• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Land Operations Temperate Boots (LOTB)

Yep, the Brown looks a bit like the suede MOD Brown boots I have seen. Most companies have 3-4 models to choose from.

Lowa http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/elite-mountain-gtx/2108900493/8

Altberg http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/mens-desert-microlite-mod-brown/

Haix http://www.haix.co.uk/military/

Since fashion is our highest priority these days, I want the boot without a zipper in the colour of the boot with the zipper.

High end boot companies with years of experience incorporating zippers into boots  (which have been used overseas for 10+ years) have had issues with zippers blowing out. Despite lots of trial and error time it was still enough of an issue for some CoCs to ban their use.

Considering the quality issues we have had with "made at home" uniforms and boots in the very recent past does anyone expect the zippers on these boots not to be a catastrophic fail?

ObedientiaZelum said:
High end boot companies with years of experience incorporating zippers into boots  (which have been used overseas for 10+ years) have had issues with zippers blowing out. Despite lots of trial and error time it was still enough of an issue for some CoCs to ban their use.

Considering the quality issues we have had with "made at home" uniforms and boots in the very recent past does anyone expect the zippers on these boots not to be a catastrophic fail?

I'm guessing it's all going to have to do with what your job is.

Infantry and Combat Engineer might stress them to break.

However, we crewmen wore zippers in our boots for years with no problem.

Now the ones in our head................  ::)

ObedientiaZelum said:

I think the zipper's are a poor choice so I'll take two pairs of the Kodiaks.  Look on the bright side, at least we are getting a pair of boots that won't be complete pieces of junk.  Now what I am really hoping for is that it doesn't take 6 months to get a pair and that they don't have the stupidest sizing system in the world. 

Nothing worse then going into supply telling them you'd like a size 11 and having them give you a 276-3-6-whatever and then tell you it will take 3 months to order, you will need to wear it for 3 months and then if it doesn't fit properly, bring it back and repeat the process until you finally have the right size  ::)

Meanwhile, you have an exercise on Monday and it's Friday and you just blew your last pair of MkIII's out.

RoyalDrew said:
Now what I am really hoping for is that it doesn't take 6 months to get a pair and that they don't have the stupidest sizing system in the world. 

Nothing worse then going into supply telling them you'd like a size 11 and having them give you a 276-3-6-whatever and then tell you it will take 3 months to order, you will need to wear it for 3 months and then if it doesn't fit properly, bring it back and repeat the process until you finally have the right size  ::)

That's why I think I'll keep what I have and/or buy my own in a real store. 

MCG said:
Since fashion is our highest priority these days, I want the boot without a zipper in the colour of the boot with the zipper.

Funny how that was my first thought too  :p Actually had more to do with the zipper ones looking a bit less clunky and heavy (but that's just appearance from a photo, haven't seen a pair in real life)

Are these going to be issued to the Army and RCAF, or just RCAF?  We just went thru a project to get new boots not that long ago, so it's about time to replace those with something new.  ^-^

acen said:
Magnum already makes boots to the UK's MOD Brown, which is very similar to the Royer offering. The big european boot makers are aboard as well (Lowa, Altberg etc).

Lowa's are brilliant and that's what I'd be spending my money on if I wanted a non-issue boot!

They look a little short, especially the lighter coloured one. Gonna need longer pants  :(

I never thought I would EVER say this: You can have my MkIIIs from my cold, dead, feet.

Transporter said:
They look a little short, especially the lighter coloured one. Gonna need longer pants  :(

Good luck, is the contract signed for those yet? I don't have shirts that fit properly, been told to wait for the new ones in the system... that you can't request as they only show up at random from depot.

The latest from the Info-machine on the new boots:
Soldiers will soon be able to choose which combat boots suits them best.

The Directorate of Land Requirements and the Directorate of Soldier Systems Program Management will give soldiers a choice about which type of Land Operations Temperate Boot (LOTB) they wish to wear. This choice marks a change in how combat footwear is issued, allowing soldiers to choose their preference out of two designs of boots.

This is the newest development to address the requirement for a new temperate combat boot for the Army, and will replace the in-service combat boots, Mark III and the General Purpose Boots.

In order to achieve the most successful design possible, the Directorate of Land Requirements conferred with Canadian footwear manufacturers about the features soldiers were looking for in a combat boot. These findings were used as the starting point for the requirements of the new designs.

The new requirements placed more emphasis on weight, shock absorption, traction, fit, comfort (including thermal quality and breathability) construction and durability, and over-all design. 

This phase of selecting the new LOTB began in Spring 2013. A total of thirteen boots were received for evaluation through a Request for Proposal, and went through a process of assessment based on appearance and technical performance. The top three boots were selected for a user evaluation trial.

In October 2013, a total of 600 soldiers from Valcartier, Petawawa and Edmonton were issued a pair of one of the three trial boots. Soldiers were directed to wear the boots for 45 days while conducting normal duties and training, and evaluate the boots on the new requirements.

The goal of the trial was to have one boot achieve a minimum of a 60% user performance rating in order for it to be deemed acceptable for issue. In the event that two of the boots achieved a user acceptance of 70% or better and were within 10% of each other, provisions were made to allow the contract to be split and allow both boots to be purchased.

At the conclusion of the trial period, soldiers evaluated the performance of the boots, and it was determined that two out of the three boots had achieved the needed performance rating. Accordingly, both boots were approved for distribution.

Production of the new boots will commence in the late Spring and Summer this year and will be ready for issue in early 2015.

By Elyse Van Herk, Army Public Affairs
With Files from Capt Leigh Mathieson
14-0023-newbootsm.JPG

14-0023-newboots2.JPG

ObedientiaZelum said:

I agree 100%. Blow out a zipper in the middle of nowhere, or anywhere where replacements aren't readily available, and you're pretty much up s*** creek. Bust a lace anywhere, anytime and you'll still be able to fix it rather easily. 

Entirely garrison question: is there any maintenance/re-colouring/whatever for the tan boots? Or will the new standard accept that boots get looking beat up?

quadrapiper said:
Entirely garrison question: is there any maintenance/re-colouring/whatever for the tan boots? Or will the new standard accept that boots get looking beat up?

Watch and shoot, I reference the ECU trousers that there's gonna be be people who are anal about old standards and spit n' polish and until there's a change in the dress regs we won't see any advancement.

Our tan boots were black within 2 weeks in Italy after crawling around on aircraft and getting in contact with oil, hydraulics and fuel. They should just let us keep our black boots for hangar use.

A year after the last post, and I still haven't seen these "in the wild". Anyone know what's going on with getting these into general issue?

I thought I remember seeing something that they were delayed into general issue until Fall 2015 (of course). The news article in the previous page says early 2015, so its likely a few months away.

Back