• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Inevitable Debate on Half Masting

I do not think that the flag on the Peace Tower should be half-masted each time a Canadian Soldier is killed overseas.  IMHO, it opens a huge can of worms about the relative worth of each death within the CF.  If we half-mast for a combat casualty, do we also half-mast for traffic deaths in theatre?  How about for the death of soldier killed in training for an overseas mission?  What if the death occurs while on HLTA? Or if a SAR tech is killed in the line of duty in Canada? How about a sailor falling overboard while serving on a HMC Ship in the Gulf?  It gets weird quickly, if you ask me.

We have Remembrance Day. It is better than good enough for me.

I remember one year at the U of Calgary the flag was half-masted probably half the time. I don't know what the criteria were, but I believe a death in the student body (comparable in size with CF's Reg Force) resulted in the flag being at half-staff. I found that pretty lame, because  :cdn: is supposed to go on top. That's why there's a flagpole there in the first place.

The problem is that I think the government should still have the ability to decide when to half-mast the flag, and not be stuck with just 'Death of monarch/GG, death of PM, Nov 11'.

If some unspeakable tragedy happens at home or abroad, the Canadian government shouldn't have to wait for a session of parliament, or senate approval, or some ridiculous thing in order to express the condolences of Canadians. I think it should be entirely within the discretionary powers of the PMO, or GG, or somebody who can act like a grown-up and be responsible with it (maybe not GG, or PMO then...)...

Okay, Okay, I'll do it. ;D
But I better get a pension out of it.

For the Opposition, it has less to do with honouring soldiers, and all to do with trying to make the CPC look like unfeeling louts. I hate it when they use soldiers for political points. I also agree more with the CPC point of view, than I do with any of the others.

We have Nov 11. That's what it's for, we don't need to see it at any other time.

let's just imagine what things would have been like if we had half masted our Flag for every death during WW2.
The country would have been in mourning from 1939 through to 1945.  Does that make sense?  NO!

The country was at war and the country is at war.  We should be steadfast in our resolve and the Flag should fly from the highest flagpole - for all to see.

CTV has a poll on its website regarding this issue. With more than 10,000 votes cast so far, 58% say the flag should be lowered each time a soldier is killed.

View poll

???

I find it kind of funny. In the article on CTV's website (and in this discussion), it's clear members of the CF do not want the flag lowered... so why is it even a discussion?

It s always a question of context. 
Prior to asking the question , CTV had an obligation of providing context.  Without context, this survey is 100% useless and means nothing.

Putz!

The motion has passed in the House of Commons.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080401/flag_peacetower_080402/20080402?hub=TopStories

Wow! Did you happen to read some of the comments posted at the end of the article?  :-X

jollyjacktar said:
The motion has passed in the House of Commons.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080401/flag_peacetower_080402/20080402?hub=TopStories
The motion was non-binding and most likely won't be put into effect.

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
The motion was non-binding and most likely won't be put into effect.

Yup. CPC already said they were going to ignore it.

Back