• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Land Operations Temperate Boots (LOTB)

MeatheadMick said:
I've had the same zippered boots for 2 years... seen multiple months in the field. The tabs are busted off, but they still zip fine. However... with issued boots, they're probably going to be shitty zippers :D

I'd like to see how those zippers will hold up after two weeks grubbing around in trenches at Wainwright or Gagetown.

daftandbarmy said:
I'd like to see how those zippers will hold up after two weeks grubbing around in trenches at Wainwright or Gagetown.

I'll give you that, not a whole lot of dismounted time spent in trenches, and whenever it was muddy, they were protected by Neos. Touche Daft... Touche lol

MeatheadMick said:
I'll give you that, not a whole lot of dismounted time spent in trenches, and whenever it was muddy, they were protected by Neos. Touche Daft... Touche lol

OTOH, one of the latest trends in high performance mountaineering boots includes zippers, but it's usually only for the integrated Gore-Tex gaiter.

http://www.backcountry.com/mammut-nordwand-tl-mountaineering-boot-mens

This might be a good option for winter/artic boots, but would probably still suck for we grunts, who would likely wind up holding their boots together with the usual repair kit essential: gun tape.

zippers always freeze that would suck for winter i cant even count how many times ive had to defrost zippers with my breath only to have them freeze again

From the Info-machine:
The Honourable Gary Goodyear, Minister of State (Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario), on behalf of the Honourable Rob Nicholson, Minister of National Defence, today announced that the Government of Canada has awarded two contracts totalling $11.7 million to Kodiak Group Holdings and LP Royer for two types of new Canadian-made boots for the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF).

The Kodiak Group Holdings contract is valued at approximately $4.2M for 28,000 pairs of one version. The company’s headquarters are in Cambridge, Ontario, and the boots will be manufactured in Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. The L.P. Royer contract is for 52,000 pairs of a second version and is valued at approximately $7.5M. They will be manufactured onsite in Lac Drolet, Quebec. The contracts include options to buy up to an additional 70,000 boots over 4 years, which could bring the contract value up to an estimated $22 million.  Production of the new boots will commence in the late Spring/Summer of 2014 and will be ready for use in early 2015.

These two contracts represent the creation of approximately 58 jobs and the sustainment of approximately 155 jobs across Canada. Specifically, the contract to L.P. Royer represents the creation of approximately 50 jobs and the sustainment of approximately 80 jobs; and the contract to Kodiak Group Holdings represents the creation of approximately 8 jobs and the sustainment of approximately 75 jobs.

Quick Facts
  • The boots are Canadian-made.
  • Soldiers were consulted during the selection process and the final decision was based on user trials in Quebec, Ontario and Alberta.
  • The development of this boot leverages Canadian industry and supports Canadian innovation.
  • CAF soldiers will soon have a choice as to which type of boot they wish to wear depending on the fit and features of each.
  • Two styles of boot will be procured with initial delivery quantities of 52,000 pairs of one variant and 28,000 pairs of a second.

Given the record of boot quality from Quebec, I'll bet they run out of the Kodiaks before there's a dent in the 52,000 from the Belle Province.

Don't know if there's a tie in, but the Mk llls that served us so well were really Greb Kodiaks.

So, if fears come to pass as a result of the next Quebec provincial election (which I personally don't think they will)....one of these contracts will kinda throw a wrench into Canada's "buy Canadian" policy. 

Seperation.

[quote author=Rick Mercer]
"The Parti Québecois is like some guy in a bar telling his friends he's going to leave his wife except he's going to keep the house and the dog and plus they’re going to sleep with each other when he’s in the mood. And oh she's going to take over the car payments."
[/quote]

120jgyb.jpg

9uvn13.jpg

imnqdl.jpg

The zippered boot is the one manufactured by Royer. Why the difference in quantity?

Kodiak will be making the boots here in NFLD at their Harbour Grace facility.

So now that we know the color of both boots, what are the options from magnum and other suppliers?

Quirky said:
So now that we know the color of both boots, what are the options from magnum and other suppliers?

Magnum already makes boots to the UK's MOD Brown, which is very similar to the Royer offering. The big european boot makers are aboard as well (Lowa, Altberg etc).

I look forward to them coming into the supply depot and leaving. And down the road I'm sure I'll be asked "Why do you still wear those god ugly black things."

To which I reply, " I'm a true Supply tech that supports his customers and trying to get the best possible stuff out, I see no reason to self indudge (sample ) in what I provide them as that may take away from what is needed out there."

Man I do miss work in clothing stores.

acen said:
Magnum already makes boots to the UK's MOD Brown, which is very similar to the Royer offering. The big european boot makers are aboard as well (Lowa, Altberg etc).

Are they safety/CSA boots?

http://www.guelphmercury.com/news-story/4425870-kodiak-lands-4-2-million-boot-deal-with-canadian-armed-forces/

personally I would be inclined to wear the the zippered boot in garrison and the the tan one in the field. At least you have that strap there that will no doubt also fail when the zipper goes

Eye In The Sky said:
http://www.guelphmercury.com/news-story/4425870-kodiak-lands-4-2-million-boot-deal-with-canadian-armed-forces/

Apparently our GP's (or maybe gortex I can't tell from the small picture) have been around since the 1940's

The way they were built probably hasn't changed since the 40s though. Leather upper, thick heavy sole, etc. Materials changed a bit, but the design never caught up with the times.

DexOlesa said:
Apparently our GP's (or maybe gortex I can't tell from the small picture) have been around since the 1940's

The concept of a black leather boot yes, the GP and Gortex (issued to troops late 90's early 2000's??) not so much ... besides they are just showing off the other types of boots they have produced....

Back