• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Khadr Thread

Eye In The Sky said:
Not that he needs it, but I'd contribute to a GoFundMe for the airline ticket.  :nod:
Let the buger pay out of his own pocket, why should he get any more of our money?

Wait.. we paid him millions of dollars and now he wants to go to Saudi to visit his "sister" who has been under investigation previously...

Am I the one thinking this is insane? I think if he leaves this country.. he will take his money and not come back....

Why wont his sister come here? Why now? It is not Ramadan or anything that I'm aware of either.

Sorry I'm suspicious
Abdullah

Platitudinarian said:
Not meaning at all to reignite any debate about Omar's detention in Gitmo, or the Harper governments efforts to keep him there indefinitely, but trying to go to to Saudi at this time seems like a bad idea. They just murdered Khasshogi and Canadian and SA relations are not exactly at their best. Such a high profile visitor might attract some very unwanted attention or political reprisal. Don't do it bro.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/omar-khadr-passport-travel-saudi-arabia-sister-1.4940009

Your bro? Really?

Please rethink your line of thought and be cognizant of the thread your posting on. We’re not too terrorist friendly here.

Hamish Seggie said:
Your bro? Really?

Please rethink your line of thought and be cognizant of the thread your posting on. We’re not too terrorist friendly here.

Did mean that sarcastically. Obviously he can use the 105 million dollar settlement to get his ass there. Brought it up just because of the timing, I'm not "terrorist-friendly" FFS.

It would be really weird political conundrum if something were to happen to him there. Like if he and his sister join what's left of Al Qaida, well that would set a really shitty precedent for others seeking reparations for illegal imprisonment for detention in places like Gitmo. And if the Saudi's murder him, what's the GOCs response supposed to be? And if nothing happens and he just comes back, is that really going to be the end of it?

Personally, I want him to have his rights and go. As a thought experiment, how far would the current CanGov go to free him from the Saudis compared to the two unlucky bastards in China. He's their fucking golden boy, let him go.

Cloud Cover said:
He's their fucking golden boy, let him go.
Just to be clear, do you mean the Canadian government or the Saudi's?  I suspect that, like his sister, he faces absolutely no risk in Saudi Arabia.

Both. He’s got 10 million, worth a ransom to someone. It can be arranged I’m sure.

I still find it odd how he managed to get in a nursing program with his record. Not exactly sure how things work in Alberta but my wife is in a nursing program and is required to have a vulnerable persons check done every 6 months.

I find it odd how his big plans were to go into this nursing program and now he is unable to "focus" in it and all of a sudden wants to go visit his sister all after a year or so of receiving his payment. Perhaps his sister has some "investment" opportunities for him.

Teager said:
I still find it odd how he managed to get in a nursing program with his record.
Easy. He's a celebrity.  He could probably arrange a meeting between himself and the PM fairly easily if he wanted to.

Maybe some don’t understand that calling a terrorist “bro” even jokingly is not funny. Khadr was lucky he didn’t catch one in the head the day he murdered a medic.

Hamish Seggie said:
Maybe some don’t understand that calling a terrorist “bro” even jokingly is not funny. Khadr was lucky he didn’t catch one in the head the day he murdered a medic.

Other than a recanted confession under threat of torture and indefinite detention in Gitmo, what actual evidence is there that he threw the grenade? I remain completely unconvinced that he is guilty of that particular act. Sure as hell there's nothing there that would stand in any court in a place that recognizes due process and rule of law...

Brihard said:
Other than a recanted confession under threat of torture and indefinite detention in Gitmo, what actual evidence is there that he threw the grenade? I remain completely unconvinced that he is guilty of that particular act. Sure as hell there's nothing there that would stand in any court in a place that recognizes due process and rule of law...

From a National Post article - May 29, 2015. "Edited" - I'm adding the link - https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/omar-khadr-describes-firefight-that-killed-u-s-soldier-im-just-going-to-throw-this-grenade

"In an interview, Khadr, now 28,  remembers grenades being tossed inside the remote compound of an alleged al-Qaida cell, something exploding beside him and U.S. forces “screaming and shouting.”

“I got scared,” a bearded Khadr, now 28, says in a documentary collaboration by the Toronto Star, CBC and White Pine Pictures.

“I was thinking, ‘What should I do…?’ I didn’t know what to do. So I thought, I’m just going to throw this grenade and maybe just scare them away.”

The evidence is his own words.

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/omar-khadr-purchases-edmonton-strip-mall-for-3-million/

Omar Khadr purchases Edmonton strip mall for $3 million

by Roberto Wakerell-Cruz Mar 12

Amidst the legal battles that surround Canadian former Guantanamo Bay prisoner has decided to purchase a strip mall in Edmonton for $3 million.

According to Sheila Gunn-Reid, documents related to the purchase show "the 9,150 sq. ft. commercial property was purchased with a cash lump sum on Nov. 29, 2018, by a numbered company, 2156536 Alberta Ltd., which lists Khadr as a director. The five-unit strip mall has an assessed value of just over $1.5 million, the documents show, and was last sold 2009 for $850,000." Khadr has refused to make a statement regarding the matter, via his lawyer Nate Whitling.

The story was originally published by media outlet The Rebel Media with comments obtained by The National Post.

<snip>

The reviews on the businesses that are running out of this strip mall have been hit drastically, as many one-star reviews flood in. "Found out that this location pays its rent to Omar Khadr. Please boycott until the owners relocate otherwise you are indirectly paying a terrorist," one person posted about the travel agency.

It should be noted though that the tenants of the building have no choice with regards to who owns their building, and punishment for their business being in this strip mall may seem unwarranted.

<snip>

Maybe he's going to:
- open a sporting goods/gun store.

- Site for 2019 liberal campaign headquarters.

- a hair dressing salon

- specialty travel agency

EtC.

TimneyTime said:
If criminals don't follow the law, how is new legislation going to stop criminals and gangs? 
An often repeated observation which is nothing new to firearm owners and completely ignored by anti-firearm advocates.

I honestly believe that armed men are citizens; unarmed men are subjects.

In Canada unarmed men who travel to war zones with the intent of joining terrorist forces and fighting against the west, including Canada, while committing all kinds of atrocities are still considered Canadian citizens.

Jarnhamar said:
An often repeated observation which is nothing new to firearm owners and completely ignored by anti-firearm advocates.

In Canada unarmed men who travel to war zones with the intent of joining terrorist forces and fighting against the west, including Canada, while committing all kinds of atrocities are still considered Canadian citizens.

The second point:  That's sad but true.  Some of them even get $10 million from the government for reasons.  Shocking that a terrorist can still be labelled a Canadian citizen.  That in itself should revoke Canadian citizenship.

Omar Kadr killed a US Delta Force Sgt. so he could be moved to Canada and avoid US conviction.  He's now appealing the court case against him in the US.  His father was a top commander in Al-Quaeda.  What a deal he got.

TimneyTime said:
Some of them even get $10 million from the government for reasons.

Slight tangent:  The general legal opinions pretty much agree that Khadr would have won his $50M (plus costs) suit against the Government of Canada (GoC) for his rights being violated and that the GoC would've spent far more than $10M defending against his suit.  Optics aside, we got off cheap financially and legally.

Haggis said:
Slight tangent:  The general legal opinions pretty much agree that Khadr would have won his $50M (plus costs) suit against the Government of Canada (GoC) for his rights being violated and that the GoC would've spent far more than $10M defending against his suit.  Optics aside, we got off cheap financially and legally.

There are a whole lot of other ways to piss away 40 million dollars for the sake of national pride and moral justice.

Fishbone Jones said:
... can you strip out the Khadr stuff that doesn't have to do with gun laws please, if you can ...
Done & moved to a more appropriate area.

Army.ca Staff

Back