• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The importance of roots in the community, and the army

bossi

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
(From The Telegraph)

Regiments return to regional roots for families‘ sake
By Michael Smith, Defence Correspondent

County links strong despite march of change

THE Army is to move its infantry regiments back to their traditional recruitment areas in an attempt to stop soldiers leaving because they never see their families.

Geoff Hoon, the Defence Secretary, told The Telegraph he believed that this would give the families of married soldiers in particular more stability allowing them to put down roots and live a normal life.

Mr Hoon said: "It will be good for people in the Army that they are able to go back to family and friends in the areas from which they were recruited At the same time there is a great civic pride across the country in the Armed Forces and I want to build on the regional connections between the Army and the various parts of the country."

The number of serving regular soldiers is now smaller than at any time since the creation of the modern Army by the Duke of Marlborough in the 17th century. Manning levels are set at 108,000 but there are only 100,000 serving soldiers and Gen Sir Charles Guthrie, the Chief of Defence Staff, has said it will take up to five years to make up the shortfall.

The infantry in particular is suffering from acute overstretch due to the increasing numbers of tours spent abroad. Exercises in Canada or Poland are followed by tours of duty to the Balkans or Northern Ireland and many soldiers leave because they never see their families.

Mr Hoon said. "What we have been asking of them as they have been rotated around the world has been very disruptive to family life. There are very considerable consequences for the family in terms of jobs, medical services, schools, and I think a lot of the pressure has understandably come from home."

Many spouses now had jobs and were reluctant to give them up, Mr Hoon said. The difficulty of ensuring children were educated in a stable environment was also critical. "There is a strong recognition in the Army that the lack of stability is one of the reasons why they are losing people sooner than they would want to."

Moving the infantry regiments back to their traditional recruiting areas would allow soldiers to buy a house and settle down. Although they would still have to go wherever their regiment went their families would have a stable life and the local community would be able to have pride in its own regiment.

Under Mr Hoon‘s plans, the Royal Anglians, currently based in Gwent, would move back to Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk; the Highlanders, now at Catterick, would return to Inverness; and the Green Howards, who originate from Yorkshire would move from Warminster, Wilts, to Richmond, N Yorks.
- 30 -

But will they de-amalgamate all the regiments they‘ve butchered over the years?

(What kind of dumb name is THE HIGHLANDERS????) Like they‘re the only ones in the world!

I couldn‘t agree with you more (re: "The Highlanders" - my grandfather was a Gordon Highlander, fought in the Boer War - however, it became a classic example of the "squeaky wheel getting the grease" when they launched the "Keep Our Scottish Battalions" campaign ... hmmm ... initials were KOSB ... hmmm ... the Kings Own Scottish Borderers were not amalgamated ... hmmm ...)

I‘m afraid we‘re witnessing the same thing here in Canada, with the designation of "minor units" - next step, composite battalions (i.e. Toronto Battalion) ...

Personally, I note the irony of how it‘s always the same solution in Canada - cut back the reserves - whereas other countries faced with defence cutbacks shift from full-time to part-time, and INCREASE their reserves ... but I guess that‘s the problem when the people calling the shots are all full-timers, and they simply go through the motions of consultation ... (it‘s a tactic otherwise called "The Big Lie").

Dileas Gu Brath
M.A. Bossi, Esquire

Back