• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Green Fields of France and other things

Red 6

Inactive
Reaction score
I was reading a post yesterday (can't remember where it was) and somebody posted the lyrics to "The Green Fields of France." I went to Itunes and bought a copy of this song. I just listened to it with my 13 year old son, and we were both crying. What a beautiful song. As an American, I just want to say thank you to each of you who serve for freedom.

Down here, we are so insulated from the rest of the world. I think most Americans don't even know the Canadian Forces are in the main force battle in Afghanistan. But my family and I never forget.

A couple of weeks ago, I read a book called "102 Minutes." It's the story of the fight for survival in the World Trade Center on September 11th, 2001. It really brought things into sharp focus and I would encourage anyone who wonders why we're in Afghanistan to read this book.

Anyway, I have to run here. My kid is sentimental like me, but he's hungry. Once again, I just want to say I respect and honor your service.

Mark

The Green Fields of France was written by Eric Bogle.......an Scot "transported" to Austrailia...

You should also try to get ahold of his tune " The DIgger's Lament".....an excellent tune

Did you think that we'd forget ya mate? With the slow march of the years?
that as time passed,  we'd wipe the slate of your sorrow and your tears?
Did you think we'd scorn your sacrifce; find no honour in the debt"
That your lives paid our freedoms' price. How then could we forget?

Just wanted to point out that Eric Bogle also wrote "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda".

Yeah, its a very powerful song. First one I heard was actually the Dropkick Murphy's cover, and I went and got a copy by the original as well, just a wonderful song. Another really good song with a theme of remembrance is The 8th Of November - Big Rich, a great country song about a battle in Vietnam, and a man who was there.

I'm not sure why, but songs like these, just hit me harder than just listening to someone talk about it. Just seem to bring it home that much more.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/51978/post-467089.html#msg467089

As I said in that thread, My buddy and I made a pact when we went overseas that if either of us was called to the mess above, the other would insist on playing this tune at our funeral.

I almost had to be the one listneing to the march on my back....

dileas

tess

Thanks for all the good info. One of my favorite bands is Carbon Leaf. They just came out with a new CD called Love, Loss, Hope, Repeat. For me, the best song on this CD is "The War Was in Color." The words alone don't do justice to this song, but it's on Itunes. Here are the lyrics:

I see you've found a box of my things -
Infantries, tanks and smoldering airplane wings.
These old pictures are cool. Tell me some stories
Was it like the old war movies?
Sit down son. Let me fill you in

Where to begin? Let's start with the end
This black and white photo don't capture the skin
From the flash of a gun to a soldier who's done
Trust me grandson
The war was in color

From shipyard to sea, From factory to sky
From rivet to rifle, from boot camp to battle cry
I wore the mask up high on a daylight run
That held my face in its clammy hand
Crawled over coconut logs and corpses in the coral sand

Where to begin? Let¹s start with the end
From the shock of a shell or the memory of smell
If red is for Hell
The war was in color

I held the canvas bag over the railing
The dead released, with the ship still sailing,
Out of our hands and into the swallowing sea
I felt the crossfire stitching up soldiers
Into a blanket of dead, and as the night grows colder
In a window back home, a Blue Star is traded for Gold.

Where to begin? Let's start with the end
When metal is churned. And bodies are burned
Victory earned
The War was in color

Now I lay in my grave at age 21
Long before you were born
Before I bore a son
What good did it do?
Well hopefully for you
A world without war
A life full of color