• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read this on another forum I visit. Struck me kinda funny...

I heard a news story this morning, in Canada, a guy was on probation, and part of his probation was he couldn't possess ammunition---go figure?  Anyway, the cops stopped him and found crack and marijuana in his car.  When they searched him at the station, he had bullets hidden in his anal cavity.  they didn't say how many or what caliber, but that's just crazy.  You would be in a bind if you needed to shoot someone fast---drop drawers, excrete bullets, wipe them off, load gun and shoot.  Of course, I wouldn't want to get shot with a fresh-out-of-the-ass-bullet.  They would be kinda like punji sticks?  People never cease to amaze me.

muskrat89 said:
Just read this on another forum I visit. Struck me kinda funny...

Scenario 1:

- He would get a large calibre pistol cartridge with a round-nosed, full metal cased bullet. Using a kinetic bullet puller, remove the projectile (bullet), dispose of the propellant, remove the primer, replace with a fired/dummy primer, 'load' cartridge case to capacity with illegal drugs, replace projectile and Voila! Get nailed for ammo posssession rather than drug possession.

:D

And so we find ourselves on the slippery slope.  I received the following letter today from the Sûreté du Québec.  Let me begin by saying that I am perfectly capable of complying with this (seemingly) innocuous request as I am a member of a range and I can certainly photocopy my card and mail it in, but I have a few issues with this request.  I will elaborate below.

[Dear potential psychopathic mass-murderer / hamster abuser.]  (Not really, it had my name/address group)

Following the events that took place at Dawson College in September of 2006, the public authorities began to take steps, designed in retrospect of these developments, to protect the safety of the residents of Quebec. [sic]  New initiatives have been put into place to help prevent these acts of violence which have created suffering and concern that has affected all of us.  Under these circumstances, following the announcement of the Minister of Public Safety, on June 15, 2007 this letter is being sent to bring your attention concerns about the purpose of restricted firearm(s) and/or prohibited handgun(s) within the framework of the Firearms Act.

According to information contained in our database, you own restricted firearm(s) and/or prohibited handgun(s), for which no purpose for possession was recorded.  As such, we would like to remind you that as stated in the Firearms Act, the possession of a restricted firearm or prohibited handgun must be related to one of the following four purposes:
-For use in target practice;
-To form part of a gun collection of the individual;
-To protect the life of an individual;
-For use in connection with a lawful profession or occupation.

Consequently, you must choose one of the four options mentioned above and send us your choice by using the reply form attached to this letter.  It should be mentioned that any selection you make must comply with the Firearms Act.  As a result:
-if you wish to indicate the purpose of “target practice”, you must prove that you are a member of
a shooting club, by sending to us a copy of your membership card along with the attached reply
form.
-should you indicate you are a collector of firearms, to validate this purpose an examination of
your knowledge as a collector is required by the Chief firearms officer. [sic]

If you wish to indicate “protection of life” as a purpose or use in connection with a “lawful profession or occupation”, you must contact the Chief Firearms Officer at the phone number provided at the bottom of this letter.  These purposes are accepted only in specific circumstances.

The attached reply form must be completed and returned to us within the next 30 days.  Please take note that if no legal purpose is provided, following the expiration of the 30 days [sic] period, we will inform the Registrar of Firearms that you do not have a valid purpose for the possession of your restricted firearm(s) and/or prohibited handgun(s) as required by the Firearms Act.

If you no longer want to maintain possession of your restricted firearm(s) and/or prohibited handgun(s), you may transfer it (them) lawfully, by giving or selling them to any person who has the right to acquire it (them), or by engaging to neutralize it (them) at any authorized retailer.  Similarly, your firearms can be turned over to a peace officer for their destruction.

If you need any additional information, please contact us by phone at 1-866-740-4846 or by fax at 514-598-4197.  We appreciate your cooperation with this initiative.

Sincerely,

<signature>

Yves Massé
Chief Firearms Officer for Québec

Now, first of all as stated above, I am, today, a member of a club, but I wasn’t four months ago.  The last several years, I have not been able to justify budgeting the $450+ it costs for a membership these days.  Things have improved and now I can, (even so, I’m cashing in pop bottles for ammo money,) but I can’t help wondering what would have happened if this letter had been sent out six months ago.  Would I then be facing confiscation due to choosing to take care of my family’s needs versus range time?

Second, when I, and probably all of you, bought your restricted firearms, I was required to enter a reason right there on the registration form.  Then I had to submit this form to the Service du Contrôle des armes à feu, the very people who are sending me this letter and form.  Am I now responsible for their shoddy record keeping practices?  Notwithstanding the fact that when I joined the club, I had to send a form to, you guessed it: the Service du Contrôle des armes à feu.

Third, if a person indicates that they are a collector, as noted above in the letter, they will face “an examination of [their] knowledge as a collector”.  Who examines them?  What are their credentials?  What if the “examiner” doesn’t know the difference between a Colt 1911A1 and a Remington-Rand 1911A1?  Doesn’t believe that a dishwasher company made BHP’s?

Fourth, to what “announcement of the Minister of Public Safety” are they referring?  Are there other “announcements” not widely known of which we need to be aware?

Sign me:  “They’ll take my guns when they can pry them out of my totally confused, law-abiding, peaceful, bureaucratically-challenged hands.”

Thanks for that info Foxhound

Please contact the www.nfa.ca with your story, as they will no doubt be interested.

Kind of scary actually, are they wacthing for the annual ATC requests, then contacting those not listed as members?

Let your membership slide for a year, and the man comes looking for your stuff.

Stay Safe

THE BEST PUT DOWN LINE EVER
For those that don't know him, Major General Peter Cosgrove is an "Australian treasure!"

General Cosgrove was interviewed on the radio recently ( Do not know the date)
You'll love his reply to the lady who interviewed him concerning guns and children. Regardless of how you feel about gun laws you gotta love this! This is one of the best comeback lines of all time. It is a portion of an ABC interview between a female broadcaster and General Cosgrove who was about to sponsor a Boy Scout Troop visiting his military headquarters.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
So, General Cosgrove, what things are you going to teach these young boys when they visit your base?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
We're going to teach them climbing, canoeing, archery and shooting.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
Shooting! That's a bit irresponsible, isn't it?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
I don't see why, they'll be properly supervised on the rifle range.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
Don't you admit that this is a terribly dangerous activity to be teaching children?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
I don't see how. We will be teaching them proper rifle discipline before they even touch a firearm.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
But you're equipping them to become violent killers.

GENERAL COSGROVE:
Well, Ma'am, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you?

The radio went silent and the interview ended.

Rifleman62 said:
THE BEST PUT DOWN LINE EVER
For those that don't know him, Major General Peter Cosgrove is an "Australian treasure!"

He's real, the interview isn't: http://www.snopes.com/military/reinwald.asp

Sounded good. Thanks for the link. Just goes to show me that there are a lot of intelligent personnel here.

We need to keep people frightened so lets report more phantom threats. BTW, if you stop and think for a few moments, the weapon described is so impractical as to be useless. If you want to use a shotgun, a sawed off twelve gage is easy enough to get a hold of, and a M-1911 .45 is far more effective and concealable.

http://hallsofmacadamia.blogspot.com/2008/03/stand-by-for-breaking-news.html

Stand by for breaking news...

On fairies stealing babies and replacing them with changelings...

I mean, lemme see if I understand... what Don Peat of the Toronto Sun is saying here...

"A shotgun-shell firing revolver called The Judge "COULD BE" the next big, bad thing in Toronto's gangland arsenal."

Good lord, that sounds horrific... should we all be heading to our basement bomb shelters?

Well, apparently... not just yet.

"Canadian cops say they know about the gun but "THEY HAVEN'T SEEN IT" on the streets yet."

Damn... I bet Wendy Cukier was getting all hot and bothered.

Hey, Don... what about a five part series... on non-existent grenades, lasers, or hey... photon torpedoes?

'Cos we sure don't wanna let the facts get in the way of a good story, huh?

http://www.torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2008/03/14/pf-5000931.html

Gangsters' delight
New revolver fires shotgun shells, Colt slugs
By DON PEAT, SUN MEDIA

The Judge holds five .45-calibre Colt slugs or .410 shotgun shells, and retails for $500 in the U.S.

A shotgun-shell firing revolver called The Judge could be the next big, bad thing in Toronto's gangland arsenal.

Canadian cops say they know about the gun but they haven't seen it on the streets yet.

"Any firearm in the city of Toronto is a bad firearm," Staff-Insp. Brian Raybould said yesterday. "But anything big and new that would appeal to those individuals in Toronto who want to show their big guns, is something police would be concerned about and vigilant watching out for."

The city's homicide unit commander said he's heard of it in police briefings about firearms. Manufactured by Taurus, the revolver holds five .45-calibre Colt slugs or .410 shotgun shells and retails for just over $500 in the U.S.

All the models are available with either 16-cm or seven-cm barrels.

"Taurus Judge is the must-have, long-term answer for short-range problems," touts a company press release. "Appropriately called the 'Taurus Judge' because of the number of judges who carry the new Taurus model .45/.410 into the courtroom, this powerful revolver is the final word in close quarters combat."

A video on the company's web site shows a man firing the gun from the driver's seat of an SUV at a target in his passenger window, blasting two wide holes in the cardboard. The Judge's rifling spreads the shot pattern at close quarters or guides a .45-calibre bullet to the target.

Taurus stresses the revolver is for personal defence or pest control.

But John Thomson, president of Mackenzie Institute, a Toronto-based security think-thank, said the weapon is the new "prestige gun" that every Toronto thug wants to carry on the streets.

And given the love of many punks for the biggest, baddest and potentially deadliest handguns for show and for use, the shiny new multi-shot cannon poses a special threat.

Because The Judge is a revolver, U.S. law enforcement sources said it's not something they would typically see in violent crime recoveries.

Revolvers haven't been the gun of choice for drug dealers and gangs in the past, they said. Canadian police weren't keen on drawing attention to the weapon. The gun and gang task force said they have seen videos for the gun online but haven't seen one on the streets of Toronto.

When asked if they were concerned about a concealable shotgun shell-shooting revolver being on the market, the task force said they are "concerned about any gun," stressing any bad guy with a weapon is a problem.

Det.-Sgt. Dave Godfrey, of the Gun and Gang Task Force, said .410-gauge "is the smallest shotgun gauge."

If someone got The Judge into Canada, it would be "a restricted weapon, just like any other handgun," Godfrey said. "But whether it would be a restricted weapon or a prohibited weapon depends on the barrel length.

"I haven't seen any here," he said. "It's too new.

"We certainly don't like to see them with this type of fire power, that's for sure," said Det. Steve Horwood of the Provincial Weapons Enforcement Unit.

Horwood said he hadn't come across The Judge yet either. The closest thing the unit has seen would be a hand-held double-barrel weapon police seized a few years ago.

"This was almost like a mini-double barrelled shotgun ... with a top break."

Most criminals aren't choosy when it comes to guns -- using the ones that are available, police said.

"If they get to pick, my guess would be that they would be picking semi-automatic type pistols," Horwood said. "But we still get revolvers, we still get sawed-off shotguns, we still get sawed-off rifles."

In Project Rebel last June, police cracked a gun smuggling ring that traded drugs for guns including eight Cobray M-11 machine pistols that were never found in the bust.

- with files from Ian Robertson

Big scary gun, let's put a pic of it on the front page. Maybe there hasn't been enough innocent people gunned down lately to keep the public interested.

The "judge" is chambered in .45 Long Colt ( and .410 )  just like Great Grandad's old horse pistol. Mind you, it throws very big chunks of lead down range, and no doubt would leave a nasty mark.

Certainly not comparable to the venerable .44 mag, or any of the newer S & W magnums....460, .480, and .500!

Handy for Pidgeons and Rabbits too!

TCBF said:
- Anyone BOUGHT 410 ammunition lately?  Pricey.

Or .45 Long Colt? Even worse.

Me thinks that the rarety and cost of the ammo would be a big enough detractor.

Inch said:
Or .45 Long Colt? Even worse.

Me thinks that the rarety and cost of the ammo would be a big enough detractor.

At such time as some drug dealing ass hat spends $5000 per rim on his blinged out Donk, I don't see ammo expense as being a big detractor.  Wasting money is part of the requirement to be a thug. 
Doubtless, if these things show up they will be triple chromed with diamond grips. 
And the dumb clods will still be useless shots.

I am praying that they will remain useless shots, and never figure out that range time is required to e anything but useless with a firearm..

zipperhead_cop said:
At such time as some drug dealing ass hat spends $5000 per rim on his blinged out Donk, I don't see ammo expense as being a big detractor.  Wasting money is part of the requirement to be a thug. 
Doubtless, if these things show up they will be triple chromed with diamond grips. 
And the dumb clods will still be useless shots.

Can't say +1 so....Hell yeah! The difference between those kind of people and the rest of society (military in particular) is that they think you can buy respect. Everyone else has to earn it.

Hopefully, putting that big pic on the front of the paper will actually make these tools go out and but themselves a "Judge". Then they can leave the effective firepower at home. I'd rather see them hauling around those big chunks than anything with a high cap mag and JHP's in it. 

Five rounds Boys, make em count, cause learning the re-load on those will be a b*tch......

Maybe they'll finally start hitting and killing the other thug they are shooting at, instead of some kid 20 feet to their left, inside an apartment. The sideways gangsta grip will still work fine, probably better. And we won't have 115 grain, 9mm slugs travelling two blocks of a crowded neighborhood before hitting a kid on a swing.

Should we surround all kids parks with Concrete barriers?

Or set up large concrete barriers in Gangsta areas to contain stray rounds?

I was thinking of a large circle that could prevent resupply.
(At least it would give some of the younger misguides something else to spray paint.)

We could go to a state of Martial law.
How would the anti-gunners like all their freedoms "controlled" as they would have for the rest of us ?

(And now for something silly intended for mulling over and chucking at later when your time is being wasted in line or traffic)

I'm up for supporting the "registering" of any vehicles that can travel over city speed limits and especially if you want to leave the city.
Wouldn't it be fun for Torontonians to have to get special permission to leave city limits? They'd have to have they destination confirm that they are actually going there, and don't forget to apply at least one month ahead so you might be able to go on you little ski weekend.
We could call it an Authorization to Travel card, but only to destination specified and it expires frequently.
Army.ca'ers would automatically qualify for an ATGWTFIW* retinal scan, just give the check points your best Clint or Chuck stare and you won't even need to slow down.  Just a simple IR patch on your vehicle that looks like "+1" so the check point knows to get the scanner ready. No worries if you think someone will steal your eyes to escape, they aren't properly trained in the art of Chuck or Clint stare.

*Authorization to go where the funk I Want....as if you needed that explained.

All that to figure out to incorporate a +1 just to see if Big Sister is watching ;D

Old Ranger said:
Should we surround all kids parks with Concrete barriers?

Or set up large concrete barriers in Gangsta areas to contain stray rounds?

I was thinking of a large circle that could prevent resupply.
(At least it would give some of the younger misguides something else to spray paint.)

We could go to a state of Martial law.
How would the anti-gunners like all their freedoms "controlled" as they would have for the rest of us ?

(And now for something silly intended for mulling over and chucking at later when your time is being wasted in line or traffic)

I'm up for supporting the "registering" of any vehicles that can travel over city speed limits and especially if you want to leave the city.
Wouldn't it be fun for Torontonians to have to get special permission to leave city limits? They'd have to have they destination confirm that they are actually going there, and don't forget to apply at least one month ahead so you might be able to go on you little ski weekend.
We could call it an Authorization to Travel card, but only to destination specified and it expires frequently.
Army.ca'ers would automatically qualify for an ATGWTFIW* retinal scan, just give the check points your best Clint or Chuck stare and you won't even need to slow down.  Just a simple IR patch on your vehicle that looks like "+1" so the check point knows to get the scanner ready. No worries if you think someone will steal your eyes to escape, they aren't properly trained in the art of Chuck or Clint stare.

*Authorization to go where the funk I Want....as if you needed that explained.

All that to figure out to incorporate a +1 just to see if Big Sister is watching ;D

I was simply advocating the use because these miscreants seem incapable of pulling the trigger without missing the intended target and hitting someone innocent. I said nothing about providing a Nanny state of affairs.

Old Ranger said:

You forgot to ban vehicles with too great a fuel cell, vehicles that have too small an engine, and vehicles that look too sporty.

Old Ranger said:
... like "+1" so ...

... just to see if Big Sister is watching ;D

Uhmmm, no she isn't, but the nanny is (I'm getting old).  ;)

How did you manage to miss recceguy's sarcasm in his post -- even I picked it up that time!!??  ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back