• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Land Operations Temperate Boots (LOTB)

Just in case there are those who wish to complain the right way:

http://ucrs.mil.ca/

Wait for it - there will be plenty, then all the problems surface (becomes justification for Cpl Anydude to run out and buy the ones he truly wants...) BUT - I do see issues with the zipper.

Look at the number of successful, profitable footwear companies in the world though.  They are successful because not every shoe is made the same and not every foot is shaped the same.  There is enough variety to choose from that everyone can find something that fits their feet properly.

The CAF continues to ignore this and produces 1 or 2 type of boots and then gets pissed off when mbr complain about them.  Ignoring a fact like there are more than 10 different shapes of feet in the universe doesn't make it less of a reality. 

Eye In The Sky said:
Look at the number of successful, profitable footwear companies in the world though.  They are successful because not every shoe is made the same and not every foot is shaped the same.  There is enough variety to choose from that everyone can find something that fits their feet properly.

... Ignoring a fact like there are more than 10 different shapes of feet in the universe doesn't make it less of a reality.

Very excellent points! Now if you were to insert the word "breast" like so -

Look at the number of successful, profitable BRASSIER companies in the world though.  They are successful because not every BREAST is made the same and not every BREAST is shaped the same.  There is enough variety to choose from that everyone can find something that fits their BREASTS properly.

... Ignoring a fact like there are more than 10 different shapes of BREASTS in the universe doesn't make it less of a reality.

In no way am I attempting to make light of anything, I am merely drawing focus to the true basis of the BTU. Remove "foot" and insert "breast" and it's the same issue.

This doesn't make sense.

I'm looking at my boot rack and there's at least $1000 worth of booths that I've bought with my own money to use and that's not counting the numerous pairs of other boots which have been destroyed from use or that I don't use. I know I'm not the only one.

We were told once we get issued the brown boots we will be forbidden from using black boots or from using brown/tan boots whether they are bought with our money OR even if they are issued brown/tan boots. Only the new stuff will be used. Which is also kind of strange since there seems to be an anti-tan kit crusade against tan gloves, backpacks etc.. with a lot of units.  Even though an order came down that we're permitted to use tan t-shirts while green t-shirts run out of stock to make way for the new brown t-shirts we need a written note from clothing saying they are in fact out of green shirts.

In any case it's going to be awesome for the medical and supply system once they are bombarded by requests from members who feel (rightly or wrongly) these 2 different styles of boots don't work for them/hurt their feet. 

I have been jealously guarding a brand new pair of Mk III combat boots and have just started breaking them in.

I got a few 'oo, ahs' down at the unit this week when I waltzed in with them, which tells me that this kind of boot is still highly regarded.

At least by old farts like me :)

Jarnhamar said:
Though an order came down that we're permitted to use tan t-shirts while green t-shirts run out of stock to make way for the new brown t-shirts we need a written note from clothing saying they are in fact out of green shirts.

You guys are switching to brown T-shirts? What has this world come to...

I am having flashbacks to the early 90s when there was the "new" combat shirt in the system that RSMs everywhere prohibited from being worn on their parade squares.  And woe to the poor soldier who was only issued shirts in that style...

dapaterson said:
I am having flashbacks to the early 90s when there was the "new" combat shirt in the system that RSMs everywhere prohibited from being worn on their parade squares.  And woe to the poor soldier who was only issued shirts in that style...

I had one of those...with the square chest pockets and pen racks?  Yeah, they freaked out that I wore it on my GMT.

Gotta love bring issued kit and them someone decides you can't wear it.  This stupidity is something we can do something about inside the CAF.  If I can't wear it why are we wasting money and time procuring it?

Eye In The Sky said:
Gotta love bring issued kit and them someone decides you can't wear it.  This stupidity is something we can do something about inside the CAF.  If I can't wear it why are we wasting money and time procuring it?

Inside my pea brain, if the Queen issued it, it's good to go.

Eye In The Sky said:

That's due in large part to the baffling OCD-like behaviour of some RSMs (apologies to any here who aren't dinosaurs) to have everyone look exactly the same while in operational kit. 

I got mine last week. We weren't given the option, we were issued one of both types. It's a push so you can keep your current boots as souvenirs. I would have gotten two pairs of the lace-less boots had I been given the chance. The laced version is pretty close to coyote tan and the zippered one is a darker brown but paradoxically has an almost white sole? They are both a little too low for my taste... I prefer an 8'' boot myself. A couple open-minded individuals used them the day after they were issued to us to complete a BFT and nobody's feet were destroyed. I used my Blackhawk coyote tan warriors instead. The pair with zippers is more akin to slippers than boots and the lace-less pair is somewhat sturdier; I believe it has a steel shank in the stole. These boots are a step in the right direction anyway; on the bright side one can now simply buy any pair of the multitude of coyote tan boots on the market and call it a day.

Arid Region Boot, Magnum Amazon 4 in DOD Brown, LOTB, Blackhawk Warrior Coyote Tan, Original Swat Tan.

The zippered pair is still in the box at the office... lol

@Mr. St-cyr What do you do for cleaning these? Just a wipe down with soapy water and a rag each night?

Mr. Gigglesworth said:
I got mine last week. We weren't given the option, we were issued one of both types. It's a push so you can keep your current boots as souvenirs. I would have gotten two pairs of the lace-less boots had I been given the chance. The laced version is pretty close to coyote tan and the zippered one is a darker brown but paradoxically has an almost white sole? They are both a little too low for my taste... I prefer an 8'' boot myself. A couple open-minded individuals used them the day after they were issued to us to complete a BFT and nobody's feet were destroyed. I used my Blackhawk coyote tan warriors instead. The pair with zippers is more akin to slippers than boots and the lace-less pair is somewhat sturdier; I believe it has a steel shank in the stole. These boots are a step in the right direction anyway; on the bright side one can now simply buy any pair of the multitude of coyote tan boots on the market and call it a day.

Arid Region Boot, Magnum Amazon 4 in DOD Brown, LOTB, Blackhawk Warrior Coyote Tan, Original Swat Tan.

The zippered pair is still in the box at the office... lol

This picture reminds me of a story....

Once upon a time there was a platoon that I know of that turned up on a formal-ish parade each wearing, on their left feet, one type of issued boot and on their right, another type of issued boot.

Just sayin' :)

Back