• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
OLD F of S said:
    I have just finished reading tthe ctv news report about the conservatives have appointed 3 members toget rid of the gun registry. My question is how much opposition will come from the law enforcement  community.

Regards OLD F of S

You could probably expect to see police chiefs (and wannabe chiefs) squawking about this big time. Most of them are basically politicians in uniform who have staked their careers on the gun registry and its continuance. Not only that, they have budgets to defend because considerable money has come from all levels of government to keep the registry going - and to take cops off the street to run it and process paperwork.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that privately, many of them know just what a Quixotic pursuit a gun registry is as a tool to prevent crime. Or deal with it after the fact.

considerable money has come from all levels of government to keep the registry going - and to take cops off the street to run it and process paperwork.

Please explain what the police have to do with the running of the gun registry?

I sure hope they get rid off it. biggest waste of money ever and has acomplished nothing besides give hunters and sportsmen headaches.

Day, Toews and Breitkreutz have long been vocal opponents of the registry.

The registry is now circling in the vortex of the toilet bowl.

:cheers:

The registry of most long guns may cease, but we will still have the lisencing regime as well as registration for handguns and full autos.  So, basically back to:

1.  1934 for handguns and full autos; and

2.  1978 for FACs, now PALs.

The real task will be the elimination of the 'grandfathering' of prohibs, so that properly licensed individuals can graduate from a Restricted PAL to a Prohibited one, and so various classes of prohibited PAL can migrate from class to class - essentialy, multi-class.  Such as from Class 12(5) OIC#13 to 12(6) etc.

A few decades ago, the NFA predicted this mess, and pushed for a "Pilot's License" type of graduated firearm license, with NO registration.  The idea being a military one: you hold at the defile, and the defile is the HUMAN, not the GUN.

Too bad Ottawa was deaf, we could have saved billions of dollars and a few hundred lives.

Tom

They need to put the positive spin to this, i.e. "We are freeing the billion dollars tied up in the Gun Registry and applying it to hiring X new RCMP officers and the cast of CSI to improve policing at the community level", otherwise you will only hear the screeching of the people who have somehow convinced themselves (against all evidence) that the problem doesn't lie with people, just with guns.....

Time to dust off my GPS and that map of my Mum's back yard, I hope.... ;D

Kat,
I'm sure you won't be the only one that now takes a "serious interest" in metal detecting......

Yup, my Dad burried some treasure out in the North 40 before he passed away.....

Loose lips sink ships old friends, and one would be advised to add to one's collection AFTER any loosening of the vice by purchase, all the while leaving the shovel untouched. 

We may soon find ourselves in a time which was best described by Herr Berthold Brecht:

"... and the ***** that bore him is loose again!"

And since we all know who that ***** is, let us be most cautious, most circumspect in these matters.

;D

Just kidding.

Edit:  My apologies for not writing "Bee-yatch", but I could not bring myself to defile the works of Herr Brecht.

Tom

I was referring to a mason jar full of silver sixpence coins we brought from the motherland,  what were you thinking?

I was thinking about one of my neighbours.  Ya gotta wonder about a guy whose family keeps getting smaller and smaller and he does a lot of digging in his garden at night.

;)

Tom

Seems like an appropriate point in this thread for a joke:

Why do Canadians oil their gardens?

To keep their **** from rusting!

Seriously, the so-called registry of hand-guns works  equally as poorly as the rest of the registry, thus all registration of firearms should be eliminated.

Did the asterix monster turn "guns" into "****"?

Tom

Edit: I guess not.

No Tom, I thought that there may well be other things besides guns in the garden; could be chain mail for example.  The asterisks allow for creative interpretation.  ;)

I am still curious what law enforcement thinks of this move. I don't know how much they use the info in realation to answering a call and will it affect their saftey by not being able to know if there are weapons available.

Regards OLD F of S

I have been practicing my Happy Dance around this day. Man that would be nice to see them put a bullet in the registry ...pun intended. ;D

Considering that the CPC are a minority government, don't think the registry and all it's regs will dissapear anytime soon. Harper won't have the support of the NDP or the Liberals.... surefire route to a vote of non confidence.

When the head of the Canadian Chiefs of Police Association was on a talk radio call in show recently, I asked the question: 'Approximate cost to keep the registry functioning is 80 million per year (amount varies depending on press report...(.he said it was only 16 million)....based on rough math of $100k per officer, if the registry was scrapped and the funds were put towards a dedicated unit focused solely on eradicating illegal guns from Canadian streets, we could have a unit of between 160 to 800 officers. What did he think would be more effective - officers or a deeply flawed computer database?

His response (the fellow is currently Chief of Winnipeg I think), was that he wanted BOTH. In his warped world, there exists an infinite supply of money. There is no reason, stated he, that we couldn't have a nation wide task force AND the gun registry.

There was no way, no how, that I, or the talk show host, could get him to admit one would be preferable over another.

Politician indeed.

OLD F of S said:
   I am still curious what law enforcement thinks of this move. I don't know how much they use the info in realation to answering a call and will it affect their saftey by not being able to know if there are weapons available.

Regards OLD F of S

My Wife is an OPP Officer and as she told me the registry only told them that the person if know ,had guns registered to him not that they were in the house.ie non restricted guns do not haft to be kept in the owners house so yes he could have them at the Girl friends and the registry will not show that defender that he keeps in the bedroom when they answer the domestic call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back