• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Js

BKells

Inactive
Reaction score
What do the Js mean? Specifically, who/what is J9?

Joint staff

1 is personel
2 is Int
3 is operations
4 is logistics
5 is CIMIC
6 is Comms (IIRC)

9 however, i dont know

J5 is Plans
J9 is CIMIC

On the G side, we are starting to allow G5 Plans to creep in - in the original view of things, plans was a function of G3 (think G3, G33, and G35...or more exactly G3 Ops and G3 Plans.

So J9 = CIMIC. Awesome, thanks a lot. My day just got a lot better.

However, at CEFCOM HQ CIMIC falls under J5... madness!

What if you put a C in front of those Js? what does that mean? CJ1, CJ2, etc?

C = Combined (multinational)
J = Joint (multi-service)
G/A/N etc = Ground, Air, Navy

COBRA-6 said:
However, at CEFCOM HQ CIMIC falls under J5... madness!

Back when i did OPDP-2, 5 was CIMIC....how can one keep up ....lol

BKells said:
What if you put a C in front of those Js? what does that mean? CJ1, CJ2, etc?
if you are talking about CJs then you are talking about Jeeps - plain and simple ;)

for the most part, regional HQs (G/N/A) became JTF HQs.  Most of their G/N/A became "J"s
my shop went from LFQA G1 to LFQA/JTF(East) J1

Some of the Gs were split ... G3 became G3 AND J3

CDN Aviator,

J5 can be either CIMIC or Plans.  CEFCOM J5 is definitely plans. Typically J3 looks at the here and now (ie current ops). J5 develops the plans for operations.  I am not certain, but I think CIMIC may fall under plans at CEFCOM due to manpower constraints.

A few more:

J7 is joint capability/force development
J8 is joint force structure/joint resource and assessment (comptroller and business planner)

Jim

BKells said:
What do the Js mean? Specifically, who/what is J9?
http://army.ca/wiki/index.php/Staff_Organization

geo said:
if you are talking about CJs then you are talking about Jeeps - plain and simple ;)

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=CJTF&meta=

MCG
while there is such a thing as Combined Joint Task Forces (CJTF) I don't believe their Personnel branch would be CJ1.  I believe that they would be a J (Joint - all encompassing) branch.

CJ is the staff designation at ISAF HQ, i.e. CJ1, CJ2, CJ3 etc... CJ9 is CIMIC at that HQ.

COBRA-6 said:
CJ is the staff designation at ISAF HQ, i.e. CJ1, CJ2, CJ3 etc... CJ9 is CIMIC at that HQ.

Because it is a Combined Joint HQ

ok... guess I will be going to bed a little less ignorant today than I was yesterday :)

Back