• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Integrated Soldier System Project (ISSP)

Do you think the ISSP is going to  increase soldier performance by facilitating communications and the sharing of data with low-level command centres?

http://atlantic-council.ca/portfolio/new-horizons-the-future-as-dictated-by-canadian-military-procurement/

I thought it was a poorly written article, full of absolute statements with no references. Though consistent with an undergrad student who lacks experience in the field and similar to your assertion that the CF '...shares data with low level command centres,' which equally lacks doctrinal reference.  :2c: have a great day.

kqm said:
Do you think the ISSP is going to  increase soldier performance by facilitating communications and the sharing of data with low-level command centres?

http://atlantic-council.ca/portfolio/new-horizons-the-future-as-dictated-by-canadian-military-procurement/

Huh?

I read the "article" and said "holy leap of logic, Batman".  The author should substantiate his claims that "The increased focus on the individual soldier as the unit of choice as opposed to larger divisions is indicative of lessons learned fighting an insurgency in Afghanistan", or that "The ISSP implies a directional change in the way counter-insurgency is employed." or that "traditional military structures become too restrictive to allow the freedom of movement necessary to strike frequently against an insurgency".  I won't even pretend to understand what "They are ready to fight in a conflict where the enemy is not designated by location, but rather by action." actually means.

All this really tells me is that the author likely knows little of which he speaks and that the Atlantic Council is in need of some serious editorial/peer review help.

daftandbarmy said:
Does that mean we'll finally get a real baynoet that doesn't break when you look at it  ;D

As long as they stick in Zombies.  ;D

It would be interesting to compare the power and usability of these "future soldier" systems to a smartphone or a Garmin RINO. Smartphones cost @ $600 and you can buy the RINO for about $400, and either system fits inside a pocket. Not to be too facetious, but commercial items like these are probably at the 80% solution mark right now, and have well developed user interfaces that most soldiers are already familiar with. Picture a smartphone like device strapped to the wrist of a soldier and you get the idea.

True there will be extra costs associated with ruggedizing the device and installing crypto capabilities (although that could be piggybacked in the short term by connecting the device to the TCCS radio suite at the commander level, while the devices talk to each other at the section level through a PRR like radio link).

Latest from the PWGSC info-machine:
.... Public Works and Government Services Canada has issued a new Request for Proposals (RFP) to acquire integrated suites of cutting‑edge equipment under the Integrated Soldier System Project. The Government of Canada is launching a new solicitation for the procurement of an integrated soldier system. A draft RFP was issued on February 15, 2013, an industry day was held on March 5, continued engagement took place during the month of March, and now the formal RFP has been issued. It will close on August 1, 2013 …. The Integrated Soldier System Project will provide soldiers with an integrated suite of equipment that includes weapon accessories, electronic devices, sensors, individual equipment and operational clothing. The different elements will be networked and will work seamlessly together, giving soldiers more comprehensive situational awareness, real-time tactical information and an increased ability to synchronize activity.  The RFP is to acquire up to 6,624 integrated suites of cutting-edge equipment under the Integrated Soldier System Project over four years. The RFP includes a requirement for up to 11 years of associated in-service support ….
More in the MERX posting here and the honkin' bid document (+1800 page PDF via Google Docs) here

milnews.ca said:
Latest from the PWGSC info-machine:More in the MERX posting here and the honkin' bid document (+1800 page PDF via Google Docs) here

That's one helluva monsterdoc.  How do you expect to keep up with technology with this beast?  The tech will be outdated by the time you finish reading.  I guess you could aim far ahead and wait til you are on trend before you publish.  All the best to the team that is writing the SOR; you have a daunting task no doubt, and that is without amendments or interfence from PWGSC.

Perhaps at best we can buy a few good gizmos that will be byproducts from the offers that come in.  Getting one company to take charge and pull this off seems unrealistic.  You never know though.  Maybe some company will have to try to live up to their glossy now.

P.S.  Anyone ever wonder why procurement takes so long for Gucci kit?  These docs don't wrote themselves overnight, and unfortunately, they are necessary.

One word:

iPhone

I think it is about time that we in the military realized that comercial R&D dwarfs anything the military puts out, and the market drives technology cycles far faster than anyting *we* can respond to.

While the iPhone itself might not be the best platform, an iPhone or Samsung galaxy in a ruggedized case, feeding into Google Glasses for display purposes and running a suite of apps written by soldiers (there are many soldiers who know how to write apps and would be pleased to do so for the Army under contract) is probably the conceptual model for what would fill most of the ISSP requirements at a fraction of the time or cost (an unlocked smartphone goes for @ $600 and Google Glasses are thought to cost @ $1500/pair).

Taking it a few steps beyond, the electronics in many military vehicles are housed in multiple steel boxes the size of packing crates, and could also be replaced with a pair of ruggedized laptops (for redundancy) acting as the vehicle server or a scattering of iPhone like computer modules at each vehicle crew station. (going a bit further, if there was some sort of Bluetooth like communication protocol initiated inside the vehicle, there would be very little need for vehicle electronics, as it could feed off the ISSP computer devices in each soldier's uniform.) This could free up internal volume and reduce weight in may vehicles.

Open the box nd let some light inside....

Ummm?  Have you looked inside one of those boxes?  I am sure that once you ruggedized you iPhone to the necessary standards, along with your laptops, the boxes would likely come out to be the same, or very close to the same, size. 

Oh, you must mean like the IRIS NAU, which requires a flash as soon as you look at it and third line maint if you breathe on it wrong.

I have a little pelican case for my iphone that has never failed to withstand any abuse that I've thrown at it.  The iphone + case combo is cheaper than any purpose-built military equivalent.  In other words, we can afford to have spares.  Thucydides is spot on the money on this one: we can't afford our own military R&D.

Willy said:
Thucydides is spot on the money on this one: we can't afford our own military R&D.

Amen. Add to that the convoluted procurement process, and we're hooped.

From my time at ADM(Mat) (lower lever Land System support) this is how we tended to see the process (as far as comms equipment).

-Army sees a requirement for a specific piece of equipment.

- This piece must be able to perform A, B, C, D and E.

-Tender is put out for equipment

-Companies return with proposals

- Company 1 has a piece of equipment that can do A,B,C,D and E and costs  $ X.00

- Company 2 has a piece of equipment that can do A,B and C (Not D & E), but can do F & G (not required actions) and costs $ X.00 - 20%

-Company 2 gets the contract

-There is now a requirement for a piece of equipment that can perform D&E and can be integrated into piece of equipment purchased above

Process repeats.

I know that this is very simplified, and I didn't see the entire process. We were just the guys that pushed up what we saw was required, had to integrate what we got, and let them know what we needed to fill the gaps. And this was how we saw the process.

Innovation Canada: A Call to Action

I wonder how this report landed?

Innovation Canada: Special Report on Procurement

A Potential Set of Procurement Initiatives

The creation of new initiatives that seek to make better use of procurement to stimulate innovation would signal that the federal government is aware of the potential opportunities to promote business innovation using this tool. There are also a number of possible complementary policy directions and potential improvements to the recent initiatives still in start-up mode (PWGSC's CICP, DND's Project ACCORD, and Industry Canada's revised IRB policy) that could be put in place. These initiatives fall under three areas: general procurement, strategic civilian initiatives and defence procurement.

http://rd-review.ca/eic/site/033.nsf/eng/00323.html

ivGiZmk.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/CanadianForces/photos/a.1524483394445524.1073741830.1522633664630497/2357615871132268/?type=3&theater

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/business-equipment/integrated-soldier-system-project.page

Loch Sloy! said:
Those wires are going to get caught on EVERYTHING.

... which will make them 'wireless' after the first three 'actions on coming under effective enemy fire....' ;)

For a Reg F Army of 3 CMBGs, with about 4500 each, plus about 12000 trained Reservists in CBGs, total just over 25000 personnel... we're buying 4000.

"Train as you fight" is clearly an aspirational thing.

From the CAF Facebook video, intent is Section Commanders to the Platoon Commanders. That significantly reduces the number of systems required.

As for cable management, I'm sure you'd be able to spend 5 minutes and route the cables properly with some zap straps so they're not sagging.

FOC in 2023? Meanwhile in the USA, ATAK on commercial hardware, type 1 radios, GoTenna, MANET radios, whatever you want: https://youtu.be/tojMXYMVdyw

signalsguy said:
FOC in 2023? Meanwhile in the USA, ATAK on commercial hardware, type 1 radios, GoTenna, MANET radios, whatever you want: https://yo

utu.be/tojMXYMVdyw

I'm just looking forward to the day when we don't have to rely on our phones to maintain comms on exercises....

Back