• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Toque and Glove Conundrum, Solved

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Fuck that noise.  Wear the Yukon cap!

With CADPAT.

When you're a sailor.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadianForces/comments/7xwhb2/i_want_to_wear_the_yukon_hat_too/

dapaterson said:
With CADPAT.

When you're a sailor.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadianForces/comments/7xwhb2/i_want_to_wear_the_yukon_hat_too/

He needs a hammer and sickle.......

Hamish Seggie said:
He needs a hammer and sickle.......

injWMGjG_400x400.jpg

Hamish Seggie said:
As an aside are you now allowed to wear fleece toques in garrison or must you still sport “toque, OD itchy scratchy “? 😉

My toque is black.  It's always fashionable - for operational dress.  Wearing it in service dress is an abomination!

Pusser said:
My toque is black.  It's always fashionable - for operational dress.  Wearing it in service dress is an abomination!

Fashionable, smashionable. If it's -25 degree with the winds blowing in Halifax, I'm not wearing my peak-cap with my 3Cs, I'm wearing my touque.

Also, the chart, for which this thread is name, does not actually solve the GLOVE portion of this great conundrum.

The argument still remains that you cannot wear gloves with NCDs unless you are wearing an overcoat. I would argue that you can wear gloves with your NCD jacket alone (and many would disagree, but that's how I read the dress regs, unless they've been updated since I last had this argument).

I wear a hat if my head is cold.  I wear gloves if my hands are cold.  I wear a hat and gloves if my hands and head are cold.  Sometimes I wear my wedge and gloves.  I feel, at age 48, I am capable of making basic decisions like this without guidance... :whistle:

Eye In The Sky said:
I wear a hat if my head is cold.  I wear gloves if my hands are cold.  I wear a hat and gloves if my hands and head are cold.  Sometimes I wear my wedge and gloves.  I feel, at age 48, I am capable of making basic decisions like this without guidance... :whistle:

Exactly! When you have your NCD jacket on, you have 3 layers on (T-shirt, NCD Shirt, NCD Jacket), but apparently it has to be cold enough to warrant putting on an overcoat before you're justified in saying "hey, my body is warm, but I'd like something on my hands and ears, please".

I've yet to see this "toque and glove" stuff in anything above an attachment from a high ranking NCM;  I'm aware that NCMs advise and enforce dress policy, but the Commander (CO, Wing Commander, etc) is the actual authority who must sign off on dress policy (Chap 1 of 265 details it all out).  Unless I see it in 265, Wing Dress Instructions, etc...I'll continue to exercise my decision-making ability.  8)

Brihard said:
It pleased a lot of people.

But he did nothing wrong. There was no dress reg not being enforced. That was his appropriate headdress as a member of a regiment which wore that as their garrison headdress for NCOs. Does it look weird as hell? Yes. Was it silly? Yes. But it was 100% legit. The fact that nobody in times past foresaw toons leaning out the side door of helicopters, and consequently never wrote dress regs to prevent the Glengarry/flight suit fiasco was not his problem.

It's too bad he didn't wear it while flying. There would have been something majestic about those two black tassels flapping in the wind from behind a side mounted minigun...

Even better wearing his kilt while manning the doorgun, but only in summer....

Brihard said:
It pleased a lot of people.

But he did nothing wrong. There was no dress reg not being enforced. That was his appropriate headdress as a member of a regiment which wore that as their garrison headdress for NCOs. Does it look weird as hell? Yes. Was it silly? Yes. But it was 100% legit. The fact that nobody in times past foresaw toons leaning out the side door of helicopters, and consequently never wrote dress regs to prevent the Glengarry/flight suit fiasco was not his problem.

It's too bad he didn't wear it while flying. There would have been something majestic about those two black tassels flapping in the wind from behind a side mounted minigun...

Even better wearing his kilt while manning the doorgun, but only in summer....

Eye In The Sky said:

Yeah, but you're a badass war fightin flyboy with a go to hell attitude and a jaunty tilt to your hat. I bet you have a Col Hogan jacket, 50 mission cap, and white silk scarf stashed somewhere on your war bird, amIright?

Kat Stevens said:
Yeah, but you're a badass war fightin flyboy with a go to hell attitude and a jaunty tilt to your hat. I bet you have a Col Hogan jacket, 50 mission cap, and white silk scarf stashed somewhere on your war bird, amIright?

I wish we had the option to buy those jackets instead of the current leather one.  I'd get one. 

Even better if they were issued like in some other militaries!

Kat Stevens said:

Hmmm.  Nope.

Wait...we have warbirds? 

* edit - I might have an attitude...but not from being a badass flyboy (I don't think the RCAF allows those types of people these days...they're too aggressive!  We want people focused on diversity and inclusion, not focused on silly things like operationally effective and/or capable!)  .  I'm getting old, I have to use glasses to see my phone and TV remotes...so I think I'm just getting cranky with age.  :nod:

Back