• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Lynx how good was it?

onecat

Inactive
Reaction score
After read the current thread on the Lynx, i wanted to go a bit deeper and see how useful it was?  Was the Dutch version more useful as a reconnaissance vehicle? Was it better then the Ferret

Wow, this is a very complex question.

The Lynx had it's pluses.  It was excellent cross country, it could go through worse terrain than the M113, mostly because it was light in the front, the engine and transmission being in the rear.  As a result, the Lynx could find itself some very good positions to observe from.  It also had a low silhouette, which also was a big plus.

Minuses included a rather loud engine and track noise, weak armour, and a poor weapons fit.

The Lynx could have been better.  We mounted the M2 HMG that were in storage after we stopped flying the Sabres.  The cupola was designed for a 20mm.  However, we had loads of 50's, and no 20mm, so the decision was made.

I liked the Dutch version better, especially after they upgraded them.  They had the central cupola for the commander, and the driver had a steering bar, fuel and brake pedal instead of the tiller bars we had.  They also had a five speed Allison transmission, instead of the three speed we had.

The Ferret was a good companion for the Lynx, and we should have employed them together.  The Ferret was very fast, and could clear routes and so on quickly.  It wasn't anywhere near as good as the Lynx cross country, however.  It had better armour than the lynx, but only had the GPMG for armament.  It had absolutely no storage room, so all the kit, including personal kit, went outside.  The Ferret also could not be closed up, as the commander had no hatch.  This is quite nasty when artillery and/or bullets are flying.  The Ferret was very small, however, and combined with it's speed and relatively good armour, it could normally get out of trouble pretty quickly.

The only vehicle that equals the Lynx's capabilities nowadays, in my opinion, is the Weisel, which is an outstanding vehicle!

I can remember driving a lynx in Gagetown when i was with the Infantry school, we were doing a night nav on the advanced recce course and my crew commander got us turned around and the next thing I knew we were going through a swamp, seeing the cat tails i shouted in the ICS for him to hang on and put it to the mat, it was like hydroplaning across the water, the poor sap following us in a 113 wasn't so lucky, he got about 50 meters into the swamp and bogged down. It took a leapord Arvil to pull him out.

We had them in Germany and they were fun to drive, especially during the 70's and early 80's on reforger, we would baha through farmers fields with them and bomb through rural towns, trying to outrun the German marders who were chasing us, when we got to far ahead of the advance and got caught with our pants down. The Lynx always came through, plenty of speed so we could outrun almost any other tracked vehicle with the exception of the Bradley and the German Marder which are like race cars on tracks. We were probably dead when we first came in contact with the marder, but with no umpires around we kept on truckin and had a blast, playing smokey and the bandit. The Lynx was easy and a blast to drive and would take of like a bat out of hell when you put it to the mat.

I wish they would have kept the Lynx and maybe upgraded it, but again adding extra armour would probably of hampered its performance.

Happy trails old friend...

Marders or Bradley's couldn't chase us through those big trees, whenever we could find them!  Also, the Lynx was air droppable.  Not necessarily a good thing.
Even though the Lynx mount was designed for the 20mm, the supporting cradle made the 50 cal deadly accurate.
Not bad on winter EX either. Pound in a few track cleats on each side and no slipping or sliding!

Back