Twitter and news pages are any indication, the general public is very pleased with the move.  Now that we are pulling away from Afghanistan, anything positive that we can throw out there for the public to see benefits us all.

Crantor said:

Yup that policy ended in January of 1986,  up until 1972 the forces would kick females out if they became pregnant, until the mid 60s they would kick them out if they became married. What is your point?

Now normally I would come in here mentioning how the LGBT community says "don't treat us any different, we're just like you but let's have a parade/raise a flag/etc to show everyone how different we are" but not this time.

I think the point about showing the LGBT community that we as Canadian Forces are accepting of everyone VS the common stereotype (maybe thanks to the US) that most people think about soldiers.

Good work.

Tank Troll said:
Yup that policy ended in January of 1986,  up until 1972 the forces would kick females out if they became pregnant, until the mid 60s they would kick them out if they became married. What is your point?

Actually it was officially changed in 1992 according to this http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/tml/article-eng.asp?id=22&y=2012&m=06

I was in Cornwallis at that time and it was no longer a way to "get out" of the Military. We were all inform that Homosexuals (they didn't use that term) could no longer be kicked out for that reason because of the charter of human rights. How ever that didn't mean that they weren't still discriminated against, just that they couldn't be kicked out for it. 

I will respond with the respect that this decision deserves. It is always nice to see when leadership is demonstrated and not conducted behind emails or the professing of 'we allow homosexuals to serve openly.'  When you have legislation; strategic, operational, and tactical plans to include diversity you are honouring individuals with respect and dignity based on their individual needs.  We have legislation for employment equity for woman, visible minorities, aboriginal, and persons with disabilities, why? Because Canada as a whole understands the importance of fulfilling the needs of the individuals that make up this great country. Individuals are the strength behind the collective goal of an institution.  The fundamental principle of acknowledging individual rights and freedoms is the foundation of why the CF is able to be progressive and creative in demonstrating leadership, developing strategies to improve employee health and wellness, and the inclusion of families. The CF often leads the way but not because of institutional force but because of the individual leadership that makes up that force from all ranks and defence team employees.

My last few months in the military were filled with interesting responses from senior ranks and many anecdotal stories from different individuals. In my eyes they emphasize the reason and importance of continued efforts to demonstrate leadership when it comes to the individual demographics that make up the CF;

'this is a sensitive subject'
'we don't need to know your business'
'divorce yourself from this and let the COC take care of it, things will come out otherwise' (response to my action of submitting a formal complaint)

Here is a link to some relevant background HX on the topic.  'Lest We Forget' them and the many more not listed.
http://www.clga.ca/Material/Records/docs/details/caf.htm

My salute to them.  :salute:

Actually, thinking about all of this, the part about this whole flag-raising that I like the best?  It was initiated at the lowest level - a person on the base requested it.  It wasn't directed from above and it wasn't mandated that all bases do the same.  This was Edmonton showing its support for its Edmonton soldiers who are part of the LGBT community.

Bzzliteyr said:
Who is base commander up there these days?

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/cfb_edmonton/EN/bcomd-cmdtb.html

Bzzliteyr said:
Now normally I would come in here mentioning how the LGBT community says "don't treat us any different, we're just like you but let's have a parade/raise a flag/etc to show everyone how different we are" but not this time.

I think the point about showing the LGBT community that we as Canadian Forces are accepting of everyone VS the common stereotype (maybe thanks to the US) that most people think about soldiers.

Good work.

I guess letting our serving members garner international attention by marching, in uniform, in Toronto's (and other cities) Pride parades doesn't do that then?

This is just a feel good initiative and, in actual fact, does absolutely nothing to change a single view of anyone on the subject.

It's nothing more than a "Woo hoo, look at me" attention whore moment.

"An opinion is like a penis, it’s okay to have one, it’s okay to be proud of it, it’s even okay to play with it. But it’s not okay to whip it out in public and try to shove it down the throats of others."

Back