• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Land Operations Temperate Boots (LOTB)

Does anyone have the new boots in the system?  What one is better the one with or without the zipper?  We were told you get to choose one or the other and that's it; no test or exchange.

I just heard from a Formation CWO the new boots that were supposed to come out are dead.  Program has been cancelled and the Army is back to step zero.... Again

How do we go from issuing boots with a plan and implementation order (including a delay to get production levels up), to complete grinding to a halt and cancellation? Is anything on CID or DLR pages on DWAN?

PuckChaser said:
How do we go from issuing boots with a plan and implementation order (including a delay to get production levels up), to complete grinding to a halt and cancellation? Is anything on CID or DLR pages on DWAN?

I haven't seen anything but I've heard from multiple sources it's over.  The zippers of the one pair supposedly were bursting after a few weeks of use (something many people predicted) and the soles of the boots were too soft for the field. 

Humphrey Bogart said:
..... zippers of the one pair supposedly were bursting after a few weeks of use (something many people predicted) and the soles of the boots were too soft for the field.
But if you're wearing out the butt of your CADPAT in a cubicle....  >:D

Journeyman said:
But if you're wearing out the butt of your CADPAT in a cubicle....  >:D

Don't forget the elbows!  Mine are literally white!

Dimsum said:
But how about the knees?  :whistle:
Staff officer problems?

As for the soles being too soft, we shouldn't be designing combat boots after swats. Those things fall apart after a year of ruck marches.

Maybe the Army will decide to award the contract to companies 1-6 who beat these guys out. Companies likely to be Oakley, Rocky, Belleville, but aren't made in Canada. They're considering off shore for the ships, let's do it for boots.

PuckChaser said:
Staff officer problems?

As for the soles being too soft, we shouldn't be designing combat boots after swats. Those things fall apart after a year of ruck marches.

Maybe the Army will decide to award the contract to companies 1-6 who beat these guys out. Companies likely to be Oakley, Rocky, Belleville, but aren't made in Canada. They're considering off shore for the ships, let's do it for boots.

Problem is none of those companies will sell Boulet, Kodiak, etc... Their patents  ;)

I would personally go with Lowa's, best army boot on the market IMO.  It's what the Brits and Germans use  8)

Humphrey Bogart said:
I would personally go with Lowa's, best army boot on the market IMO.  It's what the Brits and Germans use  8)

I like my Lowas, but $420 per boot is steep, even the cheaper versions are $300+.

At the end of the day, boots are just a microcosm of what's wrong with the procurement system. We don't get the best available, that meets all mandatory requirements at the market price. We get whatever a Canadian company has, that may or may not meet requirements, at an inflated price because we absorb the cost of retooling.

I bet if we asked Rocky to ship us 50,000 pairs of S2Vs in Coyote Brown, we'd have them in 3 months, ready to issue.

PuckChaser said:
I like my Lowas, but $420 per boot is steep, even the cheaper versions are $300+.

Didn't stop the Brits from outfitting their entire Army with multiple pairs per soldier 8)

At the end of the day, boots are just a microcosm of what's wrong with the procurement system. We don't get the best available, that meets all mandatory requirements at the market price. We get whatever a Canadian company has, that may or may not meet requirements, at an inflated price because we absorb the cost of retooling.

I bet if we asked Rocky to ship us 50,000 pairs of S2Vs in Coyote Brown, we'd have them in 3 months, ready to issue.

Proper footwear is probably one of the most basic requirements of an Army.  The fact we haven't had any in a decade plus is criminal.  It symbolizes everything that is wrong with the bureaucracy and the civil service that supports it. 

Completely agree. It also shows a systematic failure of senior leadership to raise this issue up to the highest levels, and more than just once. CCA should be in the CDS' office constantly about this, and perhaps even a few letters to the CBC.

PuckChaser said:
Completely agree. It also shows a systematic failure of senior leadership to raise this issue up to the highest levels, and more than just once. CCA should be in the CDS' office constantly about this, and perhaps even a few letters to the CBC.

I agree and it's one of the reasons I have a very low opinion of a lot of senior folks in this military.

Between boots, radios and the lack of a b-fleet, I would use far too many expletives if I were to actually post how I truly feel about our performance.

At least we have new flags and patches for all our L2 formations.

MCG said:

I also heard they are trying to change our ranks again :rofl:

The GOFOs are unhappy and want maple leafs to replace their pips  ;D

MCG said:

Just saw the DIV Sgt Maj with the div patch on CADPAT.... :facepalm:

NFLD Sapper said:
Just saw the DIV Sgt Maj with the div patch on CADPAT.... :facepalm:

I was hoping that this would not actually happen.

Back