• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The Liberals shall rise again," says Conrad Black

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from the National Post is an excellent analysis by Conrad Black:

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2010/12/04/conrad-black-the-liberals-shall-rise-again/
Conrad Black: The Liberals shall rise again

Conrad Black
December 4, 2010

The current malaise of the federal Liberal Party is temporary, and could end at any time with a bit of leadership panache and original policy thinking. But a national day-care program, a policy of tying foreign aid to abortion rights, and Bob Fowler’s paean to the virtues of soft power at the recent pallid reenactment of Lester Pearson’s famous Diefenbaker-era Kingston thinkers’ conference, won’t do.

Michael Ignatieff, Bob Rae and Stéphane Dion are intelligent men, and the Liberals retain the advantage in access to cutting edge academics and professionals. It should not be beyond the wit of these leaders to patch together some interesting ideas that would get even the consumptive cynics of the political press buzzing about some novelty in the camp of the Liberals.

The political media have no love for the Conservatives, who are competent but not especially popular and widely believed to be a monolith whose every move beyond basic administration is widely thought to be wholly political. The media are ready to proclaim a Liberal renaissance, if they had anything to work with.

What sort of fresh ideas could fuel an invigorated Liberal party?

The economy is the major issue. And while Jim Flaherty is an able finance minister, and the government and central bank’s policies have been defensible and quite effective, there is plenty of room to propose corporate and personal income tax cuts, compensated for on the revenue side by taxes on certain types of sales and transactions that are elective and not especially stimulative.

Canada has an opportunity to lead the world in policy innovation, but it is unlikely that the Conservatives will get us there. Persevering readers will recall that I have plumped for a modest and self-liquidating wealth tax that would go to poverty-reduction projects that could be devised and administered by the taxpayer, and regulated in the same manner as charities. This would put the most agile financial minds behind poverty reduction and give the wealthiest an interest in addressing the issue. It would also make at least a modest start on income disparities, which should be attacked mainly by lifting the lowest, rather than tearing down the high earners.

I have already proposed stand-by tax adjustments that would incentivize savings and discourage spending on all but essential items, as the first line of defense against inflation, instead of just cranking up interest rates. Each 1% increase in the borrowing rate increases inflation by half a percent. This is a cure that pours gasoline on the fire until a back-breaking recession is induced to slice inflation off at the knees. And I believe the central bankers of the hard-currency countries do this, just because they have done it, as a habit. The Liberals have had innovative finance ministers, including William Fielding (for 19 years), James L. Ilsley, Douglas Abbott, Walter Harris, Walter Gordon, John Turner, Donald Macdonald, John Manley, Paul Martin (the younger), and Ralph Goodale. There is general puzzlement why there now are not more original ideas coming from the Liberal Party.

There is no discernible Liberal policy on national security matters, and foreign policy is awfully soggy at the edges; just worm-eaten chestnuts and tired pieties about the United Nations, a degraded institution that is now just primal-scream therapy for the most wretched and contemptible regimes in the world. Last week, I suggested a doubling of the size of the armed forces, as a method of achieving a number of desirable goals simultaneously: directly or indirectly taking 75,000 people off unemployment insurance and employing them, while training and invigorating them; promoting the economic stimulation of increased aerospace and shipbuilding activity and advanced research and development; and raising Canada’s standing in the world. We have just about played out the old peacekeeping routine, which has now been largely discredited as the misuse of United Nations funds to pay underdeveloped countries to provide under-trained forces as mercenaries in factional disputes in failed states, and call it peace-keeping. The armed forces could be partly merged with a job corps, conservation corps, and community-service units, and soldiers could be used in suitable tasks after basic military training has been provided.

Improved military capacity could have foreign-aid potential, as in Haiti, where, predictably, the aid effort has been a disaster, with the U.N. personnel widely blamed, fairly or not, for aggravating the deadly cholera epidemic. Canada should propose a joint protectorate of Haiti, between this country, Brazil, the United States, France, and if it would contribute, the U.K., and work out a long-term program of public health, education, administration, transport, tourism, light manufacturing, development and reforestation.

Liberals should not imagine that their malaise is just the end of the tribal bloc-vote in Quebec that gave the Liberals a lead of 50 to 70 MP’s coming westward into Ontario in every election between 1921 and 1984 except 1930 and 1958. Building on the Conservative conscription debacle of 1917, the Liberals romped to huge victories in Quebec in 17 of 19 federal elections in that period, representing themselves in Quebec as the party that would make Confederation work for Quebec, and outside Quebec as the party that would keep Quebec in Confederation. The Liberals formed the government after 14 of the 17 elections in which they swept Quebec (and the three that they lost, 1958, 1962, and 1979, produced parliaments that did not last a year). They will not get that advantage back. The Conservatives have just as strong a claim on Quebec voters now. And that is for the best: While King and Trudeau, especially, performed unique service in preventing the disintegration of the country, their strangle-hold on Quebec was unhealthy.

I proposed here two weeks ago that the three federalist parties co-operate to run a single candidate in each Quebec riding, to squeeze the anomalous Bloc Québécois. It appears that the Conservatives are cranking up to concede Quebec another $2.5-billion in annual tax revenue in exchange for the Bloc supporting the next budget and keeping the government in office until it can add about 12 MPs in Alberta, British Columbia, and Conservative-leaning parts of Ontario. It may be a legitimate tax-concession, so strident moralism is not called for, but the Liberals and NDP should take after this unholy alliance with the Bloc, hammer and tongs.

The Liberals will quickly end talk of a malaise if they revert to traditional Liberal positions. The government’s harsh treatment of convicted criminals — longer sentences, severe visiting restrictions, ending many vocational and recreational programs — is popular with the Conservative base. But it is a regressive and repulsive policy of the kind that past Liberal leaders would have opposed, as W.E. Gladstone raised Britain in the 1870’s against the atrocities of Disraeli’s Turkish ally. Michalel Ignatieff should be proposing reduced custodial sentences for non-violent felons, complete decriminalization of marijuana offenses, and more treatment and less incarceration for most drug offenders.

The Liberals have never really had a malaise before, even when they lost badly. There was no malaise under William Blake, Lester Pearson, or John Turner. All talk of a malaise will be banished when there is leadership that is both imaginative and faithful to the Party’s reforming traditions. It will come, either under this leader or his successor.

National Post
cbletters@gmail.com

Now, essentially, Black is telling the Liberals that if they will just follow his policies then all will be well. Wel, maybe, but ...

If we read a bit deeper, however, we can see that Black is right. The Liberals have been the “great reformers” of Canadian politics; they only abandoned that position in 1967. They have only 40 years of bad policy to erase if they want to be Canada's natural governing party yet again. They have, already, abandoned many of Trudeau's bad policies but there are still several to go – beginning with foreign and defence policies.

Every party has a left, centre and right. The party that will most often govern Canada will be the one with biggest, 'best' centre – a centre that sits, squarely, on top of the Canadian centre. That can be the Conservatives but it can, just as easily, be the Liberals, too. I think that the first thing the Liberals need to do, in order to regain its centre, is to shed their 'hard left' wing and let it migrate to the NDP. Then they can absorb a fair bit of the Conservative Party's left wing.

The Liberals, like the Conservatives, must figure out how to form a majority government without Québec; the first of them to figure out how to do this (hint: the answer surrounds Toronto and includes Alberta and BC and involves more HoC seats for all three places) will govern Canada most often.

I think that if the Conservatives can get a decent sized majority (not just 1 or 2 seats) and with their majority coming in the senate, they would likely strike out in this direction....before the Liberals would. You're asking the Liberals to disenfranchise a large part of their backroom power base by getting rid of the left within the party.Trudeau brought them in and they are rooted....

In my opinion, the Liberals have more to gain on the right than on the left.  It strikes me that the shrill leftist rhetoric of Dionne and Iggy is totally unlike the positions taken while the Liberals were in government.  Canadians do care about an impotent justice system and an almost 100 % fraudulent refugee system.  As a true blue conservative I can tell you that while Chretien spouted liberal rhetoric, he governed quite conservatively.

The current Liberal party stands for nothing, and only seems to be a vehicle for Bob Rae and Justin Trudeau (and their supporters and backers) to achieve their personal quest for power and glory. No wonder their electoral strongholds are dwindling away.

If the party can come up with new ideas and a coherent platform, then there is still a chance for the Liberal brand, but I am having serious doubts that the current Liberal Party establishment has the time or energy to do that, being consumed with infighting and hanging on to their perques and privileges (such as they are).

Political parties can and do dissolve rapidly, so there are several potential ways this story can end, most of them unhappily for the LPC

Yup, and it's going to snow in hell and the Leafs are going to win the Stanley Cup 8)

They're bound to rise again, it's just a matter of when and how.

I wouldn't be surprised if something came out in WikiLeaks documents that looks badly on either the Libs or the Conservatives, which would influence our next election.

... That's like saying that the sun will rise again without specifying which day, or what time. Of course they will!!! Heck, within the next 100 years, the NPD MIGHT even end up rising to the position of opposition  ;D

History repeats itself. This stuff more or less follows cycles, much like solar flares, hurricanes, ice ages, and impact events.

At this point I'll just be happy to support a party that has any kind of REAL leader.....

Peter McKay must throw up in his mouth some days when he sees some of the backwater hillbilly's from the Reform Party who are now the PC's 

I mean, am I the only one who thinks John Baird is a Giant Troglodyte? He reminds me of a Grade school bully who would steal kids juice and cookies...

Granted, Iggy is a tool, Jack is a Moron...  I mean really... We could probably do one hell of a school yard analogy on the guy at the Hill....  Except at least the school yard has adult supervision...

Tommy said:
At this point I'll just be happy to support a party that has any kind of REAL leader.....

Peter McKay must throw up in his mouth some days when he sees some of the backwater hillbilly's from the Reform Party who are now the PC's 

I mean, am I the only one who thinks John Baird is a Giant Troglodyte? He reminds me of a Grade school bully who would steal kids juice and cookies...

Granted, Iggy is a tool, Jack is a Moron...  I mean really... We could probably do one hell of a school yard analogy on the guy at the Hill....  Except at least the school yard has adult supervision...

Ralph Goodale is just as big a bully. He just finesses it more. Instead of talking straight, he employs bafflegab.

Your post also won't be taken seriously if you judge people on their physical stature. It's immature and wrong. As such, I've already given more time to this response than I should have.

Thucydides said:
The current Liberal party stands for nothing, and only seems to be a vehicle for Bob Rae and Justin Trudeau (and their supporters and backers) to achieve their personal quest for power and glory. No wonder their electoral strongholds are dwindling away.

If the party can come up with new ideas and a coherent platform, then there is still a chance for the Liberal brand, but I am having serious doubts that the current Liberal Party establishment has the time or energy to do that, being consumed with infighting and hanging on to their perques and privileges (such as they are).

Political parties can and do dissolve rapidly, so there are several potential ways this story can end, most of them unhappily for the LPC

Nah....they're all sitting around waiting for the new second coming.....Justin.....yeah, right, there's a winner.... ::)

GAP said:
Nah....they're all sitting around waiting for the new second coming.....Justin.....yeah, right, there's a winner.... ::)

I'm not so sure that's the case.

First: there is a pretty solid right wing in the Liberal Party that is fiscally responsible and, therefore, anxious to wring the last vestiges of Trudeau père out of the Party - promoting Trudeau fils will not sit well with them. Think e.g. Scott Brison and Keith Martin - Martin is leaving politics, largely I think, over a fiscal issue: paying for universal health care.

Second: Justin Trudeau appears, to me anyway, to have "blotted his copybook" in the recent Vaughn by-election. His intervention seems to have backfired; he may have helped Fantino mobilize the Conservative base to get out and vote - something supporters of the governing party often fail to do in by-elections.

Third: there is plenty of potential opposition to young M. Trudeau; think Domonic LeBlanc and the aforementioned Scott Brison from Atlantic Canada, a big team from Québec - it is, after all a French Canadian's 'turn' to lead, and many others. Justin Trudeau is  not a shoo-in.

E.R. Campbell said:
Third: there is plenty of potential opposition to young M. Trudeau; think Domonic LeBlanc and the aforementioned Scott Brison from Atlantic Canada, a big team from Québec - it is, after all a French Canadian's 'turn' to lead, and many others. Justin Trudeau is  not a shoo-in.

But which Quebec Liberal hasn't already shot themselves in the foot? Arguably the best Quebec candidate isn't from the Liberal party, he's from the NDP. That being said, I don't see Mr Muclair changing parties.

If you would like a young, attractive, ethnic candidate, try: Anthony Rota. I think someone can make an argument that the rotation needs to be Anglo - French - Ethnic. (But Iggy Iffy Icarus is an Amglo because you cannot get much more WASP than the Grant family.)

Perhaps the Blue wing of the Liberal party should consider the lesson of the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats in the UK; caucus with the CPC and create a "coalition of the winners". I don't know how big the Blue wing actually is or how many Liberals would actually cross the floor, but given the alternatives are electoral extinction or the takeover of the party by the political left (Rae, Dion and the rest of that gang) or people pining for the past and willing to throw behind the Young Dauphin there may be something to consider here.

A coalition of the winners would certainly bring the government close to or into majority territory, which would also bring stability to our political system and allow some more action than nibbling around the edges.

Worth thinking about

Thucydides said:
Perhaps the Blue wing of the Liberal party should consider the lesson of the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats in the UK; caucus with the CPC and create a "coalition of the winners". I don't know how big the Blue wing actually is or how many Liberals would actually cross the floor, but given the alternatives are electoral extinction or the takeover of the party by the political left (Rae, Dion and the rest of that gang) or people pining for the past and willing to throw behind the Young Dauphin there may be something to consider here.

A coalition of the winners would certainly bring the government close to or into majority territory, which would also bring stability to our political system and allow some more action than nibbling around the edges.

Worth thinking about

That would be nice to see.... Moderates from the PC's and the Libs banding together for some sort of Common Sense Party....

That I could get behind...

recceguy said:
Ralph Goodale is just as big a bully. He just finesses it more. Instead of talking straight, he employs bafflegab.

Your post also won't be taken seriously if you judge people on their physical stature. It's immature and wrong. As such, I've already given more time to this response than I should have.

I'm not saying one is better then the other.... I just cant understand why Baird is always the go to person for the media, et al, when he is so inarticulate...  especially considering there are enough other conservatives who are far better spoken then he is.

And that was what I meant when I referred to him as a troglodyte... the way he sounds, his lack of emotional control when he speaks.... He sounds uneducated, uncouth... There are plenty of ways to speak your mind without loosing ones cool.... I don't like the way he works... not when I feel there are better members for the job.

I will attempt to word my posts more clearly in the future.

And for the Record, I vote Conservative... I support the Party, I just don't like some of the choices they make.

First off, I've been a card-carrying Lib for 4-5 years now - which is about how long I've been able to vote. I've stepped back from even bothering with politics lately because, to me, there is no good choice between the two parties. It used to be clear to me who was the better candidate, but now it's just picking between the lesser of two evils.

I've sat across from Dominic LeBlanc at the pub, where he focused on partisan politics and just demonized the Conservatives - making it far too red vs. blue for me. I've sat behind Ignatieff while he was speaking (here, behind him in black and white), and I feel like he's a fencesitter and opportunist who invents policies when the media gets upset about something. While he /did/ stand strongly on some issues and raise some good points, they seemed to be primarily the ones he knew he could stand behind safely. He also couldn't account for where money was coming from to fundraise and had no solutions to tuition problems for students - which, yes, is an issue to me.

I've shaken hands with Keith Martin and talked with him, he's a genuine guy, mostly. But, as mentioned, he's retiring and he was primarily focused on his own constituency to the point of voting against the party at times. While this is great for the constituents, it's not how one leads a national party that combines many constituencies.

As for Justin Trudeau? I saw him speak a couple months ago... and I'll be honest, I consider him the real deal. He's not just charismatic and a natural orator, but he understands that we're facing a lot of issues in the next decade that we're currently avoiding facing. He also comes off as someone who values others' opinions, especially when they disagree with him. He's a natural leader who will, one day, lead the Liberal party - if he wants to. In the next decade? Doubtful. I'd gladly vote for him one day, but it doesn't come off as if he's after power. I'm just not sure who could step in as a proper leader in the meantime.

As a side note - even as a Lib, I have more respect for Peter Mackay than nearly all of the Liberal cabinet, and I sincerely wish he was either a Lib, or leader of the Conservatives. I'd gladly vote blue if he was (and dominated the policymaking).

Just my  :2c:.

I guess it is in the eye of the beholder.

I attended a speech by the Young Dauphin and found him to be a very unengaging speaker, and the content of the speech was nothing to write home about either (except for the fact that the way he was dealing with economics and Capitalism would not have been out of place coming from Jack Layton's mouth).

I have also been to small events with the Prime Minister in attendance, and he is far more engaging in person. I have also met Peter Mackay and had a favourable impression as well. While I am not a card carrying Conservative (by inclination I would be a small l libertarian, but know what I am dealing with WRT the Libertarian Party), I do have access to some of these functions through friends and contacts, and have a fair idea of the ideas which animate the CPC. My contacts with people in the Liberal Party mostly confirm the overall impression of an institution in disarray; some of these people have very good ideas but no means of influencing the party's "machine", which views them somewhat like a baron would view serfs in the Middle Ages ("pay your dues, sell memberships and keep your mouth closed"). All in all, very disheartening.

hold_fast said:
As a side note - even as a Lib, I have more respect for Peter Mackay than nearly all of the Liberal cabinet, and I sincerely wish he was either a Lib, or leader of the Conservatives. I'd gladly vote blue if he was (and dominated the policymaking).
I think that if Mr. Mackay were the leader of the Conservative Party of Canada, their stock would go through the roof.  I believe him to be more centrist than right, and it doesn't hurt that he's a fit, attractive bachelor either.

Technoviking said:
it doesn't hurt that he's a fit, attractive bachelor either.

Not the first thing that would have caught my eye, but to each his own, I guess. Not that there's anything wrong with that ;)

C'mon, you know someone was going to pick it up :rofl:

Back