• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The Last Ship" tv series depicts USN AEGIS destroyer fighting global pandemic

My suspend disbelief mechanism is no longer working, watching TV and movies has worn out all the gears from attempting to maintaining my disbelief indefinably.

Colin P said:
My suspend disbelief mechanism is no longer working, watching TV and movies has worn out all the gears from attempting to maintaining my disbelief indefinably.

Mine wore out watching Ontario election advertisements.

jollyjacktar said:
Tried just now to watch the pilot.  Couldn't make it past the 14 minute mark.  Things that wouldn't bother a non-sailor such as no flash gear worn for the missile shoot, forget about General Quarters and they seem to be roaring around for 4 months etc without a RAS for fuel or food but seem to still have plenty of both.  Sorry but I can't get beyond the myriad of technical things that it will have to enjoy it for it's entertainment value.

What I did notice and interested me greatly was the CPF parked right behind the Yanks at "Norfolk"  (Palm trees too...) .  It was also flying the now Naval Jack (Maple Leaf) as the Ensign which means this was filmed before the swap between Jack and Ensign.  Could not ID her but she was pre-FELEX.  Wonder who she was from the West Coast.

But this new series has official US Navy support, so shouldn't there there be little or no major errors? So their technical advisers were cutting corners?

At another forum I posted this topic, some USN veterans there noted the lack of the use of dimmed red light in the CIC during the helicopter attack scene.

Many of the shipboard scenes were shot aboard the destroyers USS Dewey and USS Halsey docked in San Diego, as reported by the LA Times:

Los Angeles Times

I realize that the crew won't be wearing anti-flash gear as it would cover the faces of the actors and maybe muss their hair.  I'm sure that with official support of the USN it will be better than most, but that is why I'm picky on the nitty gritty.  Of course I'm also not the target audience and they'll never know the difference.  Heh, even in "Battleship" they were wearing anti-flash gear, if incorrectly.

Whaaa? You mean you can't really drift an Iowa class BB like they did in Battleship?

Next thing you know you guys will be telling me Fast and Furious was CGI...

:eek:

YIKES! That Russian warship they encountered at the end of episode 2 looks like a Kirov class battlecruiser!!

Whereas before some details like jt has brought up would have made me twitch being retired tends to mollify ones world view to max relax mode. ;)

I don't recall where I read it but the use of American helos initially, was because it was suppose to be a rogue group from the US trying to take out the USS Nathan James. I will see if I can find the source again.

2 things I have noticed:

1)  They have Tim Horton's teas in the wardroom; see 03:51mins into E2

2)  All battle damage sustained in E1 seems to have been repaired 100% with new sheet metal, paint and all.  Quite impressive work from the crew no doubt! lol

All in all I am enjoying this show for what its worth. 

So one question from episode 3:

You could really simulate a radar return from a modern destroyer by suspending a 2-3 metre long sheet of tin foil in the air?  ???

Seems the TV ratings exceeded expectations that the makers have approved a 2nd season:

TV Series Finale site

The Last Ship: Season Two for TNT TV Series
Published: July 18, 2014

Next summer, you’ll be able to watch season two of The Last Ship TV show on TNT. The cable channel has picked up the new action series for a second season of 13 episodes.

In a statement, TNT president Michael Wright said, “The Last Ship has become this summer’s top drama among key adult demos with its epic scale and visceral storytelling.”

On The Last Ship, the crew of the USS Nathan James must try to find a cure for a deadly virus that has wiped out most of the world’s population. The cast includes Eric Dane, Adam Baldwin, Rhona Mitra, Charles Parnell, Christina Elmore, Michaela McManus, Sam Spruell, Travis Van Winkle, and Tracy Middendorf.

The first four episodes of Last Ship have averaged 4.66 million viewers each week along with a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic. It’s TNT’s third most-watched series this summer, behind Rizzoli & Isles and Major Crimes.

(...EDITED)

Season 2 of the Last Ship is airing on June 21, 2015:

Source: TV Wise (UK)

TNT Unveils Trailer, Key Art For ‘The Last Ship’ Season 2

The-Last-Ship-S2-Key-Art.jpg

By Patrick Munn | April 4, 2015 - 9:25 pm | 0 Comments

Less than 48 hours after setting a June 21st premiere date, TNT has released a new trailer and the key art for the second season of their hit genre series The Last Ship.

The Last Ship picks up in the wake of a global catastrophe that nearly decimates the world’s population. Because of its positioning, the Navy destroyer U.S.S. Nathan James avoids falling victim to the devastating tragedy. But now, Captain Tom Chandler and his crew must confront the reality of their new existence in a world where they may be among the few remaining survivors.

The series is based on the novel of the same name by William Brinkley and was developed for television by Hank Steinberg and Steve Kane. The Platinum Dunes produced series stars Eric Dane (Grey’s Anatomy), Rhona Mitra (Strike Back), Adam Baldwin (Chuck), Travis Van Winkle (Heart of Dixie), Charles Parnell (Pariah), Christina Elmore (Fruitvale Station), Sam Spruell (Snow White and The Huntsman) and Marissa Neitling (Leverage).

The show’s 13 episode second season picks up as Captain Chandler (Eric Dane), XO Slattery (Adam Baldwin) and the rest of the crew are working to disseminate the cure that paleomicrobiologist Dr. Rachel Scott (Rhona Mitra) developed at the end of season one. The Last Ship airs on Sky1 in the UK.

Anyone know where one might be able to watch Season 1 online?

S.M.A. said:
So one question from episode 3:

You could really simulate a radar return from a modern destroyer by suspending a 2-3 metre long sheet of tin foil in the air?  ???

A late response to your queston - It's not out of the realm of the impossible, depending on the distance they did it from the target.  At long distances large targets look pretty much the same as small targets.  We used to align the PAR (Precision Approach Radar) at airfields by using radar reflectors at the ends of the runway.  The radar reflectors (similar to picture below) aren't much bigger than 1-1.5 feet across.

Marine_Solar_Radar_Reflector_Metal.jpg_220x220.jpg

I must say that I am hooked on this show now. Watched the entire first season last week and caught up with the second. As for official support by the USN it makes sense recruiting wise I guess. I don't envy you sailors who are hunting/be hunted by a submarine. Seems like the submarines have a distinct advantage.

Just a question for the navy folks from what I saw in the last episode. I submarine that was out of firing range launched 20 missiles flying over the destroyer toward inland. Would you be able to take them all out? In the show they were able to take out only two.

Somehow I got hooked to this show as well, and I'm glad I know nothing about ships and helicopters. Makes it that much more enjoyable.
I loved the fight scene on the medical ship where the new guy (the new zealand guy) did some hand to hand and then put holes in all of them.

I'm hooked as well. Though I'm a little taken aback that the RN has so many deranged officers and rates!!!

The producers have done a decent job with terminology during the ASW action (S02 E06) between the DDG and Astute.

As for the TLAM attack on the labs, the missles launched by Astute are subsonic so the SM2 should have been able to shoot down more than 2. The labs would of had more than 2 hrs to evacuate prior to the missles getting from the coast of Florida and flying all the way to Phoenix, Salt Lake City and Madison.

All in all its a good show even if you have to suspend reality every once in awhile.

FSTO,

Now that USS Nathan James is fighting that crew of radical "immunes" on the ex-HMS Achilles SSN, don't you think the Nathan James' crew would have their burdened lightened if they had a skeleton crew manning one of those empty DDGs docked at Norfolk?

You have an imminent sub-surface threat and another DDG would help cover more area. Cdr. Chandler would have more firepower if he was in command of more than one DDG.

Even if there are manning issues, the skeleton crew can still serve as the core of a crew that can be rebuilt from taking more personnel from Norfolk naval base, or even USNS Solace's crew.

Just an idea.

S.M.A. said:
FSTO,

Now that USS Nathan James is fighting that crew of radical "immunes" on the ex-HMS Achilles SSN, don't you think the Nathan James' crew would have their burdened lightened if they had a skeleton crew manning one of those empty DDGs docked at Norfolk?

You have an imminent sub-surface threat and another DDG would help cover more area. Cdr. Chandler would have more firepower if he was in command of more than one DDG.

Even if there are manning issues, the skeleton crew can still serve as the core of a crew that can be rebuilt from taking more personnel from Norfolk naval base, or even USNS Solace's crew.

Just an idea.

Oh I agree. There was about a 1/2 dozen DDG's in the harbour when they got to Norfolk and they should have been able to find enough retired or capable people to be able to sail one or two more ships. (the XO would have gotten his command!!). As for the ASW action, well you don't hang around to fight a SSN all by yourself, GTFOOD and let the helo at her.
One other thing I noticed is that when they showed all the aircraft leaving for the labs, they were all taking off from NAS San Diego. I have seen Pt Loma enough times to spot that little error.

Just a reminder...tonight is the penultimate/"2nd to the last" episode in this season.

That makes next week's episode the possibly very last one of the whole series.

I don't see how they can further stretch the story any more for another season.

It seems my last post above was wrong, since the article below confirms this series has been renewed for a THIRD season.

Variety

TNT Renews ‘The Last Ship’ for Season 3

AUGUST 11, 2015 | 12:02PM PT
“The Last Ship” has been renewed for season three, TNT announced Tuesday.

Currently in its second season, the Eric Dane starrer from exec producer Michael Bay has been greenlit for a 13-episode third season, which is slated to premiere in summer 2016.

The Navy-set action adventure, based on William Brinkley’s novel of the same name, revolves around a global catastrophe that nearly wipes out the world’s population, though the destroyer USS Nathan James avoids the tragedy, forcing its captain (Dane) and the ship’s crew to confront the new reality that they are among the world’s few survivors.

Rhona Mitra and Adam Baldwin co-star, alongside the “Grey’s Anatomy” alum. Travis Van Winkle, Charles Parnell, Christina Elmore, Marissa Neitling, John Pyper Ferguson and Jocko Sims round out the cast.

(...SNIPPED)

Back