• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Man Behind Most of the Ski Maps in America

garb811

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Reaction score
I wish the article was longer and had more illustrations. Not sure about the rest of you skiers but I've always loved trail maps and even on mountains I've skied on for years I've always got one in my pocket somewhere...

The Man Behind Most of the Ski Maps in America

There’s good chance that any time you slide off the top of a chairlift, you’ll be faced with James Niehues’s work. The 72-year-old Coloradan has hand-painted the maps used by more than 200 ski resorts. But skiing’s most prolific artist says he stumbled into it by luck.
More at linky.

I've taken to collecting them, and any posters handed out for future decorations of a garage wall or whatever. I also like being able to cross reference from my ski tracker and mark in the trails I have taken on different mountains, good conversation starter with other ski bums!

One trend I notice in the east compared to the west: souvenir trail signs. Maybe I am a geek, but I like having little moments from the different mountains I have hit up, and a trail sign is an easy one.

Back