• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a *HANDFUL* of AR-10's that are factory original NON RESTRICTED. 

These were the KLM (Dutch Airlines) AR-10's.

http://www.historicalfirearms.info/post/124413155349/klms-arctic-ar-10-in-the-same-year-as-armalite

The belief is that there were 4 made. 

tumblr_nro8z8Y2Eh1s57vgxo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nro8z8Y2Eh1s57vgxo2_1280.jpg

They were part of a polar/arctic survival kit that was put on some trans-polar flights.

I guess 7.62 is a suitable Polar Bear defense caliber, eh?

I understand that ONE of these guns made it's way to Canada, possibly two.  These guns are original non-restricted rifles.

NS

KevinB said:
I have not seen him in a year or two at least (me not going to Calgary much, and JB not really heading down here often - though occasionally for SHOT)
  He was the initiator - he did not contest.
I think he was happy it did not get prohib...

Roger. Thanks.

If a Liberal is pushing it, then it will not bode well. I saw one comment that it mirrors much of the Aussie laws and would basically make every semi-auto into a new "Restricted" class

Personally I think the bill is a joke. This is her second (or third I can't remember) time she has tried to push it. Each time it was shot down. The people who are freaking out over it are the ones who are trying to stir up the gun owners and push people to a political bias (usually Conservative or Libertarian), or are actually paranoid and afraid of losing there property (a legitimate fear, however this bill isn't one to be afraid of).

Its being pushed by a senator who knows nothing about firearms, who is about to retire, and isn't even a member of the Liberal party (remember when Trudeau threw out all the Liberal senators). Overall I am not concerned, those that are, are looking for something to be afraid of or a reason to prove the Liberal party is the boogieman they think they are (I really doubt they will try to change the laws without some sort of major incident, as it would be very costly politically and have very little political gain).

Colin P said:
If a Liberal is pushing it, then it will not bode well. I saw one comment that it mirrors much of the Aussie laws and would basically make every semi-auto into a new "Restricted" class

That's my take on it in general.  Full text of the bill is here:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&DocId=8177232

Non-Restricted and Restricted classes would be gone. Replaced by "Hunting" and "Circumscribed".

Circumscribed is effectively Restricted, except that ALL centrefire semiauto rifles firearms, not already classed as Prohibited, would now be in this class.

It's a mindbender to read.

(Edit to correct rifles vs firearms)

Max Power said:
Circumscribed is effectively Restricted, except that ALL centrefire semiauto rifles would now be in this class.

Not just rifles. The bill states that it wold Restrict/Circumscribe ALL semi-autos that fire centrefire ammo. That would include semi-auto shotguns, which are super popular with the traditional sportsman, which means this bill, as written, is really unlikely to pass. The whole point of gun control is the divide and conquer salami tactics. Equating semi-auto shotguns with handguns would do more to unite the gun owners of Canada than any single thing since the long gun registry.

Ostrozac said:
That would include semi-auto shotguns, which are super popular with the traditional sportsman, which means this bill, as written, is really unlikely to pass. The whole point of gun control is the divide and conquer salami tactics. Equating semi-auto shotguns with handguns would do more to unite the gun owners of Canada than any single thing since the long gun registry.

Don't under estimate the progressives ability to push a bonehead agenda with no basis in fact. Look at the Leap Manifesto.

PuckChaser said:
Don't under estimate the progressives ability to push a bonehead agenda with no basis in fact. Look at the Leap Manifesto.

There's a difference between "pushing" a bonehead agenda and actually "putting into action" (i.e. enacting into law) a bonehead agenda.

Lumber said:
There's a difference between "pushing" a bonehead agenda and actually "putting into action" (i.e. enacting into law) a bonehead agenda.

Yes there is. It is apparent to me that the Government we have currently in power is very adept at putting bonehead agendas into action.

Max Power said:
That's my take on it in general.  Full text of the bill is here:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&DocId=8177232

Non-Restricted and Restricted classes would be gone. Replaced by "Hunting" and "Circumscribed".

Circumscribed is effectively Restricted, except that ALL centrefire semiauto rifles firearms, not already classed as Prohibited, would now be in this class.

It's a mindbender to read.

(Edit to correct rifles vs firearms)

Ugh. How does hunting not include centrefire weapons?

George Wallace said:
This could fall into one of many threads today:

13055431_227848644245171_1732103211391321309_n.jpg

I wish that bit about "The vanishing Liberal, hunted to near extinction" was factual.  [:D

I once explained at a dinner party full of lefties that, normally leftism should die out, as they never have reached replacement rate in regards to birthrates. But like any species, they have compensated by taking over the education system and infecting the young of other species and injecting their thoughts and beliefs into them to be used as a host, similar to how some wasps use other insects to carry their young, till they eat them from the inside out. They were not amused……

This article is comical...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/firing-ar-15-horrifying-dangerous-loud-article-1.2673201

It feels like a bazooka — and sounds like a cannon.

One day after 49 people were killed in the Orlando shooting, I traveled to Philadelphia to better understand the firepower of military-style assault weapons and, hopefully, explain their appeal to gun lovers.

But mostly, I was just terrified.

Many gun shops turned down our request to fire and discuss the AR-15, a style of semi-automatic rifle popular with mass killers such as San Bernardino terrorist Syed Farook and similar to the Sig Sauer MCX rifle used by Orlando terrorist Omar Mateen.

More at link provided.

If actually knew what firing a bazooka felt like, or how loud an actual cannon firing sounded, he would be startled at all by 5.56 rounds.

Well, the article raises some interesting questions, such as:

How on earth can a person who, by his own admission has only fired a handgun before and therefore has clearly never served in uniform, know how a bazooka (a term, which he should know has not been used since WWII) feels, or how a gun sounds?

And, what the hell is temporary PTSD? (I just checked my DSM 5, sorry it's such a new mental disorder that it's not in there yet).

However, I do like some of the positions of the fellow who showed him, Mr. Stelmach, and in particular the idea that background checks should now include family and close associates. The circle of friends or family who either don't denounce gun purchasers that they know have a problem and are up to no good, or know of the problem and would denounce if they knew that the person is in the process of acquiring a gun, appears to be a good indicator of potential problem nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back