• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Khadr Thread

jollyjacktar said:
Ah, not necessarily.  I was able to vote for the independent candidate in my home riding last election.  This way I was able to give the finger to all three big brands and still exercise my civic duty as a citizen.
I stand corrected - and the bit in yellow would make it worth it some days, wouldn't it?  :salute:

When it comes to matters of national security  and terrorism we should pump prisoners full of truth drugs and start asking questions.

Rex Murphy has a good piece here.

Rex Murphy: Justin Trudeau skips the theme socks for his scheming Omar Khadr apology

Three things mark the Khadr announcement. The government didn’t want to be associated with it. They wanted it done swiftly. And they didn’t want Trudeau on the same continent when the news broke

… and started like a guilty thing upon a fearful summons.
— Hamlet

How and when Canadians were let in on the Trudeau government’s lavish settlement and accompanying official apology to Omar Khadr are its most curious and telling elements. No cabinet minister, and certainly not Justin Trudeau, stepped before a bank of microphones and cameras to bring the good news to Canadians before it was a done deal. How unlike Trudeau to put a blanket over his good deeds — more usually he orders up another pair of billboard socks to mark such occasions. No socks for Khadr.

We learned of it from Ottawa’s scoop master, Robert Fife. Fife is a reporter, not a Liberal spokesman. No spokesman was provided for days. The word, as it were, just got out. And it’s surely a coincidence that it got out at the tail end of our Canada Day celebrations, and on the eve of morning of the American’s Fourth of July. Wedged in between competing fireworks, so to speak. Was there anyone in the Canadian government who thought this tendentious settlement was a good way to end our national birthday party and send a message to the Americans at the beginning of theirs? However we feel about Khadr’s various doings, the Americans are still more than a little sensitive on this score. Was the timing, then, incidentally or accidentally, a diplomatic shot in the ribs to the Americans, a touch of impishness or sly scorn towards Trumpian America?

The bells were still tolling for Canada’s birthday and Trudeau headed off to Ireland when the news was leaked. So he was conveniently across the sea and on another continent by the time people were shaking their heads over the vast cash award, all but immune to having to answer questions about it. The travelling press caravan did get one question to him, and his comment — it’s a magical piece of work — had more blarney in it than the famous stone itself: “There is a judicial process underway that has been underway for a number of years now and we are anticipating, like I think a number of people are, that that judicial process is coming to its conclusion.”

If this be transparency let us have mud. Clams are more open. If there is information in that statement, it is under armed guard and in witness protection. Drop the padding and what we have is this: there is a process, there has been a process, and Trudeau and an unspecified number of people think this process will end. If he had just added, “And a proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it’s proven” we could embed this glory right under the Gettysburg address in the quotation books.

No naming of Khadr. No mention of the dollar sum. No reference to the apology. No commiserating remarks for Tabitha Speer, the wife of the dead American medic. Equally stunning, Trudeau neglected to highlight its “diversity,” which for any Justin Trudeau statement is the equivalent of going to bed without saying your night prayers.

On Thursday, we had the capper. Fife again — he is quickly becoming the Paul Revere of all Khadr news — gave us the revelations that the $10.5 million, tax free be it noted, had already been handed over. Process complete. A government famously so sluggish in so many areas — veterans’ treatment comes first to mind — went full Road Runner getting the cash to Khadr.

Three things mark the Khadr announcement. The government didn’t want in any visible way to be associated with it. They wanted it done swiftly and with maximum distraction. And they didn’t want Trudeau on the same continent when the news broke.

Why so coy, it must be asked? Why would Trudeau and his government, having done, as I am sure in later days they will emphatically insist, the right thing, the just thing, the principled thing, the Charter-compliant thing, be so shy of association with their own high righteousness?

Most likely because there are so many questions about the Khadr absolution and jackpot he doesn’t want to answer or cannot.

Why the outlandish amount? Does not repatriation, removal from the American system of justice, and a full apology from the entire government of Canada signify a generous correction by the Canadian state of what it perceives as the wrongs done to Khadr?

What does he think is the response of Canadian soldiers, particularly veterans of Afghanistan, to this deal? I’d say they are furious. He owes the servicemen and women an accounting. If he is confident of the rightness of the award, the amount, the instant payment, and the state apology, he owes them his thinking on the matter. Not some jumbled vapourizing on process mumbled reluctantly over shamrocks and sock displays in Ireland.

Finally, the judicial process. Trudeau was slippery when he talked of “anticipating” the “judicial process is coming to its conclusion.” No such thing. He had amputated the judicial process when he made those remarks. Took it out of the courts and straight to lavish settlement. Premier Brad Wall made the point as well as any: “… there ought never be an offer to ‘settle.’ Some things are worth the legal fight … right to the end.”

There is as much politics as justice involved in the Khadr settlement. In fact, there’s much more. And the manner and timing of how it has been “resolved” is a straightline indication that the political dimension is at least as powerful as the judicial one. It’s summer now, and sunny days, but fall will come, with a good chance of a long winter too on this business.

National Post

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-murphy-i-suspect-mr-trudeau-will-skip-the-theme-socks-for-the-omar-khadr-apology/wcm/05aa6ed9-bbe2-4976-bedc-219efac565df

Aaaaaaaaand for the record, coming out mid-afternoon on a Friday, the info-machine's apology (also attached in case the link doesn't work for you) ...
Today, the Honourable Chrystia Freeland, Minister of Foreign Affairs, and the Honourable Ralph Goodale, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, issued the following statement:

“Today, we are announcing that the Government of Canada has reached a settlement with Mr. Omar Khadr, bringing this civil case to a close.

On behalf of the Government of Canada, we wish to apologize to Mr. Khadr for any role Canadian officials may have played in relation to his ordeal abroad and any resulting harm.

We hope that this expression, and the negotiated settlement reached with the Government, will assist him in his efforts to begin a new and hopeful chapter in his life with his fellow Canadians.

The details of the settlement are confidential between Mr. Khadr and the Government.”

Attachments

• Statement of apology to Mr. Omar Khadr - Canada.pdf
    23.1 KB · Views: 27
From the National Observer (this view endorsed by Kim Campbell, and from a former prosecutor:

http://www.nationalobserver.com/2017/07/07/opinion/what-if-omar-khadr-isnt-guilty

Excellent piece by Terrible Terry Glavin (certainly one of our top journalists):

The shady business of paying Omar Khadr
Khadr deserves to get on with his life, but Ottawa did everything wrong with his $10.5 million payout. This is going to leave a mark.
http://www.macleans.ca/opinion/the-shady-business-of-paying-omar-khadr/

Mark
Ottawa

Meanwhile Maher Arar tweets:

Maher Arar‏ @ArarMaher

Those who oppose the Omar Khadr settlement has more to do with racism than the actual established facts. Futile to argue with them.
https://twitter.com/ArarMaher/status/883148422433394690

Mark
Ottawa

That's the *IA* nowadays though, isn't it?  Throw the racist word out there, as most people will scatter least they also get branded.

Altair said:
I might just stop voting again, seems easier.

I am thinking much the same.  This whole matter is OBSCENE.  The Liberals wait until the House of Commons is on break.  The Prime Minister leaves the "apology" to be done in printed form and announced by two Ministers.  The Prime Minister did not own up to the questions put to him about the payment, when it had actually happened days before.  Then there was the "Blame Harper" comment from the Ministers in their comments.  The actual amount of the payment is not being acknowledged by the Government.  Where is the "transparency"?  Someone even commented that the money went into Khadr's account and was already gone the next day......Unconfirmed rumour that it is, it still was not something that one would want to hear.  "Obscene" is the only word I have for this whole matter.

George Wallace said:
"Obscene" is the only word I have for this whole matter.

"Obscene" is the word I use to describe the politicization of this terrible ordeal (for which multiple governments on both sides of the houses of Parliament, and of the border, are responsible).

"Obscene" is the word I use to describe the divisiveness that this has caused. Canadians should not be divided when governments have failed to observe law. We expect the law to protect, and the government to observe law, when we find ourselves caught in legal quandaries or embroiled in other disputes; I would hope that everyone has the courtesy to expect the same for others.

And when a government (regardless of which species is in power) has failed to so observe, and we've been harmed in someway, we expect to be compensated; I would hope there is, still, the courtesy to expect the same for others. Otherwise, if there is not, we have lost our way.

(N.B.: I'm not suggesting anyone here has self-interested motives or is inconsiderate of others' Charter entitlements; I was primarily lamenting at comments I've read on other platforms).

:boring:  is how I feel about the rights of someone who would take up combat operations against us, then shake us down for millions.

Kat Stevens said:
Obscene is giving an enemy bomb maker anything from our government other than a 7.62mm lobotomy.. I like cake.

I like how, when I started out here, someone here insinuated that I was a troll.

:(

@JollyJackstar.

There is scant proof that Khadr voluntarily left Canada. There is proof, however, that he left Canada because those who had lawful custody over him-—his parents (at least one of whom had ill-faith intentions, no less)—took him out of Canada. How many 15-year-olds voluntarily leave the country in which they are domiciled while knowingly waiving its protections, and do so voluntarily to "take up combat?"

Really?  Really?  Don't pay much attention to history do you?  There have been plenty on all sides of conflicts.  Anyways,  carry on with your Khadr pity party, I won't be joining you in the celebrations.

I'd just to remind everyone, when they are considering why the Liberals of today are doing this...to remember it was the Liberals of yesterday that were in power when this all took place.  Khadr arrived in Quantanomo in late October 2002.  I'll point you to the terms of office info on the link below.

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/politics-government/prime-ministers/pmportrait/Pages/item.aspx?PersonId=20

E. B. Korcz Forrester said:
I like how, when I started out here, someone here insinuated that I was a troll.

:(

@JollyJackstar.

There is scant proof that Khadr voluntarily left Canada. There is proof, however, that he left Canada because those who had lawful custody over him-—his parents (at least one of whom had ill-faith intentions, no less)—took him out of Canada. How many 15-year-olds voluntarily leave the country in which they are domiciled while knowingly waiving its protections, and do so voluntarily to "take up combat?"

I kinda liked that too. Good times.

Look, you can quote all the legalese you like in order to justify this. First of all, ten mil is an outrageous amount, and I would not be shocked to find that nine mil of that is already on its way Bomb Vests R Us. The only reason we're here is because of the compassion of US soldiers when they found him bleeding. A slower helicopter or some better accuracy that day would have saved all of us a pile of grief.  I don't care about the legalities, quite honestly. I care that we are rewarding a badly behaved juvenile delinquent, who made war against us and our allies. How many teenagers have you raised? Ever try to make a 15 year old make a bed, let alone a bomb? He was a willing participant, full stop. The only thing this does is set a precedent.

Back